Thread: speakon NL4FC connection in stereo

speakon NL4FC connection in stereo

Mike/Bo
    Am I right in assuming that a NL4FC connector in stereo mode only needs a positive to 1+ and a negative to 1- on each side (left-right)

And alternately, 2+ and 2-

I'm hooking up a set of control 28's as my Dolby Pro Logic IIz left and right high speakers, and wanted to make sure I'm plumbing the BGW250D correctly into the speaker.

search produced this post, I just wanted to be positive:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...on+connections

Thanks
    Larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

ok
    the darn connectors I have may be needed to be replaced: as I can't get the screws to move,
    http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/092-050a.pdf

this says screwdrivers, but darned if I can see the head of the set screw; even tried 1/16 and a 5/64 allen no joy

if its routed out, I'll need new ones; but shouldnt you be able to see the screw head.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    Mike/Bo
    Am I right in assuming that a NL4FC connector in stereo mode only needs a positive to 1+ and a negative to 1- on each side (left-right)

And alternately, 2+ and 2-
    I'm a little confused - I wouldn't use a NL4 for stereo. For "stereo", you can get by using one NL2 to each side, with 1 +/- being +/- for each side (L/R). Does that make sense?

(NL4's are used for bi-amp applications - convention is 1 +/- for Lo, and 2 +/- for Hi.)

That said, I don't know why the screws are giving you hassles. Neutrik are notoriously immune to corrosion. Once you open the housing, the black pole screws are clearly marked and should be easily loosened.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Wiring

Stéphane

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=11750
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I got a pair of these with control 28's I bough, I'll order the 2 conductor today from oarts express. I agree, these are good for biamping. but as far as I can see, the heads are illegible, I couldn't tell standard> phillips, or allen head. they're posidrive, so I'll just get a new oair and be done with it, at 2.27 each for 2 conductor thye're cheap.

All the NL's I've worked with are secured by phillips - but a small size, so becareful to not strip them, especially if you are cramming heavy gauge wire into the sockets.

As Stephane points out, you certainly can use a "Y" cable for this, with 1 +/- for L and 2 +/- for R. I work in SR and that is why I replied the way I did - a victim of our conventions!

When I run "stereo" (full range), I run separate cables for each side, with 1 +/- for each L/R and label the cables. Likewise, when I run bi-amp (or more), I run 1 +/- for Lo, 2 +/- for Hi, and run separate cables for L/R and label the cables.

Do what is easiest!

I have some some NL4's that use allen head screws. I had to take a small allen wrench and file it down just a touch to make it work. So, not all Neutric speakon are equal.

All of my newer Neutric Speakon NL are now posidrive, and have found that a #1 phillips works well. Also, I tin the end of the bare wires before inserting them into the little wire well. I also back the screws all of the way out and take of that little piece of metal used as a wire clamp. Just tin, insert and tighten gently. Don't reef down on the tinned wire with the screw too much as you may split the socket.

I use these connectors allot! Good Luck!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Thread Information