Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my setup with JBL 1400 Array, I need

I've just been listening to Tom Waits 'Franks wild years' over my 1400 clones and must say I was blown away-a bit eccentric but an audio/musical feast.
    Cooky

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    to find some new music. Great recorded music. Anything but classical-I am not there yet. SACD most welcome. Name your favorites. I REALLY only want the better recordings out there to show off the capibilities of the system which includes:
    McIntosh MC 402 amp
    McIntosh C46 pre
    Marantz SA-8001 cdp Might be upgrading that in a bit

Thanks in advance.
    I have a quite catholic taste in music and listen to almost every genre. When it comes to great recordings, classical definitely offers the most choice (and the Array 1400's are really quite good at delivering everything from the subtleties of a string quartet to the the grandeur of a full scale orchestra), but if that's not your cup of tea then and you like Jazz, then I've found all the recordings on the japanese "Three Blind Mice" label to be outstanding. They are now available on SACD hybrids. The Masaru Imada Quartet are outstanding and if you can find it " One for Duke" is a great album..

http://www.eastwindimport.com/defaul...ree+Blind+Mice

Just another to add. I am a big Rush fan. You either like them or don't but even if you don't give Feedback a try. A remake of their fave artists.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    I am a big Rush fan.
    I really, really dislike them... but if that singing chipmunk sound is what floats your boat, then I guess it is a wonderful thing that they came along.

...but even if you don't give Feedback a try. A remake of their fave artists.
    I love most of the original songs they covered, but sorry man, I couldn't take more than a few seconds of the Rush covers.

Widget

Thumbs up

I REALLY only want the better recordings out there to show off the capibilities of the system which includes:
    try "moritz von oswald trio" with "vertical ascent"
    its electronic experimental dub with live percussion. lots of subbass-groove, lots of dynamic percussion =perfect fo a horn system.
    its dark, heavy, and its definitly not easy listening.
    PYT on Thriller is a song that I have found on my system to just keep going until you run out of power.
    same here! great track to really crank up!
    if you like to listen to dance and electronic music, theres a lot of super-clean and super-dynamic stuff out.
    minimal+house for example "milton jackson: crash", it really flies! you can kill any system with it, though.

on the opposite, i like the sound of the "real" instruments with minimal studiomagic.
    big band-- "the art ensemble of chicago: full force"
    tight band-- "wayne shorter quartet: beyond the sound barrier"

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Demon

Those look pretty good. Yea I do listen to some electronic music when I find some good stuff.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thanks to all. I have a few of the ones mentioned. I will try to seek out each one of the ones mentioned. Hell, I only have about 500 cd's and only about 25 sacd's. Music matters to me, therefore, I shall seek & buy.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    find some new music. Great recorded music. Anything but classical-I am not there yet.
    Its too bad that you are excluding this huge body of music...I cant listen continuously to classical, but there is so much great material to enjoy in spurts...maybe start with something like Gershwin -Rhapsody in Blue- and develop from there...I'm generally a classic rock (LZep/Stones/Animals/CCR/Steely Dan/TYA) guy , but there are just so many times that you can hear it repeated before you start peeking into other genres.

I am a big Rush fan. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I really, really dislike them...
    Widget
    Sounds like W is a MUCH bigger Rush fan than I ...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ...but there are just so many times that you can hear it repeated before you start peeking into other genres.
    Well put!

Not to mention our tastes do change a bit over time. In college I had several roommates who were really into Jazz... I could get into a bit of Stanley Clark, Return to Forever and the rest of that fusion bit of the day, but I really couldn't get my head around real Jazz... today, I am far from being a Jazz fan and all that goes with that, but I really appreciate so much of it and probably a fourth of all new music I buy is Jazz.

Most of my classical is on vinyl. Which reminds me, I need to dust off a couple of my turntables and sell them so that I can get that new VPI. Anyone want an Oracle Delphi?

Widget

[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;282871]Well put!

Not to mention our tastes do change a bit over time. In college I had several roommates who were really into Jazz... I could get into a bit of Stanley Clark, Return to Forever and the rest of that fusion bit of the day, but I really couldn't get my head around real Jazz... today, I am far from being a Jazz fan and all that goes with that, but I really appreciate so much of it and probably a fourth of all new music I buy is Jazz.

Most of my classical is on vinyl. Which reminds me, I need to dust off a couple of my turntables and sell them so that I can get that new VPI. Anyone want an Oracle Delphi?

If you still listen to jazz, let me recommend the following on your great 1400:

-Isao Suzuki, "Blue City", "Blow Up"
    -Bill Evans, "Waltz for Debby"
    -Sonny Rollins, "Saxphone Collosus"
    -Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue"
    -Gerry Mulligan, "What's There to Say"
    -Art Blakey, "A Night at Birdland" I & II
    - Sadao Watanabe, "Parker's Mood"

Hey. Lot's of good stuff there. Instead of waiting, I'll jump in. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is the best thing you'll ever hear in jazz. Getz au go go is as good an album of tenor sax as you could ever hope to hear. you need one Sandy Nelson piece. Some Oscar Peterson, so on. go for it.[QUOTE=pyonc;293610]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Well put!

If you still listen to jazz, let me recommend the following on your great 1400:

-Isao Suzuki, "Blue City", "Blow Up"
    -Bill Evans, "Waltz for Debby"
    -Sonny Rollins, "Saxphone Collosus"
    -Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue"
    -Gerry Mulligan, "What's There to Say"
    -Art Blakey, "A Night at Birdland" I & II
    - Sadao Watanabe, "Parker's Mood"

Awesome. Thanks to all.

Buena Vista Social Club - one of the best recorded CD's I've ever listened too - you can really feel the room acoustics
    Eva Cassidy - Songbird - seems like it's very close-miked, she has a fantastic voice - such a shame to die that young.

there are just so many times that you can hear it repeated before you start peeking into other genres.

I couldn't agree more. I was fortunate enough to hear a local group a couple of weeks ago that left me wanting more. They are called the Ty Curtis Band from Salem, Oregon.
    Here is a fist full of favorites:

Ty Curtis Band~ Cross That Line
    Boz Skaggs ~ Anthology (1969-1997)
    Andreas Vollenweider ~ White Winds
    Seal ~ Best (191-2004)
    Steve Tyrell ~ A New Standard
    Dire Straits ~ Brothers In Arms

Thread Information