Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just fired up my 4343s!

Tom Loizeaux

Just fired up my 4343s!

After 4 months of cabinet restoration, getting the 2121s re-foamed and one 2231 re-conned, and putting in bypass caps in the crossovers, I finally had everything ready today and put the componants back in to the cabinets. I was anxious to get these together but I wasn't going to cut any corners at this point. I carefully followed the wiring diagram I made when I took these apart and flipped the wires at the drivers to get these in modern polarity.
    I finally plugged these in to my bi-amp Crown system and put on my favorite CD. Something wasn't quite right! The 10s didn't seem to be putting out much and the speakers sounded raspy. Then it dawned on me...I had left the active crossover at 800Hz. I switch it to 300Hz and put the CD back on. Oh My! These speakers deliver the music with a very smooth presentation. Vocals, especially, are clear and natural while being bathed with low end that vibrates your insides, upper mids that are snappy and ultra highs that make cymbals and bells sound metalic. I wan't sure how much better, or even different, than my other 3 way JBL studio monitors these 4343s would prove to be. I couldn't be happier!
    I can't imagine how the K2 S9800, or any other speakers for that matter, could surpass these 4343s!
    Now I will work on finding nameplates for these and want to try my JBL 5235 crossover with the cards made for these monitors... just to hear what JBL "intended".
    I may have to sell my 4320s and 4333s as they will get little use in my studio after today.
    (photos to come)
    P.S. Thanks to RobertG and all who helped.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 06-07-2003 at 06:41 PM.

Yea, man! We all know that feeling!!

Although I admit to a LARGE sinking feeling as I read your post - until you got to the bit about switching the active crossover! I HATE that! LOL!

Somehow, I feel like the Forum just had a baby!! Ha!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Congratulations

Congratulations Tom!

I'm still waiting for the two K140's that will be reconed to 2235H and then I will hear the sound you heard. I can't wait to check the sound of my 4343.
    Anyway enjoy yours!

If you get any help with the nameplates please let me know. I search the plates from the level adjustment too.

Guido

Monte

Smile

Fantastic! That's a real inspiration, Tom. I was just HOPING you would be so delighted with the sound.

Monte

Hi Tom!

If you're mad about 4343's,what you think about these ones?(I garanty they're built with 4343's loudspeakers system)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    After 4 months of cabinet restoration, getting the 2121s re-foamed and one 2231 re-conned, and putting in bypass caps in the crossovers
    Tom
    I realize I'M buy my pair in over 4 years and month after month I check one aspects of this speaker...

Well is my turn for cross over modification... if you have a tip or personnal receipt for capacitor, resistance, or inductor coil let me know.

Jean.

Steve Gonzales

Very Nice

Tom,

I have never thought to say, that for good long while , before I even realized that the LHS had a discussion forum like this, I used to browse endlessly at the archive information and was really impressed with the your restorations that are there in the profiles. Your story of how you found the abused and neglected studio monitors and took the time to restore them back to their proper working and cosmetic condition just flipped the switch. I found this to be profoundly inspirational. I'm sorry that I haven't told you this long ago. If you remember a call from me about some 4341's I was trying to sell for an ex-JBL employee, that was me. As you might have noticed, I've taken your wonderful attitude towards restoring JBL's to heart and done what I could to follow your lead. You are my MAIN inspiration in regards to my projects. You showed me that a lot of care, patience and determination can go a long way. I admire you greatly. Your 4343's, I can tell, give you that satisfaction and contentment, that makes all the difference when enjoying music. Is it nice to be there or what? Most people think I'm crazy when I tell them that I'm content with the way my system delivers "the goods" to my personal satisfaction. I hope this belated message puts a smile on your face because it is true. so, having said that, congratulations on another project well done. Best Regards, Steve Gonzales

BTW,I am looking forward to some photos of the 4343's

Love them 4343's!

