Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfshead's Hartsfield

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Is like teeny tiny lobster ...
    bite they little heads off, nibble they tiny feet
    Oh, now I'm in the mood to cook some Gumbo this weekend.
    scottyj

I would like to offer a suggestion and make one small correction:

The suggestion: There is a free app for the iPhone called "Tripod". It doesn't take the picture until the iPhone camera is steady. Cleans up camera shake easily.

The correction: When the coffin back Hartsfield was designed, it wasn't to "make it cheaper"; it was to improve the bottom end response, and not kill the knuckles of the guy (usually me) trying to wrestle a 150-4C into the stupid angled opening on the old Hartsfield. As I recall, it was Bart Locanthi and Bill Burton that came up with the new horn design when we were on Fletcher Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Hey Wolf, how 'bout a picture of YOU standing proudly besides your classic Hartsfield?

I think Google found it (and in focus this time)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

C'mon, even I can tell that's Walt Disney - and besides, he can't be Wolfshead -
    we all know Uncle Walt is cryo-frozen deep in the Epcott center -
    that was the whole reason for DisneyWorld in FLA - to be sure Uncle Walt's frozen body
    is safe through any natural disaster like earthquakes, even if Cali-fornia slides into the sea ...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I think Google found it (and in focus this time)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    I would like to offer a suggestion and make one small correction:

The suggestion: There is a free app for the iPhone called "Tripod". It doesn't take the picture until the iPhone camera is steady. Cleans up camera shake easily.

The correction: When the coffin back Hartsfield was designed, it wasn't to "make it cheaper"; it was to improve the bottom end response, and not kill the knuckles of the guy (usually me) trying to wrestle a 150-4C into the stupid angled opening on the old Hartsfield. As I recall, it was Bart Locanthi and Bill Burton that came up with the new horn design when we were on Fletcher Drive.
    OK, from the man himself.
    scottyj

In 1959, there was a significant redesign of the bass horn in the Hartsfield. The stated purpose was to simplify the horn path to result in a smoother response. However , it was likely that the greater motivation was monetary since the redesign resulted in a simplified construction that significantly reduced the manufacting cost.

Nonetheless , the success and impact of the Hartsfield to JBL cannot be overstated. It was the speaker that gave the company national recognition. It was in large part responsible for the sales increase that would average over 50% a year for the next three years.

I have listened to the old as well as the redesigned Hartsfield , there is slight difference in response and smoothness in the bass region.
    The older one has the edge. The older one is the most sought after.

The older Hartsfield only came in two wood veneers blond and mahogany.
    The same grill cloth was used in both with a slight difference in the shade of the lenses on the horns , the blond one slightly lighter.

Having purchased a blond and mahogany unit I had them both redone
    in walnut , by Hi-Fi Fo Fum in St.Louis who did an excellent job of refinishing. Tweeters were added later , first the 075 than the 175DLH.

As pointed out Hartsfields was designed for mono reproduction not stereo , one in a room takes full advantage of the walls and corner placement, two would need
    a stadium or very large motion picture hall , such as " The Fox Theatre "
    here in St.Louis , one of the old movie palaces.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    In 1959, there was a significant redesign of the bass horn in the Hartsfield. The stated purpose was to simplify the horn path to result in a smoother response. However , it was likely that the greater motivation was monetary since the redesign resulted in a simplified construction that significantly reduced the manufacting cost.

Nonetheless , the success and impact of the Hartsfield to JBL cannot be overstated. It was the speaker that gave the company national recognition. It was in large part responsible for the sales increase that would average over 50% a year for the next three years.

I have listened to the old as well as the redesigned Hartsfield , there is slight difference in response and smoothness in the bass region.
    The older one has the edge. The older one is the most sought after.

The older Hartsfield only came in two wood veneers blond and mahogany.
    The same grill cloth was used in both with a slight difference in the shade of the lenses on the horns , the blond one slightly lighter.

Having purchased a blond and mahogany unit I had them both redone
    in walnut , by Hi-Fi Fo Fum in St.Louis who did an excellent job of refinishing. Tweeters were added later , first the 075 than the 175DLH.

