Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K2-9800se vs K2-9900

K2-9800se vs K2-9900

I have done an A-B comparison of the K2 model's in my store. I absolutely love the 9800se and what they are all about, But to my suprise when the 9900's arrived and I did the A-B the 9900's just outperformed the 9800's by quite a bit in all aspect's. Low frequency response was much nicer and with the 4inch midrange just seemed to handle the transients much nicer. I am now in the K2 9900's camp and believe at it's price it is just a brilliant loudspeaker. Jazz, classical,Rock, any type of music is just superb and the new cabinet design is amazing of course because it is a mini Everest basically.

Life is good when you have it like that. And you can say to customers that the S9900 is a minispeaker
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    I have done an A-B comparison of the K2 model's in my store. I absolutely love the 9800se and what they are all about, But to my suprise when the 9900's arrived and I did the A-B the 9900's just outperformed the 9800's by quite a bit in all aspect's. Low frequency response was much nicer and with the 4inch midrange just seemed to handle the transients much nicer. I am now in the K2 9900's camp and believe at it's price it is just a brilliant loudspeaker. Jazz, classical,Rock, any type of music is just superb and the new cabinet design is amazing of course because it is a mini Everest basically.
    Cool! Thanks for the post!

Nice...very nice.

Thanks Guys. I am very lucky to have sold JBL for 30 sum years beside my father who made me read the Altec pro book front to back and back to front when I was young. This was homework for me. I tell people I meet at audio shows everywhere that know JBL/ALtec that I was bounced on a D-130 instead of his knee when I was young. I recently did a factory tour in Northridge and met Greg which was a childhood dream come true for me. This is why I have Everest DD-6600 k2-9900 and k2-9800 and all Array products in my store. In my travels to Audio shows everywhere I see gear in the thousands of dollars and IMO nothing seems to sound like the above mentioned. Yes I may be a little bias to JBL product but I love Compression drivers.

This is why I have Everest DD-6600 k2-9900 and k2-9800 and all Array products in my store. In my travels to Audio shows everywhere I see gear in the thousands of dollars and IMO nothing seems to sound like the above mentioned. Yes I may be a little bias to JBL product but I love Compression drivers.
    Where is your store? If it's close, I want to visit!

If inappropriate for the forum, please PM me.

Thanks Guys. I am very lucky to have sold JBL for 30 sum years beside my father who made me read the Altec pro book front to back and back to front when I was young. This was homework for me. I tell people I meet at audio shows everywhere that know JBL/ALtec that I was bounced on a D-130 instead of his knee when I was young. I recently did a factory tour in Northridge and meet Greg which was a childhood dream come true for me. This is why I have Everest DD-6600 k2-9900 and k2-9800 and all Array products in my store. In my travels to Audio shows everywhere I see gear in the thousands of dollars and IMO nothing seems to sound like the above mentioned. Yes I may be a little bias to JBL product but I love Compression drivers.

Sounds like you have set up my dreamstore ;D

Just out of curiosity, what electronics do you prefer with the reference JBL products? Personally I'm biased towards ARC, Mc and ML. Have you tried Quicksilver?

Obsolete
    I recently did a factory tour in Northridge and meet Greg which was a childhood dream come true for me.

I really hope Greg knows what a positive influence he has had on so many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Where is your store? If it's close, I want to visit!
    That's a trip I'd make too.

Here's their Google Maps link from their website.

To the question on amplification, as I have mentioned I have used synthesis amplifiers which preformed well S-800 in specifics, Bryston with there new SST squared 28b's or 7B's is really unbelievable,And Krell Evolution series really controls the low frequency to a degree I have not heard in other amplifiers. I also have used a Copland tube pre amp and it was brilliant at it's price range.

The below brands you metioned mc, ml, arc I like to but the above is just what I prefer. I really gravitate to the 28b sst's alot they are really state of the art on a budget, at this level. If price is no object the Krell Evolution does get write up's with this saying. (Krell is the Master of Large transistor amplifiers) I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

No, not going to happen for me.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To the question on amplification, as I have mentioned I have used synthesis amplifiers which preformed well S-800 in specifics, Bryston with there new SST squared 28b's or 7B's is really unbelievable,And Krell Evolution series really controls the low frequency to a degree I have not heard in other amplifiers. I also have used a Copland tube pre amp and it was brilliant at it's price range.

The below brands you metioned mc, ml, arc I like to but the above is just what I prefer. I really gravitate to the 28b sst's alot they are really state of the art on a budget, at this level. If price is no object the Krell Evolution does get write up's with this saying. (Krell is the Master of Large transistor amplifiers) I tend to agree.

Krell Evo, really?

When i have listende to the Evo 302, controlled bass have absolutely not been one of the things i have noticed. I found it slow, and sluggish. Weird. I have tried it with Proac and Wilson. Also tried 2 KSA models. Same with them.

Anyway. Nice to hear about your experiences.

Will wisit your store if I ever go that area.

I really hope Greg knows what a positive influence he has had on so many people. He has definitely had a profound impact on my life. I love music and his loudspeaker designs have been a part of my life since I was fifteen years old.
    I second that. I was selling JBL and loving their products while in High School working at Burstein Applebee in the former Southwyck Mall in the early 70s and elsewhere through the remaining 70s. What an opportunity for a high school/college student. While there I sold a pair of JBLs to Elton John while he was touring and had a short layover in the area... JBL in the 70s was the product virtually everyone wanted. The gold standard. It was the easiest sale there ever was because of the quality built in. Customers came in wanting to buy them. There wasn't perceived corner cutting. It was quality throughout and customers knew it. Pleasant memories... Fortunately, the JBL quality lives on, it's just difficult to find a dealer that has it..

Greg was obviously a major contributor. If I recall, and this is from a distant memory, I think one of Greg's first design responsibilities was the extension of the 43xx monitors past 4320. This would also extend to L300 and the re-design of L200 into L200B, which was a vast improvement. WTG Greg!

I am in.. Toronto isn't that far... Damn shame though that a person has to go that far and cross country borders to lay eyes and ears on them. Alas, it is the way, I guess.

Your right the 1970's was JBL's Golden years I think they still have a few more actually. Wow Elton john that's a great story. I hope in the future they recognize there influence on so many people about there speaker sound and quality that the goodies continue to be made in Northridge. I remember When my father was selling the L-200 and the Paragon retailed for 4000.00 dollars CDN. Today it would be the Everest.

Let's see how much was Gas in 1972 compared to Today?

Greg was a big part of all of this and I will always think of him for all his amazing work.

Hi fi choice will be coming out with a review in the April 2010 issue on the Everest DD66000 I am wondering if anyone has seen a review of the K2-9900's in any kind of audio/HiFi magazines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Krell Evo, really?

When i have listende to the Evo 302, controlled bass have absolutely not been one of the things i have noticed. I found it slow, and sluggish. Weird. I have tried it with Proac and Wilson. Also tried 2 KSA models. Same with them.
    I'm afraid something else must be at work in your auditions. I have owned several Krell power amps (I am currently using a KSA 300s for bass in a bi-amped setup) and can vouch for their incredible bass impact and control. Reviews and conversations with others confirm that very few amps can match the large Krells in the bass area.

Thread Information