Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 wpc stereo amp suggestions?

Tom if you felt a need to upgrade from that I'd say you have a problem. Hey can you post your address and daily schedule?

Nice Amp, What Preamp are you using?

C46 McIntosh

I ownde a MC402 a few years back. Great ampflifier. Magcial mids and highs, but lacks ultimate controll over large woofers.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Define large. Seems to control the hell out of the 1400 array 14"s.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Define large. Seems to control the hell out of the 1400 array 14"s.

12" and up. On an array 1400 i found it to be a bit mushy. Lots of bass, digging deep, but compared to a Crown XTi-1000 it was completely trumped. Remind you, this is only the bass, lets say a few hundred Hz and down. Upwards the 402 is among the very best i have tried.

Only 2 amplifier i THINK is better in the mid/high is the Halcro DM58's and the Marantz MA-9's. I have not tested theese in the same setup, but my money is on the Marantz for tonal excellense. The Halcro's have bit tighter bass. Both best the 402 down low.

BTW: I'm not trying to be a wiseguy. Just posting my experience with the different amplifiers.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

L150's will be picked up on Friday!

Tuesday afternoon, Orange County Speaker called me with the news that the L150's are ready for pick up. The re-foam and some minor work is done. Speakers test ok and sound "good". I'll take off work early this Friday and am looking forward to hearing them!

The L150's will rock you!

Friday, I took off work early to pick up the L150’s from Orange County Speaker and began listening that evening. I like ‘em! Initially, a tweeter was sounding scratchy when the pair of speakers was first fired up with the McIntosh MC-2205, but a few minutes later the problem went away and remains okay. The MC-2205 delivers enough power for the speakers. Thanks again for the advice. The speakers have good clarity and when the bass kicks in – it really kicks in! During the first twenty seconds of 2001: A Space Odyssey, track 8, Also Sprach Zarathustra, I was in the other room and it seemed like the house shook. I tend to favor my 4412’s sonically and with imaging, but the L150’s are likely too big for my living area. Of course, these are minor matters. LOL! All music sounds great: classic rock (FM stereo broadcasts using a McIntosh MR-77 tuner, and listened to Pink Floyd Animals CD), classical (KUSC and an opera CD), jazz and classic popular tunes. I’ll have to look into buying some organ music CDs with deep bass for fun. ORCO Spkr did a great job with the woofers and passive-radiators foam surrounds. They tell me that all components test okay, “sounds good” and they like the cabinets. I’m looking forward to hearing the speakers after burn in, but gotta say that they already sound great. When the guy at ORCO Spkr loaded my minivan he said, “take ‘em home and blast them!” LMAO! Goodness! Indeed, the L150’s most certainly are capable of loud volumes for classic rock because they will rock you! Everyone’s input is appreciated. I love old JBLs!!!
    Last edited by LuvOldJBL; 04-04-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: wrong word choice, passive-woofers changed to passive-radiators.

Thread Information