Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL manufacturing in China

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Wow, as long as everyone is beating this place to an angry pulp, maybe, if we ask really nice, we could be founding members of the Eminence Heritage website.

Oh wait, nobody wants to be members of an Eminence heritage site ...
    No, I am not angry. But, we are discussing ALL things JBL, and other options, as well as companies that do continue to manufacture here in the U.S.A! Like it or not, JBL,s move, is something to discuss, and someone brought up AES drivers, they look interesting.

We are not strictly limited to only discussing the positive aspects of JBL! We are making comparisons of the types of drivers manufactured by JBL, today, and WHERE, and other USA brands making interesting items, however, no one, certainly not I, is saying eminence is an alternative to JBL! Only that Eminence and AES manufacture here.
    scottyj

What's the housing market like in VA right now?? sheesh!

It depends on where you are, but the tax base is hammered pretty hard, a lot of manufacturing has gone offshore - pretty much like everywhere else, I hear ...

Philip Morris is still in Richmond, tho they pulled out of NC and Kentucky -
    but if they get hammered with any more penalties, they'll likely go offshore too.

These days a lot of the money gets generated in Northern Virgina, near DC -
    but that gets shipped down to Richmond and they keep most of it,
    not spending much on roads and infrastructure up here!

What? What's with the "sheesh"? It has EVERYTHING to with it (whether they stay or go).

And yes, you are correct, the printing presses are running 24 hours a day I heard.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    But, how can a company like this offer these kinds of products at all? When other MAJOR companies have stopped making drivers using these topologies because it was too costly to produce!
    AE Speakers is a business serving a niche market. JBL is trying to be all things to all people.

I like Porsche's slogan that states that their car is not designed to be all things to all people, but everything to someone. They serve a niche market and their focus is sharper than companies like Ford. It makes it easier for Porsche to earn #1 for customer satisfaction world wide, which they did according to JD Powers.

What's the housing market like in VA right now?? sheesh!

It depends on where you are, but the tax base is hammered pretty hard, a lot of manufacturing has gone offshore - pretty much like everywhere else, I hear ...

Philip Morris is still in Richmond, tho they pulled out of NC and Kentucky -
    but if they get hammered with any more penalties, they'll likely go offshore too.

These days a lot of the money gets generated in Northern Virgina, near DC -
    but that gets shipped down to Richmond and they keep most of it,
    not spending much on roads and infrastructure up here!
    There is no "tax base" without manufacturing and it's subsequent employment of the folks in and around the area. It's that simple.

"Penalties"? Another word for taxes. Emasculate the tobacco industry, put many otherwise unemployable folks out of work, then wonder why THEY can't make their house payment or rent.
    Yet, all the while, taxing the SH&T out of the end product.

It's like watching a bad movie.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
    AE Speakers is a business serving a niche market. JBL is trying to be all things to all people.

I like Porsche's slogan that states that their car is not designed to be all things to all people, but everything to some people. They serve a niche market and their focus is sharper than companies like Ford. It makes it easier for Porsche to earn #1 for customer satisfaction world wide, which they did according to JD Powers.
    I know. I looked at the site you posted the link, and I was actually quite surprised to see what they make, and read their mission statements. Their 18in woofer has interest to me, as I use mostly JBL, but of the twenty 18,s in my room, 4 of them are not JBL.

I use JBL horns and tweeters, but I also use TAD 15,s! And we always have a little TAD TALK pop up here and there.

To be clear, the things I use JBL, as long as the quality remains JBL, I will continue to use JBL! But, my room was NEVER 100% JBL, we started with Altec, and, then became JBL and Altec.

Today, I still use MOSTLY JBL, but, also have some other needs.
    scottyj

You said what's the housing mkt like in Kentucky and I replied with
    "What's the housing mkt like in VA" because we are a right-to-work state as well.

My brother-in-law in Richmond area has jumped careers a few times as companies like Stanley moved out,
    and he's trying to keep a decent paying job (daughter in college, etc)

Sheesh just meant the mortgage crisis crashed pretty hard here, too.
    Not like Ohio, of course, but there are a lot of defaults, a lot of folks under water and walking away.
    We see it on the local news all over the area.

Come try Kalifonia for a while. The numbers where you are, are a drop in the bucket.
    The Southern states are essentially sound; why do you think so many new folks are heading your way.
    Sad part is, "call a place paradise, kiss it goodbye"
    Virginia is the place to be right now though, the majority of their law makers still know what the Constitution is.
    You'll be "OK" for a good while there!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    There is no "tax base" without manufacturing and it's subsequent employment of the folks in and around the area. It's that simple.

"Penalties"? Another word for taxes. Emasculate the tobacco industry, put many otherwise unemployable folks out of work, then wonder why THEY can't make their house payment or rent.
    Yet, all the while, taxing the SH&T out of the end product.

It's like watching a bad movie.

Thomas
    Hold up a second. This is a discussion about JBL manufacturing, and a few other audio items popped up. Tax bases, housing markets, and politics weren't part of this. Please keep this thread to audio!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Hold up a second. This is a discussion about JBL manufacturing, and a few other audio items popped up. Tax bases, housing markets, and politics weren't part of this. Please keep this thread to audio!

Same mistakes apply to both. Just citing similar examples. You don't think our current condition, our "economy" and current consumer trends have a direct impact and connection to what JBL (Harman) is doing?

It's the same cancer, it's just spreading to another body part and in this case it's hitting very close to home (and our hearts).

That's generally when people start to complain. And when it's too late.

ALL roads lead to China bud. Not good

Thomas

The thread is about JBL, and a few other audio brands popped up. Tobacco, taxes, politics, housing, and unions are not welcome discussion!

The forum has rules, ones you agreed to abide by when you joined!

Please respect our forum rules.
    scottyj

Hey Wagner (Thomas) and Heather and everyone else... we've already had a multi-hundred post thread discussing the politics of this subject.

We won't be having another. OK?

We all agree that we are disappointed that JBL under the control of Harman International has plans to stop making product in the USA. So instead of going on about chickens and eggs, Red State-Blue State and all the rest, please give it a rest.
    Thanks.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

It's the same cancer, it's just spreading to another body part and in this case it's hitting very close to home (and our hearts).
    We Brits are big on irony and this post, following your(OT) tobacco tax lament is a classic.

Those AE baskets look a like piece of art.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    We Brits are big on irony and this post, following your(OT) tobacco tax lament is a classic.

Sincere thanks to you,

Thomas

Obsolete
    Not my kind of art. To be fair, I think the 1500AL is ugly too. Thankfully it gets bolted to a baffle and has a chance to look "normal".

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Not my kind of art. To be fair, I think the 1500AL is ugly too. Thankfully it gets bolted to a baffle and has a chance to look "normal".
    I did say a 'piece' not a 'work'....

I did say a 'piece' not a 'work'....
    They look similar to the old Gauss frames, to me.
    scottyj

Thread Information