Thread: Recovering Audiophile

ken.pugmire

Recovering Audiophile

I wanted to make a place for all the people like myself who are guilty of lusting after $20,000 speakers, expensive cables and highlighted CD's.

Enough with the expensive status symbols and in with the bad ass speakers we call JBL!

Now I know theres gotta be other people like me out there who are recovering from the marketing lures of B&W and all the other diamond encrusted, platinum coated space ship speakers that toast toast and walk on water.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by ken.pugmire View Post
    I wanted to make a place for all the people like myself who are guilty of lusting after $20,000 speakers, expensive cables and highlighted CD's.

Enough with the expensive status symbols and in with the bad ass speakers we call JBL!

Now I know theres gotta be other people like me out there who are recovering from the marketing lures of B&W and all the other diamond encrusted, platinum coated space ship speakers that toast toast and walk on water.

Kenny
    Well, Peter Shickele used to say his radio show was dedicated to Duke Ellington’s proposition that
    "if it sounds good it IS good!"

I sure agree with that concept!

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well, Peter Shickele used to say his radio show was dedicated to Duke Ellington’s proposition that "if it sounds good it IS good!"

I sure agree with that concept!

Peter Shickele aka PDQ Bach???

I watched Silent Running this weekend....Original soundtrack composed conducted by Peter Schickele, songs sung by Joan Baez.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

ken.pugmire
    P.S. Im ALL FOR HIGH END GEAR, it can be truly fantastic but theres just something about the value that JBL offer(d) that is truly remarkable.

Sometimes I just need a little in your face JBL. Some people like studio monitor sterile and that can be nice sometimes too.

For me is the nostalgia of the vintage equipment. It takes me back. And I truely like the way it sounds. JBL, Altec, Marantz, Crown, Dynaco.... I like all the better stuff of that period. If I had a choice between a vintage system with a couple of Hartfields, or a $30,000+ hi end modern system. I would take the vintage one any day. I can't explain why. I also enjoy the hunt. Nothing like finding a nice piece of vintage equipment at a garage sale.

Dynamics!

When I think JBL, I think dynamics. I hate it when the music sounds constipated. some audiophile speakers pull it off but many do not.

Nothing wrong with new and "audiophile" but the hype and pricing can be outrageous - buyer beware and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman40 View Post
    For me is the nostalgia of the vintage equipment. It takes me back. And I truely like the way it sounds. JBL, Altec, Marantz, Crown, Dynaco.... I like all the better stuff of that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingusboy View Post
    Nothing wrong with new and "audiophile" but the hype and pricing can be outrageous - buyer beware and all that.

I do love a lot of the vintage stuff... some that I have owned for years and some that I coveted years ago and only now can own. However if it comes to pure listening, lights dimmed, eyes closed, music on.... the really good new stuff wins by every measure of sonic performance.

Of course some of the vintage bargains that do pop up from time to time are very hard to beat, but if you can spend a few thousand dollars on a modern system, there are some amazingly good sounding pieces made today. Yes, even including their reproduction of musical dynamics.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

I do love a lot of the vintage stuff... some that I have owned for years and some that I coveted years ago and only now can own. However if it comes to pure listening, lights dimmed, eyes closed, music on.... the really good new stuff wins by every measure of sonic performance.

Of course some of the vintage bargains that do pop up from time to time are very hard to beat, but if you can spend a few thousand dollars on a modern system, there are some amazingly good sounding pieces made today. Yes, even including their reproduction of musical dynamics.

Widget
    Totaly agree with you. I have had the privalge to listen to some pretty high end stuff, and yes it really is superior sounding to the vintage equipment (I don't think it looks as nice though).
    But for me its a lot like cars. A 1963 Dodge Polara with a 426 Max Wedge is out classed by a new vette in every way. Accelleration, Braking, Handling, everything. Over 120 MPH those old Dodges are down right scary to drive. But I would take one over a new vette any day. I feel the same way about vintage audio equipment. I guess that makes me a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman40 View Post
    But for me its a lot like cars.
    Oh no! Not cars again!!!

But I know what you mean, for fun I have a '74 Alfa Spider. It is a real kick to drive, especially on our windy coastal roads, but my new VW Jetta TDi just smokes it in every performance category... and pollutes far less and gets twice the milage.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    I certainly won't argue - I'm using TAD=4001's on Yuichi horns with Tad 1601a's underneath. not exactly new but not quite vintage either.

Thread Information