Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Truextent Diaphragms in JBL four-inch compression drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I thought that request was quite peculiar myself... I don't think it was meant to trivialize your work, I think it was posted out of ignorance. The assumption being, it would be interesting to see what these diaphragms do in a more familiar driver and affordable horn.

I think most of us who work with a variety of horns and drivers can make great use of the information posted on this thread... unfortunately not everyone gets it.

Widget
    What is another measurement on CLIO a problem? If it is I fail to see it. If for some reason it was taken to "trivialize" the research and hard work already posted, that is not true and WAY off base...

Quote Originally Posted by JoMoCo View Post
    What is another measurement on CLIO a problem? If it is I fail to see it.
    As for CLIO, the information posted into LEAP was gathered using CLIO, and very likely more accurately so. The amount of clutter at Zilchlabs makes me a bit leery of treating any of the posted measurements from Zilchlabs as "laboratory" measurements.
    If for some reason it was taken to "trivialize" the research and hard work already posted, that is not true and WAY off base...
    I didn't think you were meaning to be as rude as I originally took your post and as 4313B obviously took it.

The reason it seems rude is it feels like you are questioning the validity of the original work.

Widget

Question: Why should CLIO give any different results?

I have measured with TrueRTA, CLIO, HolmImpulse, WinMLS, NTI system, and the Copland DRC.

They all measure the same, so why?

I applaud 4313B's work on this, and I'm tempted to try a combination of 2446/Truextent after seeing the measurements.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I think most of us who work with a variety of horns and drivers can make great use of the information posted on this thread...
    Hearty agreement. That's not changed by any subsequent posts.
    deHavilland Aries SE 845; UltraFi Monaco SE 845
    Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL 2441, LE15B; TAD 2402 clones

As for CLIO, the information posted into LEAP was gathered using CLIO

Hehe...we posted at the same time.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Wavelet Analysis

Please notice the key words in my post are wavelet analysis, which to my understanding is a newer graphical tool not all are aware of or use & requires CLIO measurement 8.5 or above. and two other horns not included in the research already posted.

Pretty simple really. Personal negative interpretations past that? not stated or intended or mine:dont-know

Personally, I feel troubled that this discussion and the work invested by 4313B has somehow seemingly come under fire. All of the information presented is valuable and it took considerable effort to achieve. Once again, I thank 4313B for these efforts.

There is great value to achieving test results for the purpose of developing filters to best release the capabilities of any great driver/diaphragm/horn combination. Unfortunately, I know precious little about filter design. Among what little I do know, is the belief that any change to any one of the three can cause significant changes to the subsequent response. This is the reason I asked 4313B to test my newly developed horns with my drivers and my diaphragms. Once this is obtained, there is great hope to be able to put the information to use in developing a filter to release it's potential. Frankly, I am stoked. The horns would be in 4313B's posession at this moment, if I hadn't decided to clean up the throats before sending them to him.

Further, I own the best version of TrueRTA and bought it in hopes of testing systems. However, to date, I haven't been able to trust the readings I get from it. I do, however, trust 4313B can achieve the results I cannot. Once again, thank you 4313B.

That said, it's easy to understand why everyone would like the combination in their system tested. Is there anyone here reading this that wouldn't? (unless they are already ahead of that)

Please notice the key words in my post are wavelet analysis, which to my understanding is a newer graphical tool not all are aware of or use & requires CLIO measurement 8.5 or above. and two other horns not included in the research already posted.

Pretty simple really. Personal negative interpretations past that? not stated or intended or mine:dont-know
    I acknowledged that you were interested in the other horns... as for the wavelet analysis, in my mind those colorful plots were added to sell new CLIO licenses and are not terribly useful... the reason why I haven't bothered to upgrade my CLIO software and why I didn't acknowledge it in your original post.

If you like those plots and are curious about how those specific horns might perform, why not PM Zilch and ask him to buy a TruExtent diaphragm and post away. He doesn't seem to mind buying all manner of bits and pieces to test.

I am a little surprised that you can't see how your post could have been misunderstood, but I think we all know where everyone is coming from at this point. Thanks for graciously clarifying your post.

Widget

I would like to thank 4313B for the measurements here. It will serve reference for me later on.

I know that he puts great effort into making sure that they are as spot on as he can get them givin there isn't any anoic chamber to further make the measurements better than they are.

Not often do people have LEAP to do that, let alone post them here for all to use.

EDIT: I see that I have repeated others but still stand by my statement!
    Always fun learning more.......

In spite of this thread heading south...

I thank 4313B for what he has accomplished and shared with us!

I for one will be able to use this data for my own personal system in the very near future.

It's a shame the thread is going this direction as there is a wealth of information contained within it.

Regards, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The only two tasks that I have left in this thread (that I am aware of) are measuring Dan's horn and measuring the 2446 with the Truextent diaphragm on the 2311 or H93 horn with the 4355 network.
    JBL Pro for home use!

Evening, All,

I, too, would like to thank 4313B for undertaking the task, and for sharing his results with the rest of us. Were it not for several LH members, like him, we would all be the poorer, most certainly!! Even though I am not undertaking any projects right now, I still have high hopes for quite a few such things in the future. Without guidance, education, and information, from our JBL Elders, like 4313B, many of us would be lost in the dark, without a clue. I think that his contributions, and those of the others who share such valuable testing results and information, make LH the special place that it is, and I very much appreciate that!! Thanks, very much, Sir, and please continue to shine the light of JBL truth on those project you undertake! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Obsolete

Exclamation Measurements talk....all else may be odiferous...

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    It's a shame the thread is going this direction as there is a wealth of information contained within it.
    I told you we needed to go private with it and I should have followed through... we might have actually accomplished everything to good end.

In any case, cosmos doesn't need his horn measured now and I really couldn't care less about the Be diaphragms in the 4345's or 4355's so I'm returning the horns and drivers this morning.

Measurements talk....all else may be odiferous...
    Thanks for sharing your ignorance in my thread... I addressed the point of the thread in the very first post because I knew some idiot would show up posting something like this...

Jumping back a bit, if some one has a loose H4338, I could 3D model it with our Faro Arm. A completely non damaging light contact proccess.

We could probably rough them in our four axis mill, never cut wood in one of them, yet.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I really hate to ask this ; but, how about locking up this thread now ?

- It started to go south at post 40 when the grand-poobah of the Econwavers figured this thread somehow should be about them .
    - JOMOCO merely walked through the door that Zilch opened for him .

- I can't think of anything that would rankle Giskard more than a telegraphed attitude ( that he too should be happy to act as a sales tool for P.E. and eBay ) .

- My hats off to Giskard for hanging in as long as he did .

<> Earl K

OK, Earl, and 4313, your request has been acknowledged, and it's done. The thread is closed.

Unless one of the administrators feels differently about this, it will remain closed. It does seem as if the original intention of measuring the be diaphragms from TrueExtent has been satisfied.
    scottyj

Thread Information