Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfshead's Hartsfield

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

Why don't you try holding it steady, or go out and buy a superior digital camera made before 1970?
    I decided to use m my Iphone. I would anytime compare my system with yours. I would bet those two pre 1960's speakers are worth more than your car ! That pre 1970's tuners amps and speakers are more than likely worth more than your house , as a matter of fact I would have less difficulty selling my pre 1970's audio equipment than you selling your house if you live in one !!!

Obsolete

Very nice gear!

I think the general feeling is that these items are a wee bit too interesting to everyone to relegate to Iphone pictures...

That Hartsfield looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Some people are never satisfied,,, Yes you do have a great vintage system and well kept,,Now I remember you,,always a smile on your face..Well dressed,,And a true gentileman...The Last time we met was at Bob Shaws, place,,, That turntable looks great,, another unit i saw was owned by Earl Beaver from McDonnell Douglas,,, He also built a JBL Paragon,,useing my blue prints..His electronics at that time was McIntosh..
    Earl Beaver helped set up my turntable. Yes Beaver used Mc. amps.
    Visited his house several times and listened to his Paragon.
    I purchsed the turntable in Chicago with Lloyd Smith , Beaver and Robert Jackson while there I also purchased a Sony TT , andLloyd bought an Audio Research power amp.

I was at the time interested in selling the Hartsfield's this was about 1975.
    Beaver found a buyer who offered $25,000 for the pair , against my wife's wishes I decided to keep them , he than asked me to name the price.
    Tempted I kept them.

I don't know what happen to Beavers Paragon. He used Mc. Transistor amps. Unexceptable at that time. Mc2100 , and a Mc. c28 pre amp.

Wolf, that Transcriptors H R is a design classic-who in their right mind would stick it in a wooden box? It's like sticking the Venus de Milo in an overcoat!
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CBwQ9QEwAw

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I decided to use m my Iphone. I would anytime compare my system with yours. I would bet those two pre 1960's speakers are worth more than your car ! That pre 1970's tuners amps and speakers are more than likely worth more than your house , as a matter of fact I would have less difficulty selling my pre 1970's audio equipment than you selling your house if you live in one !!!
    Nice speaker. Nice electronics, the turntable is nice, I prefer a straight arm myself.

Wolf, you will never sell your stuff, you couldn't be happy without it, and you'll never replace it with anything you could like, for any amount of money!

Your heirs, they will reap the benefit of whatever finances these bring them!

scottyj

I would anytime compare my system with yours. I would bet those two pre 1960's speakers are worth more than your car !That pre 1970's tuners amps and speakers are more than likely worth more than your house , as a matter of fact I would have less difficulty selling my pre 1970's audio equipment than you selling your house if you live in one !!!
    Wolf, you'd love my house—it's pre-'70s! (Actually, it's pre-'50s!)

Wolf, man, you still don't get it. It's not about the value. I have three pre-'60s BMWs that are probably worth more than your speakers. Who gives a crap? They drive like crap, too, compared to modern cars. Their value is because of their rarity, not how well they function. I'm certain your system is worth more than the car I drive, but then that car (an older BMW) gets me to work, to pick up my daughters in NY during the worst snow storm of the decade, and never costs me a dime to repair and will go 100-mph all day long if I ask it to. My house would be easy to sell. We're in one of the highest demographic areas of the country and my home is one of the cheapest on the road with the best schools. Location, location, location! I have six pre-'70s BMW convertibles so I understand both your fascination with antediluvian, Luddite artifacts and your wishful-fantasy trips to another reality concerning their "value" in cold cash. Any of my convertibles are equally as rare as your system. I understand your pride and your obsessive defense of your quaint antiques.

It just does not make them better at producing sound than modern speakers built with equal pride and dedication using today's technology...any more than my old cars could keep up with the cheapest of current BMW designs today. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them all. And I don't have to stoop to insulting you to make the point.

I can take a good cell-phone photo in the dark if I hold the phone steady enough. If it comes out fuzzy I won't blame the phone. Most folks these days can take fine pictures with a digital camera costing under $200. And you won't hear any pro photographer speaking wistfully and longingly about the early days of digital photography when a 4-MP Canon digital SLR cost more than your Hartsfields and can't match the picture quality of today's 12-MP Canon point-and-shoot.