As pointed out Hartsfields was designed for mono reproduction not stereo , one in a room takes full advantage of the walls and corner placement, two would need
    a stadium or very large motion picture hall , such as " The Fox Theatre "
    here in St.Louis , one of the old movie palaces.
    You posted a picture of your Hartsfield, and I cannot see where the tweeter is. You must still use it if you listen to the system, I would think. Especially since you state you listen to CD, the lens horn alone just doesn't go up high enough.

Wolf, your friend Sheltie comes and sticks up for you, and, your going to tell Harvey Gerst, who probably loaded the cabinets you have, WHY JBL did what they did, when he has told you otherwise, and then you wonder why you get the responses you do! Rather than say this is your opinion!

70 something or not, you understand exactly what you say, and you are not the LAST word on the subject, even IF you do own two Hartsfield speakers.

The older cabinets value and demand is also because it is significantly rarer than the later version.
    scottyj

Companies do in fact make change, and update their products, and designs, too.

Have you ever read the disclaimer on the bottom of many spec sheets or packaging? "Products Subject To Change Without Notice".
    scottyj

Just to clarify

Wolfshead said:
    It is you who many times has used the subjective terms " right and wrong " not I.
    Right and wrong can be objective term. The 'right' driver, the 'wrong' driver. Get the idea?

Scott, before you presume too much, I have never been introduced to Wolfshead, though I am looking forward to it in a couple weeks. I'm sure we will be good friends after we meet - common stereo interests and a fascination with vintage JBL speakers, tube gear, and vintage furniture aid the process rather well. Wolfshead also palled around in the same loose group of stereo confederates that one of my mentors did about the stereo shops in town.

At some point, if I make it up to WH's house, I'll stand our seven year old in front of one of his Hartsfields holding a dated St. Louis Post Disgrace paper, so you doubting Thomas folks can pick something else apart of his. Maybe I'll hang his Social Security card, school ID, and birth certificate around his neck so y'all know it's really him.

Before that time, I'll keep busy reading about the fights between the Crown 500 wpc SS fan club and the SET 45 amp crowd, using hi efficiency speakers, over in FightClub.

You posted a picture of your Hartsfield, and I cannot see where the tweeter is. You must still use it if you listen to the system, I would think. Especially since you state you listen to CD, the lens horn alone just doesn't go up high enough.

Wolf, your friend Sheltie comes and sticks up for you, and, your going to tell Harvey Gerst, who probably loaded the cabinets you have, WHY JBL did what they did, when he has told you otherwise, and then you wonder why you get the responses you do! Rather than say this is your opinion!

70 something or not, you understand exactly what you say, and you are not the LAST word on the subject, even IF you do own two Hartsfield speakers.

The older cabinets value and demand is also because it is significantly rarer than the later version.
    I offered my counterpoint ! Was Harvey Gerst a major decision maker at Lansing ? Even than the information I recieved was from George L. Augspurger , in a 1960 reprint from Electronic World.

Counterpoint: A contrasing but parallel element. Counter : Opposing ,one that is counter , an opposite ,a contary.

Again why would you post that what I posed was the last word, my posting was a counterpoint.
    You have no idea how old I am, even if you did know what does that have to do with this issue ?

I have posted many times that I use a 175DLH for the high end. The 175DLH is located on the left side of both speakers behind the grill cloth.
    Why is there a need to see them ? There was not an area designed for a tweeter in the older Hartsfields. As a result the 175DLH'S are both placed on the left side , no space on the right side.

Harvey Gerst is correct it is very difficult to reach the woofers in the older models. Much easier in the later one's.

Quote Originally Posted by lansingfan View Post
    Wolfshead said:Right and wrong can be objective term. The 'right' driver, the 'wrong' driver. Get the idea?
    He used the term to depict morality not right or left ! Morality is subjective !

Are you a moral person?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    He used the term to depict morality not right or left ! Morality is subjective !
    Give me an example of your morality.

Quote Originally Posted by lansingfan View Post
    Give me an example of your morality.
    My morality is none of your business ! Lansing is the subject. Audio !

Companies do in fact make change, and update their products, and designs, too.

Have you ever read the disclaimer on the bottom of many spec sheets or packaging? "Products Subject To Change Without Notice".
    A disclaimer was not necessary 50 years ago ! JBL was a very small company in 1958. The audio componant industry was very small.

The audio componant industry was generally confined to hobbist , audiophiles . The introdution of stereo and the transistor was a great help in expanding the market to the non-hobbist public.

Thread Information