Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer sourced Music

[quote=midlife;283833]
    Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
    Why? It's just a computer data stream either way.

So no degredation of sound with a usb as compared to the other options?
    Everything I've read on the subject claims there is a serious reduction in quality when using a USB out. That's why I chose the Apple TV (or any Apple product)-it has an optical out.
    Check this
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...-Hardware-List

By the way, I'm looking to try a new DAC, because I believe that was part of the problem However, I'm not going to dump a lot of money into this because things are changing FAST in this area.....

[quote=evans224;283842]
    Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Everything I've read on the subject claims there is a serious reduction in quality when using a USB out. That's why I chose the Apple TV (or any Apple product)-it has an optical out.
    Check this
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...-Hardware-List

By the way, I'm looking to try a new DAC, because I believe that was part of the problem However, I'm not going to dump a lot of money into this because things are changing FAST in this area.....
    Is optical the best signal option or once you get away from usb they become very close? What about this one?; http://www.mavaudio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1/

I've heard both coaxial and optical cables from my CD player to the DAC, and I could not hear the difference. "Audiophiles" claim that if given the choice, the coaxial cable is the one to use.

As for the Tube Magic DAC, it sounds interesting. The price is certainly right. I"m not sure how an iPod would sound if plugged directly into it-you'd have to have lossless files on it. Wadia makes a player that is designed for this purpose, so I suppose it could be done well.

Why? It's just a computer data stream either way.
    All modern Macs have optical digital outputs, for use with any consumer A/V receiver or separate DAC. Some not-a-Macs might, too. Likewise, the Apple AirPort Express mini-router has an optical out that JA at Stereophile measured to be bit-perfect.
    There is seemingly more to this than bit perfect. As I posted above, I was able to repeatedly hear a difference in comparing an optical vs. a coaxial input on my DAC. Many others have claimed similar results with USB. I haven't studied it and do not know why this might be, but it would seem that being, "bit perfect" is not everything.

Quote Originally Posted by evans224 View Post
    I've heard both coaxial and optical cables from my CD player to the DAC, and I could not hear the difference.
    I wonder if my case was due to an inferior optical output or input? My DAC has several inputs making it easy to make instantaneous A/B/C... comparisons. Did yours? Alternatively, perhaps my system or ears are more resolving? I couldn't say.

I will say that using the same coaxial cables, I can not hear a difference between any one of three CD players or my iPod (via the Wadia)... they all sound exactly the same when playing through the same DAC. They all sound significantly better playing through that DAC than they do using their own analog outs. Comparing the three players' analog outs, they all do sound quite different... the Oppo BDP-83SE being the best.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There is seemingly more to this than bit perfect. As I posted above, I was able to repeatedly hear a difference in comparing an optical vs. a coaxial input on my DAC. Many others have claimed similar results with USB. I haven't studied it and do not know why this might be, but it would seem that being, "bit perfect" is not everything.
    I have never owned an USB dac but the dac for my system has both optical and coax and I can say there was a difference. Optical was thin lacking warmth. Coax was much fuller.

I wonder if my case was due to an inferior optical output or input? My DAC has several inputs making it easy to make instantaneous A/B/C... comparisons. Did yours? Alternatively, perhaps my system or ears are more resolving? I couldn't say.

I will say that using the same coaxial cables, I can not hear a difference between any one of three CD players or my iPod (via the Wadia)... they all sound exactly the same when playing through the same DAC. They all sound significantly better playing through that DAC than they do using their own analog outs. Comparing the three players' analog outs, they all do sound quite different... the Oppo BDP-83SE being the best.

Widget
    I do not think you have an inferior optical in or output.
    I have an Intel mainboard that has an optical out and tried to plug it in to my Musical Fidelity X10 dac and sounded the same as the other optical sources. I then tried a soundblaster card that had a coax out, once again it sounded much better.

I really do want to try a HDMI out (computer) to a receiver and see how that sounds.

BTW The Oppo sounds to be just a wonderful player. That should be my next.
    Always fun learning more.......

Widget
    The DacMagic is the same, with multiple inputs. As far as system resolution, I was using a Hafler 9505 and an Adcom GFP-750-not exactly tube-like, but plenty of head room! Perhaps that's what happened to my ears....
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post

I then tried a soundblaster card that had a coax out, once again it sounded much better.
    I don't know if the comparison holds true here. I was using a Rega Saturn CD player with both optical and coaxial outs. I have no experience with a computer sound card.

OKAY .. I'm a PC keyboard snob.

And with the new PC , it's a nice sound platform.

The PC has a Realtec 7.1 card that does 24/192.
    Amp is a Technics integrated (130 wpc) outputting to JBL 120ti's.

I use FLAC whenever possible , BUT have never been completely happy with any of my keyboards, till now.

Last week I saw the Dell keyboard. Was interested as it was compact, had great key feel, 2 USB ports
    and a nice lighted audio section, complete with a knob adjusted fine volume control.

Got a good price and hauled it home. Yup I had judged it correctly. The web confirmed it. Reviews of love.

>> http://www.amazon.com/Dell-SK-8135-M.../dp/B002G9OZXG

it is fast at controlling iTunes, best keys I can ever recall , heavy little bugger. Gonna have to find spares
    (just in case...)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information