I love your Hartsfields. I love heritage and tradition. I love old JBLs. That's why I'm on this forum. Why are you here?

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Moving air Baby. Moving Air. Anybody got a match? It's better than that 60s Lysol crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Moving air Baby. Moving Air. Anybody got a match? It's better than that 60s Lysol crap.
    I have a lighter!

Zippo!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Wolf, that Transcriptors H R is a design classic-who in their right mind would stick it in a wooden box? It's like sticking the Venus de Milo in an overcoat!
    Barzlay is a beautiful black walnut cabinet of classic design when closed it adds to the decor of a room. It prevents a living room from looking like an
    audio shop.

Barzlay is a beautiful black walnut cabinet of classic design when closed it adds to the decor of a room. It prevents a living room from looking like an
    audio shop.
    Yeah, it is, but IF you really play any records, it would be best to remove the cover, altogether.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Wolf, you'd love my house—it's pre-'70s! (Actually, it's pre-'50s!)

Wolf, man, you still don't get it. It's not about the value. I have three pre-'60s BMWs that are probably worth more than your speakers. Who gives a crap? They drive like crap, too, compared to modern cars. Their value is because of their rarity, not how well they function. I'm certain your system is worth more than the car I drive, but then that car (an older BMW) gets me to work, to pick up my daughters in NY during the worst snow storm of the decade, and never costs me a dime to repair and will go 100-mph all day long if I ask it to. My house would be easy to sell. We're in one of the highest demographic areas of the country and my home is one of the cheapest on the road with the best schools. Location, location, location! I have six pre-'70s BMW convertibles so I understand both your fascination with antediluvian, Luddite artifacts and your wishful-fantasy trips to another reality concerning their "value" in cold cash. Any of my convertibles are equally as rare as your system. I understand your pride and your obsessive defense of your quaint antiques.

It just does not make them better at producing sound than modern speakers built with equal pride and dedication using today's technology...any more than my old cars could keep up with the cheapest of current BMW designs today. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them all. And I don't have to stoop to insulting you to make the point.

I can take a good cell-phone photo in the dark if I hold the phone steady enough. If it comes out fuzzy I won't blame the phone. Most folks these days can take fine pictures with a digital camera costing under $200. And you won't hear any pro photographer speaking wistfully and longingly about the early days of digital photography when a 4-MP Canon digital SLR cost more than your Hartsfields and can't match the picture quality of today's 12-MP Canon point-and-shoot.

I love your Hartsfields. I love heritage and tradition. I love old JBLs. That's why I'm on this forum. Why are you here?

Off subject what convertable BMW do you own ? This site discusses JBL
    Heritage , The Hartsfield's are the speakers that saved JBL.
    I took the time to send a few photo's as requested and fools like you
    attacked the quality of the photo's.

If you have these valuable cars why drive them , store them and drive your other cars to work.
    By the way I did not take the photo's my daughter did. It appears she wasted her time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Nice speaker. Nice electronics, the turntable is nice, I prefer a straight arm myself.

Wolf, you will never sell your stuff, you couldn't be happy without it, and you'll never replace it with anything you could like, for any amount of money!

My wife would rather not have large speakers in her living room.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Are you aware of the beauty of the Barzalay cabinets ? The table is tucked away and when needed , the lid is open and the table is revealed .
    A mirror is on the lid to better reveal the table.
    An idea in an earlier High Fi Stereo Review decor magazine.

Off subject what convertable BMW do you own ? This site discusses JBL
    Heritage , The Hartsfield's are the speakers that saved JBL.
    I took the time to send a few photo's as requested and fools like you
    attacked the quality of the photo's.

If you have these valuable cars why drive them , store them and drive your other cars to work.
    By the way I did not take the photo's my daughter did. It appears she wasted her time.
    No, your daughter did not waste her time, if you came to speak audio, JBL audio with us and not at us!

Simple as that!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post

As a matter of fact , one of my choices was Bozak Concert Grands , Bozak builds a beautiful speaker in a classic design, which would be
    an asset in any living room. Of course the speakers are excellent.

Would I sell them today , no , I have had them for over 40 years , their like old friends.

Thread Information