Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Geez, who the hell needs TAD

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It's a neo 2446 which means it lost a whole lot of weight (20 lbs.) If you have it, use it?
    Oh, I'm using them. I was just wondering why relatively few others seem to be. If not the snout, them maybe the cost might be it. I don't know, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but they are what I have.

The almost finished product:

Here they are, as they appeared at AKFest 2010. They sounded great and I think they looked pretty nice too. They aren't quite done yet.. feet yet to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Interesting you make this comment. Brush Wellman is touting as a selling point that their diaphragms are more durable than Titanium or Vapor Deposition Beryllium because of their process.. Sounds like you can get the best of both worlds? I won't ever put my drivers to test in HiFi use, but for SR..

That makes complete sense to me. I tried (on 350Hz Edgar horns) swapping Radian 1245-8 diaphragms with 2441 and 2445 motors and could not perceive a difference. The 2445 with the Aluminum Radian diaphragms sounded smoother than with their stock Ti diaphragms, but they lost HF extension. It was the results of that test that led me to buying Truextent diaphragms. I figured that the body was improvable by simply changing diaphragms and Beryllium should give good HF extension and smooth, musical sound.

I like it..

In my 2445 core (5 slit metal core) I have tried NOS D16R2445 (original Ti diaph), NOS D16R2441 (aluminium), Non-JBL Be diaphs, and some aftermarket stuff (ribbed Ti). The non-JBL Be had indeed extremely smooth sound (great on classical music, opera, violin etc) and more HF extension in the area 8-12kHz but then dropped dramatically in a way which I did not manage to compensate with a passive crossover using HF boost circuitry. Aftermarket ribbed Ti diaphs gave a similar sound (no joke). 2441 Al diaphs were very smooth indeed, but lacked UHF extension and impact in the 2445 core with my horns.

For the time being, I've decided to stay with the NOS 2445 Ti diaphs due to their UHF extension capabilities with the UHF boost circuit, general sound impact and resolution etc. , and tried to get the best and most out of them with appropriate horn and equalising. I'm still working on it: Russian NOS capacitors in the mid and the HF/UHF crossover paths give a harmonically rich and milder yet very resolved sound (I discovered that the 2445 shows the limits of classical MKP caps) , adjusting cap/coil values and boost level carefully, adding a serial 30 ohm cap etc. have helped a lot smoothing reasonably the 2445 diaph, without loosing attack and the "bite" of this diaph which is so extraordinary on pop rock, jazz and good recordings generally etc.

2445 Ti diaphs do not forgive bad recordings, any saturation in the mikes and recording preamps etc...This is noticeable on good recordings made for instance in natural ambiance with mikes run at high power supply levels with tube preamps. The Ti diaphs can be a pain in the neck but also a fantastic magnifying glass of recording defects... In contrast, the Be and aftermarket ribbed Ti diaphs allow you to forget about the system on most recordings and classical music but still...Tweeter is needed and something is missing in terms of impact to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Here they are, as they appeared at AKFest 2010. They sounded great and I think they looked pretty nice too. They aren't quite done yet.. feet yet to come.

These are very nice horns/waveguides and in my experience up to now, an excellent geometry for home-FI use on a 2" driver. I had, similarly, a pair of 2" entry JBL-inspired "butt-cheeks" horn custom-made by someone, which give so far the best compromise in terms of openness, presence, equalising possibilities, UHF extension etc. . At least in comparison for instance with JBL 2350 which is definitely a long throw PA horn (but I intend to test these with extra vertical lips some day as recommended by JBL), 2382a which is a great design but has too broad coverage in my home and gives a lesser sensation of immediacy to the sound etc.

2445 -2450 & non-Ribbed Ti Diaphragm

Quote Originally Posted by Elac310 View Post
    In my 2445 core (5 slit metal core) I have tried NOS D16R2445 (original Ti diaph), NOS D16R2441 (aluminium), Non-JBL Be diaphs, and some aftermarket stuff (ribbed Ti). The non-JBL Be had indeed extremely smooth sound (great on classical music, opera, violin etc) and more HF extension in the area 8-12kHz but then dropped dramatically in a way which I did not manage to compensate with a passive crossover using HF boost circuitry. Aftermarket ribbed Ti diaphs gave a similar sound (no joke). 2441 Al diaphs were very smooth indeed, but lacked UHF extension and impact in the 2445 core with my horns.

For the time being, I've decided to stay with the NOS 2445 Ti diaphs due to their UHF extension capabilities with the UHF boost circuit, general sound impact and resolution etc. , and tried to get the best and most out of them with appropriate horn and equalising. I'm still working on it: Russian NOS capacitors in the mid and the HF/UHF crossover paths give a harmonically rich and milder yet very resolved sound (I discovered that the 2445 shows the limits of classical MKP caps) , adjusting cap/coil values and boost level carefully, adding a serial 30 ohm cap etc. have helped a lot smoothing reasonably the 2445 diaph, without loosing attack and the "bite" of this diaph which is so extraordinary on pop rock, jazz and good recordings generally etc.

2445 Ti diaphs do not forgive bad recordings, any saturation in the mikes and recording preamps etc...This is noticeable on good recordings made for instance in natural ambiance with mikes run at high power supply levels with tube preamps. The Ti diaphs can be a pain in the neck but also a fantastic magnifying glass of recording defects... In contrast, the Be and aftermarket ribbed Ti diaphs allow you to forget about the system on most recordings and classical music but still...Tweeter is needed and something is missing in terms of impact to my taste.
    Hi Elac310,

I have got almost the same conclusion with the measurements
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post353522

Regards
    ivica

woofer

hello,

i have also the 2445 be, but now searching for a good woofer.
    Can anyone give advise.
    For now i have choose the Beyma 18P80nd
    Has someone experience with 2235ef from DB design?

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by djnagle View Post

... 2 sets of Yuichi horns... My favorite combo was Rick's Yuichi horns with Dan's JBL 2445 drivers...
    Ha! I just came across this photo linked in the Chilean Audio forum.

I made the pair of Yuichi's with the Burgundy mouth stripe. Are those Ricks? I sold them on Ebay years ago as a part of some house cleaning.

They are solid MDF blocks, shaped per Yuichi's drawings and veneered with Braewood reconstituted Macassar ebony veneers.

That is an exceptionally well designed radial horn.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Thread Information