Thread: My Mini Review of the not so Legendary JBL L56

My Mini Review of the not so Legendary JBL L56

They were JBLs and they were old, so I bought them, but they have some serious problems. The 10"s in my SVA2100s seem to be able to reach up to the tweeter's low end, but not these. These speakers are begging for a lower crossover point or a midrange driver. There is some serious bass coloration as well. The top end sounds pretty sweet. I'm going to keep an eye out for some L46s or the really small ones because I like the design and the build quality of this series. These might be good for my son's dorm room this fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I liked the L-56's , but they can't play real loud. The L-46 is in the same boat. (L-40 too)

Have always enjoyed 2 ways ....my fave of them was the L-26 ...very musical , but again, it has limited
    output potential. (tho it seems higher AFAICR)

recently grabbed some ESS AMT 10-b's , again a 2 way with 10 incher . But it also has a 10 inch rear PR
    and an incredibly fine mf/hf in the Heil Air Motion Transformer. Good sized cabinet that's pretty heavy.
    Nice solid bass with a mid/high that's a revelation. Build quality on par with L series.

Yeah, I know this is the JBL Heritage forum, but if you ever get the chance ...give them a listen.

are those some Walsh 2's that I see in your pic ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I liked the L-56's , but they can't play real loud. The L-46 is in the same boat. (L-40 too)

Have always enjoyed 2 ways ....my fave of them was the L-26 ...very musical , but again, it has limited
    output potential. (tho it seems higher AFAICR)

recently grabbed some ESS AMT 10-b's , again a 2 way with 10 incher . But it also has a 10 inch rear PR
    and an incredibly fine mf/hf in the Heil Air Motion Transformer. Good sized cabinet that's pretty heavy.
    Nice solid bass with a mid/high that's a revelation. Build quality on par with L series.

Yeah, I know this is the JBL Heritage forum, but if you ever get the chance ...give them a listen.

are those some Walsh 2's that I see in your pic ?

Good eye!

"they can't play very loud" is right. I wasn't playing them too loud at all and I bottomed out one of the woofers. No apparent permanent damage, but what good are JBLs if you can't crank them?

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    "they can't play very loud" is right. I wasn't playing them too loud at all and I bottomed out one of the woofers. No apparent permanent damage, but what good are JBLs if you can't crank them?
    my son was using L56's for cheap HT ,,,had same experience as you ....scared him, but drivers were OKAY

Good eye!
    I had Walsh 2XO's , but still have the much larger F's

http://www.ohmspeakers.com/store_ite...ID=72972769550

They were JBLs and they were old, so I bought them, but they have some serious problems. The 10"s in my SVA2100s seem to be able to reach up to the tweeter's low end, but not these. These speakers are begging for a lower crossover point or a midrange driver. There is some serious bass coloration as well. The top end sounds pretty sweet. I'm going to keep an eye out for some L46s or the really small ones because I like the design and the build quality of this series. These might be good for my son's dorm room this fall.
    I predict that the L86 will make you smile, big smile. The L46 can be comfortably run much louder than the L56 due to the lower crossover and more capable woofer, but it's suffers from some of the same issues as the L56 too. Still I'd take the 46 over the 56 any time. But the 86 is pure gold and occasionally found at low prices. In fact you might not pay any more for 86's than 46's.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I predict that the L86 will make you smile, big smile. The L46 can be comfortably run much louder than the L56 due to the lower crossover and more capable woofer, but it's suffers from some of the same issues as the L56 too. Still I'd take the 46 over the 56 any time. But the 86 is pure gold and occasionally found at low prices. In fact you might not pay any more for 86's than 46's.
    agree very much abt L-86 ...regret selling mine ...they were little jewels and sounded much bigger than
    an 8 has any right to.

well I got a pair of L86's sitting here if anyone is interested. PM me. I also have a set of XPL180's in those same Infinity enclosures you goth there.
    I do know what your saying about those L56's, those ten's just can't handle much at all. That bottom just seems to jump in at the wrong time, and it hurts don't it.

Thread Information