Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer sourced Music

Computer sourced Music

Computer Sourced Music seems to have caught up with some high end stuff. Of course the quality of the sound card and using an external DAC is a must whats your opinion?
    Thanks
    Dave

Aren't sound cards usually also DACs? I suppose that a sound card that output S/PDIF or AES/EBU feeding a DAC would be better than using a usb connection, but I think the most common way to access music via a computer in a high end manner is to use a high quality external usb DAC.

I haven't gone there yet myself... I am currently using an iPod loaded with lossless files, a Wadia dock that pulls the raw digital data out of the iPod and via a S/PDIF connection and feeds my external DAC. The results are indistinguishable from a CD playing via S/PDIF into the same DAC and both sound significantly better than any CD player I could afford.

There are also a number of audio appliances that facilitate music management and interface between your server/hard drive and your playback system. I see this area as one that is currently in a high state of flux and I wouldn't spend a gob of money in any particular part of it as I am fairly certain, CDs will soon be only a memory and our digital music world will be significantly different sooner rather than later.

That said, a large mirrored network accessible drive to store all of your music in a lossless format along with a high quality external DAC is likely not a bad starting point.

Widget

While I have never used an top end upscale sound card, I have used good ones to good success. I don't think what I have used sounds as good as CD, Vinyl or RtR, it sounds good enough for casual listening. I am currently considering purchasing a Asus Xonar STX sound card and I have ripped all of my CDs to FLAC and they reside on a networked hard drive.

In other words, I am for it, but haven't gotten there yet.

I was looking into this http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QY0Ud4MG0DMfXNiQ

as an option for building my media server.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    I was looking into this...
    For me it is all about the analog section. You can get stellar digital specs from relatively inexpensive chipsets... if those chipsets aren't handled correctly and mated to stellar analog (within the DAC) then I just wouldn't bother.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    For me it is all about the analog section. You can get stellar digital specs from relatively inexpensive chipsets... if those chipsets aren't handled correctly and mated to stellar analog (within the DAC) then I just wouldn't bother.

Widget
    I totally agree with you there Widget.

Last fall I bought 2 identical DIY Dac's with a chipset that have been praised (at least by some). The excersize was to compare stock to one with completely rebuilt analog section. The new analog section was so unbelievably much better than the stock that no one listening to both would suspect that it actually was the same DAC's....

I have set up a music server, loaded with most of my CD's in flac format. I use a Squeezebox to get the digital data feeding the external DAC.

I read som spec's of a DIY DAC a while back suggesting ~20dB poorer THD and S/N ratio using USB compared to S/PDIF and optical on the same DAC.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

I'm in the process of ripping all my cd's to iTunes on a mac with 2TB external HD.Using SqueezeBox server via Airport/Router/ to SB3(classic) feeding a Benchmark DAC1-sounds better than stand alone cd feeding same dac.
    Cooky

Widget

I too want good analog, this has been the reason I have not done this in the past.
    It uses Burr Brown DA converters as well as being a PCIe card not usb.

My position is, this card can feed my system via HDMI 1.3a with True HD and DTS Master as well. so if I do not want to use analog it is still fine.

This card may be the one that does it. Have to try it to find out.
    Typically ASUS has provided top notch products for many years so we will see.

As far as server type applications I have been looking at this chassis for my storage.
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...46TQ-R1200.cfm

I really want a high performance storage sub system (6gb sec SAS) to serve the data to other appliances so I have no lag. I also have a Cisco WS-C2960S-24PS-L for switch duty's for fast network access as well as PoE. Wireless is slow compared to hard wire so I have been running cat6 throughout the house.

As well, this will be a central point for backups and other computer related duties for all stuff digital.

I have used a 160 gb Apple Tv connected via optical output to a Cambridge Audio dacMagic. I rip all my music in lossless format, so the 160gb hard drive is a bit on the small side. It sounded very good, but not quite to my liking-it just lacked depth, color............something. Anyway, the coolest part was using my Ipod touch as a remote control-all 5000 songs at the tip f my fingers. Lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by evans224 View Post
    I have used a 160 gb Apple Tv connected via optical output to a Cambridge Audio dacMagic. I rip all my music in lossless format, so the 160gb hard drive is a bit on the small side. It sounded very good, but not quite to my liking-it just lacked depth, color............something.
    Two suggestions...

First, perhaps a better DAC is in order.

Second, I read on line somewhere that to get the most out of your digital device, you needed to use a proper digital cable. It was suggested that even going optical with an optical cable would be superior to using an analog unbalanced "RCA" audio cable. In the discussion, a fellow reported back that he tried the optical Toslink setup and indeed "it was a great improvement". I just couldn't resist, I have optical cables in my tool bag so I ran out and grabbed one and did a quick comparison. I also used a dedicated but "affordable" digital cable as well as a medium range Audioquest analog cable.

Who knew?! There were differences. The optical cable was thin, bright and a bit harsh... the analog and digital cables were fairly similar to each other and decidedly superior to the optical cable, but the analog cable was decidedly more spacious sounding as well as having a more solid bottom end. I repeated the test double blind several times with a couple of listeners. 100% correlation! I've never had that conclusive a result swapping cables in an analog scenario.

Now, reflecting on it, while it is true that digital is just ones and zeros, it is actually a square wave at 44.1KHz... that requires a theoretical infinite bandwidth, and a practical bandwidth approaching RF. It is true that a lesser quality signal works, I am guessing that the better the resolution the lower the noise floor and less errors etc...

Widget

I don't know this stuff real well but I want to use my computer as a music source. What output of the computer should I use, how much of a stand alone dac do I need and how important will the cables be? I had considered a Maverick Audio D1 dac @ $200 using the usb link and rca's to my preamp...good, bad, or ugly?? thanks

Have a look at this M-audio USB unit.

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    I don't know this stuff real well but I want to use my computer as a music source. What output of the computer should I use, how much of a stand alone dac do I need and how important will the cables be? I had considered a Maverick Audio D1 dac @ $200 using the usb link and rca's to my preamp...good, bad, or ugly?? thanks
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit.html

Aren't sound cards usually also DACs? I suppose that a sound card that output S/PDIF or AES/EBU feeding a DAC would be better than using a usb connection,
    Why? It's just a computer data stream either way.

but I think the most common way to access music via a computer in a high end manner is to use a high quality external usb DAC.
    All modern Macs have optical digital outputs, for use with any consumer A/V receiver or separate DAC. Some not-a-Macs might, too. Likewise, the Apple AirPort Express mini-router has an optical out that JA at Stereophile measured to be bit-perfect.

I've been almost exclusively computer audio based (sadly, can't play SACD's or DVD-A's on a Mac) for half a decade now, and see no reason to regress from that. Identical sound and massively superior convenience.

[quote=DS-21;283824]Why? It's just a computer data stream either way.

So no degredation of sound with a usb as compared to the other options?

Thread Information