Thread: Just fired up my 4343s!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tom Loizeaux

Just fired up my 4343s!

After 4 months of cabinet restoration, getting the 2121s re-foamed and one 2231 re-conned, and putting in bypass caps in the crossovers, I finally had everything ready today and put the componants back in to the cabinets. I was anxious to get these together but I wasn't going to cut any corners at this point. I carefully followed the wiring diagram I made when I took these apart and flipped the wires at the drivers to get these in modern polarity.
    I finally plugged these in to my bi-amp Crown system and put on my favorite CD. Something wasn't quite right! The 10s didn't seem to be putting out much and the speakers sounded raspy. Then it dawned on me...I had left the active crossover at 800Hz. I switch it to 300Hz and put the CD back on. Oh My! These speakers deliver the music with a very smooth presentation. Vocals, especially, are clear and natural while being bathed with low end that vibrates your insides, upper mids that are snappy and ultra highs that make cymbals and bells sound metalic. I wan't sure how much better, or even different, than my other 3 way JBL studio monitors these 4343s would prove to be. I couldn't be happier!
    I can't imagine how the K2 S9800, or any other speakers for that matter, could surpass these 4343s!
    Now I will work on finding nameplates for these and want to try my JBL 5235 crossover with the cards made for these monitors... just to hear what JBL "intended".
    I may have to sell my 4320s and 4333s as they will get little use in my studio after today.
    (photos to come)
    P.S. Thanks to RobertG and all who helped.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 06-07-2003 at 06:41 PM.

Thread Information