Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K2-9800se vs K2-9900

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    In fact I much prefer the much less expensive 1400 Array to the 9800.

This might be the very first time i have to strongly disagree with Widget. I have listened quite a lot to both the 1400's and the S9800, and to me the S9800 is far superior. The Al driver in the 1400 just don't sound as clean and realistic as the Be in the K2's. I also think the 1500Al has a more articulate sound than the Le14's

However, both are mindbendingly good. Considering the "low" pricetag of the Array, i would agree that they are more value for the money you pay.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I don't think he ever liked the 9800 horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

I know he prefers the TAD's

Personally i love mye H9800 clones

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    This might be the very first time i have to strongly disagree with Widget. I have listened quite a lot to both the 1400's and the S9800, and to me the S9800 is far superior. The Al driver in the 1400 just don't sound as clean and realistic as the Be in the K2's. I also think the 1500Al has a more articulate sound than the Le14's.
    There could be other factors at play. I have not had the opportunity to directly compare the K2-S9800 and the 1400 Array.

I agree that I would prefer the 1400 Array with Be. I also agree that the 1500AL woofer is a marvel and is more articulate than the LE14H-(whichever it is)... but when I have heard the 1400 Arrays, I have been very pleased and when I have heard the 9800 I have not.

Widget

The K2 S9800 was never quite everything I hoped it would be. If this statement makes sense: I wanted to like it more than I liked it. But when I have to try to like something, then I almost never feel easy about it.

Because it was the highest JBL the first few times I heard it, it made me decide I still was not ready for a super high-end horn system. While I certainly enjoy my S/2600 pair, I do not consider them super high-end, and their character is quite different from most horns anyway.

It was not until I heard the Project Arrays that I thought I might reconsider horns one more time, and upon hearing the SAM1HF and SAM2LF together (with a sub of course), I knew I liked it more than I thought I could and that it would be an easy fit for me and an actual improvement over what I had. I liked it better than the K2 S9800.

Since then, I have heard both Everest II and K2 S9900, and they are much easier to like than the the S9800. Of course, I cannot buy them having just purchased the Synthesis One Array, but one day I will have to choose if I will get the K2 S9900 or the Revel Ultima@ Salon. I don't think the Everest II will ever come my way, though I will keep the chance open.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It's a nice horn. I don't really see how one can go wrong with any of the K2 or E2 horns. The H4338 (vertical orientation, not horizontal as in the 4338 Studio Monitor) and the 1400 Array/SAM1HF horns image better than the K2 or E2 horns if imaging is your primary requirement. Of all the horns I'd have to pick the 1400 Array/SAM1HF as the most user friendly. I never really cared for the visual impact of the K2-S5800/SK2-1000/S4800 horn. The S4600/4429 horn is pretty nice but, as far as I know, it won't accept the Be drivers. I'm going to try the H9800 horn vertical just for grins at some point. G.T. suggested I try the 1500AL in a small box and I'll do that too. Something like 2.5 cu ft net tuned to 35 Hz.

1400 Array/SAM1HF horns image better than the K2 or E2 horns if imaging is your primary requirement.
    They certainly do image well! Depending on the material it can take you by surprise the amount of depth and space they can project.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I don't think the Everest II will ever come my way, though I will keep the chance open.

The lottery is always an option.

but one day I will have to choose if I will get the K2 S9900 or the Revel Ultima@ Salon.
    if today was that day, through some miracle, which would you choose, honestly?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    For my house in the rooms I now have, Revel Ultima2 Salon.

Remember my old descriptor? "Inverted Dome Metalhead." That pretty much tells the tale.
    Out.

With all these reviews of JBL going on lately it would just seal the deal if we could get a review on the K2-9900's.

I think it would be three for three,what do you guys think?

Stereophile April 2010 issue/
    Array 1400's "will be highly recommended in there mag"

HiFi choice April 2010 Issue/
    Everest DD66000 "Editors choice in the mag".

??????????????????????????? mag.
    Jbl K2-9900's coming soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    This is why I have Everest DD-6600 k2-9900 and k2-9800 and all Array products in my store.
    Ronaltronics..

Nice
    I am a happy ovner af K2S9800, and want to upgrade.
    Can you tell me the sonic difference in DD66000 and S9900.?
    Is the DD66000 worth the ekstra money.??

Since then, I have heard both Everest II and K2 S9900, and they are much easier to like than the the S9800. Of course, I cannot buy them having just purchased the Synthesis One Array, but one day I will have to choose if I will get the K2 S9900 or the Revel Ultima2 Salon. I don't think the Everest II will ever come my way, though I will keep the chance open.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    For my house in the rooms I now have, Revel Ultima2 Salon.

Remember my old descriptor? "Inverted Dome Metalhead." That pretty much tells the tale.
    And of course I was right that I'd have to make the choice. I was just wrong about which I'd choose.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post294884

Looks like I need to try one of those Krell amps.
    Out.

And of course I was right that I'd have to make the choice. I was just wrong about which I'd choose.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post294884

Looks like I need to try one of those Krell amps.
    I noticed Widget had a few Halo amps and/or processors in his van, I'd think about trying those. I know the Krell are considered much more high end, but the Halo series are fine electronics. I've got the Halo P7 7-channel analogue pre-amp.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information