Congrats Tom,

Although I've never had the pleasure of hearing a pair of 4343's, I've always dreamed of having a pair. That's one of those JBL's (and there are quite a few) that you just KNOW that they'd be a great speaker just by looking at them. That's how it was when I bought my L220's 23 years ago, I bought them without ever having heard them, I was that confident. And of course, I was not disappointed...I still have them and still love them.

Congrats again, and hope you enjoy them for years (I'm sure you will!)

Best regards,

Peter

Tom

Hi Tom, congrats on finishing your project. We are looking forward to the pics of course. I suspect they look in showroom condition.

Ken

Tom Loizeaux

"Just fired up..."

Thanks for the kind words about my 4343 restoration, ...but I posted that 2 years ago!
    I'm glad my account may have influenced others to take the plunge and restore some neglected JBL monitor speakers. I found the restoration satisfying and enlightening and the result very rewarding. For very reasonable money invested I have the pleasure of a collection of vintage JBL studio monitors that I thoroughly enjoy.
    I do still have some "before and after" photos, mostly of my first 4320 restoration project, but I don't know how to use a photo server. If someone wants to help with this, I will try to post a few images.
    To me, there's something enriching about restoring something that was a classic - when compared to simply going out and spending money for a new product. There is a magic to be discovered with these classic designs and a real pleasure in seeing the quality built into these great JBL's studio monitors.

Tom

Steve Gonzales

I didn't notice that

I just assumed that it was a new pair!. What I said is no less true though and I'm glad I finally took the time to tell you. Very inspiring. My thoughts about the restore/buy new question is definately in line with your way of thinking. Rewarding.

Love those classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    To me, there's something enriching about restoring something that was a classic - when compared to simply going out and spending money for a new product. There is a magic to be discovered with these classic designs and a real pleasure in seeing the quality built into these great JBL's studio monitors.

Tom
    I agree 100 percent...my 4313B's were a rescue mission with driver and cabinet issues...now they are practically mint, and I enjoyed every minute of restoring them. Now if I could just find one more 066 tweeter the restoration would be complete! (strictly a cosmetic issue, the dome is missing some of the silver coating). Congrats again on your 4343's...as I said I've always drooled over that model!

Best regards,

Peter

Tom.......got to have some pics!

pangea
    I know this is abit OT, but has anyone had the chance to listen a pair of 4343, 4344 and 4345, at the same time and if so, what sonic differences are there would yu say, if any? They all look as if they were siblings.

My own active MTM hybrids, with 2215H, 2123H, 2441J with Selenium horn and 075, have now been playing beautifully for a while, though they are not quite finished. There's still some tweaking left and they still miss the fake-leather on the baffles as well as the frames with cloth, but it will be any day now.
    Back to my second question if I may, do you think those hybrids, could ever have the potential of playing in the same league as those monitors?

PS: It always makes me sad when people abuse their JBL's, so it makes me all the happier to hear, there are people out there who are willing to restore them. DS.

BR
    Roland

I've built the 4343 and the 4345 and heard the 4344 (Jarrods) but never side by side.

The 4343 is a classic and has an unmistakable stamp on the classic JBL sound..nothing wrong with that.

The 4344 used improved/later developed drivers and an offset baffle driver configuration and refined crossover network. All that adds up to improved imaging, smoother character and more power handling under certain conditions.

The 4345 was an eighteen inch woofer version of the 4344 using the 2245H woofer (which was the ultimate at the time). This provided slightly improved sensitivity and greater low frequency output, perhaps the only flaw in the 4343/4344 in my practical experience in the professional arena. To the ear the 4345 voicing is otherwise identifcal to the 4344 but can convey a greater sense of authority at low frequencies, its also twice as big.

The brochures spell all this out well enough.

Regards your own system try and find a member locally who has the 4343 and get an opinion. The 2215 as I vaguely recall may not have the deep extended bass of the medium efficiency 2231A/2235H/2245 woofers. I can't comment on the driver horn combo or the 075.

No doubt it works , if your ears like the presentation then your on target.

Sit back, play the music and enjoy. The real key to these 4 way brutes is setting them up properly, adjusting the pads correctly and using complementy equipment.

Ian

Thread Information