Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Childproofing speakers

Childproofing speakers

Start laughing now. Take a paragon, Hartsfields, L-300,65,110,100,200,212,150 4312, B460,Aquarius. All mint and restored and running in different rooms. Add a child in about three weeks. I'd say the L-300s will go first. The grills will be smashed and the lens obliterated. I bought a pair of metal grills to install over the woofers on the 12 inch woofers. Will I be reported to child protective services if I put mouse traps in the paragon on the path to the woofer? Anyone make titanium lens for the LE-85s? Any thoughts or sources for the metal grills like the ones used in cars? I use a 1/8 inch router bit and screen spline to install cloth so that won't be a problem. My friends put electric tape around thier oriental carpet to keep the cat off and they kept stepping on it so forget that. Oh and that idea of disipline? Start your keyboards now...........

Quote Originally Posted by johnhb View Post
    Take a paragon, Hartsfields, L-300,65,110,100,200,212,150 4312, B460,Aquarius. All mint and restored .
    I would love to. Where do you live?

Kidding of course. Best of luck!

Try reasoning with the child.

Cattle prods. They aren't just for cattle anymore
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

new and inproved

As mentioned before, The newest cone treatment:

Aquablast

Actually a pressure treated mat in front of the speakers connected to an air horn works well.

Getting the cat claw marks off the ceiling and dog shit off the floor is another matter

Duct Tape

I can not comment on cats as I have none. Besides, I would not want to mess with PETA!

But...Kids I know ....... I have a boy and girl who are now fourteen and seven respectively. Trust me...Child proof only exists in the imagination of those who have not experienced the extended joy and bliss of parenthood. Don't let your kids fool you....they are resourseful and tenacious! I've had torn grill cloth, fingers holes in woofers, toppled speakers, maimed veneer and peanut butter sandwiches (open faced) manhandled into dvd players. Need I say more!

Since it's against the law to spank your kids, what worked for me is duct tape. Try Duck taping them to the back of a closet door when you're not supervising them or when you're trying enjoying your rig.

Seriously...Good Luck! Its only money! Teach them the joys of JBL!

I know someone with 4 cats. One of them attacked a midrange surround. No cat fessed up to it so alas no one was punished. He is nicer than I am.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Children with thier hands and feet tied never seem to be a problem around speakers......

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Children with their hands and feet tied never seem to be a problem around speakers......

Allan.
    If thy child offend thee, duct tape them to a chair ...

Robert Heinlein claimed he subscribed to the bung theory of child rearing -
    when they are young, put them in a barrel and feed through the bung hole ...
    when they turn 17, hammer in the bung.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLOG View Post

Seriously...Good Luck! Its only money! Teach them the joys of JBL!
    LOL yes teach them the ways of JBL convert them to JBL and give them a Bose speaker and screw driver!

Children are like cats their just curious that’s all, little buggers. Mouse traps indeed.

Man-cave for the good stuff.

From someone whose L112s survived three kids.

The comparatively indestructible C37 wasn't a problem in the living room.

But then my three were all girls. If you have a boy, my condolences to your JBLs.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

funny thread that just caught my eye on the main page, but a topic I'm sensitive to. I hv a 3yr old that is an absolute destructive monster (have a 7 and 9 yr old and this one is 3x worse than the other two).

I own L100 (original owner), L7, L5, and an LC1. He recently took the cover off my LC1 and "push buttons".....you know the "buttons" they put in the middle of the drivers, some might call it, a, uh, dust cap.

The dust cap on the mids is not the end of the world, and this is a new speaker over a vintage (still cost 300 bones), but he managed to get his grubby little fingers on the Ti tweeter behind the waveguide and push it in, sound still comes out but no doubt not the same sound. my wife put a giant rubber band around the speaker when he first started screwing with it, and in my stubborness for looks I took it off, which took his deviant mind about 1 day to notice and go right for the jugular. I wish I never would have taken the rubber band off!! The L5/L7 covers are little trickier to remove but in a stroke of complete genius JBL made the dust caps of the same neoprene rubber the surrounds are made from, you can push them in all day long and they just come right back out. Bottom line, tape...bad for wood finish, I really recommend the giant packing rubber bands as something they cannot remove and will not damage the finish.....won't look real pretty, but effective.

.....?...

....Boys will be boys and girls have long since entered the equation. A long time ago...I just happen to look at my speakers..the drivers and such as I was relaxing, and noticed one midrange dust cap dinged in! I did ask my two boys if they knew anything about this..(they were about 6 and 7 at the time and perfectly behaved, never any problem, lots of fun to go to the races with and camping etc.) and they so honestly replied...jee..no! It was a few years later when I traded those speakers for ...can't remember .. ? and my oldest boy fested' up to it....I was just curious and well....touched it....and....
    Well at least he admitted to being part of the plot. As a teacher of Exceptional Education (special ed) I've sure learned how to read the face! And realized no matter what rule you ever should impose...it will be broken.
    The only way to child proof a system is to install it in a separate building...and just say it's the septic recycling center.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    I know someone with 4 cats. One of them attacked a midrange surround. No cat fessed up to it so alas no one was punished. He is nicer than I am.
    Gee I wonder who you are talking about!

Actually 2 midranges and an irreplaceable tweeter (Allison).
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Positive/Negative Reinforcement

Discipline depends on their age:

1) Positive

Kids. Leave dad's "precious" audio stuff alone and I'll give you $X.XX/day to do so. (Depending on your budget. Maybe after getting all that cool gear you have no money left over.) Of course, this leads them on a greedy capitalistic path.

2) Negative

Kids. Touch dad's "precious" audio stuff and he will touch one of your "precious" items. It will disappear for an amount of time you don't want to think about. Then again, you may be fostering years of counseling when they grow up.

Wait until you come home one day and your two year old daughter has extracted about 40 of your precious cassette archive tapes. She's had so much fun pulling the pretty tape out and playing with it.

Stashing all in another building with you with the only keys is the best solution so far.

I guess I was lucky!

But I only had girls, would probably been different if I had son.
    I only had one indecent, my oldest daughter at age 3 tried to play a record and destroyed the stylist on my Shure M55e. After this I built some shelf's and put every thing up high where little hands could not get to. I all wise keep grill cloth on my speakers.
    I think I also used the phrase "TOUCH AND DIE!!!! John

Thread Information