Thread: Drivers- New or Old

Drivers- New or Old

I am still trying to slowly pull together information to create a great set of speaker. I don't want to just copy a set of plans, I want to design something myself. I was wondering, do the newer jbl speakers like the ones in the cinema sound speakers have the same quality of the older jbl speakers? For example, the drivers in my L-100's are still working great 30+ years later. Would a newer 12" Jbl driver do the same, or should I plan on finding old components to get the quality?

New or old, quality is expensive.

JBL makes new drivers that are crap, and new drivers that are awesome. Crap is everywhere on Ebay for $29 a woofer or so. Awesome is harder to find, and closer to $300 per woofer and up. Are you trying to build another 12" 3way, or something different? Give some out some info and you will probably get some good insight on what to look at or avoid.

If you stay with older or pro drivers, specs are easily available and other DIY projects are on the forum. Lots of people riff off the 43xx monitors of the 70's/early 80's or do 15" 2 or 3 ways with the 2" compression driver horns.

What's your taste and budget?

I haven't really decided a lot of specifics, but right now I am thinking a three way, using a 15" or 18" woofer, a 10 or 12 inch "midrange" and a 2" horn to handle the high frequencies. I might need to consider a 4 way, I don't know yet, and I haven't heard enough speakers to be able to make a good decision at this point. Budget is probably around 1000 to 1500, but is flexible to go where it needs to. I do not want to pinch pennies and get a bunch of crap, but I don't have a lot of extra money to throw at nothing. I can do woodworking so enclosures are not a problem. I like my L-100's (and 4311's and 4312's), but they just don't "fill the room" if that makes any sense, and I can definitely tell there is room for improvement. I thought that if I added more speakers (right now I have them in 7.1 surround sound) that the sound would fill the room better, but it just doesn't the way I thought it would. Now I think I am going to backtrack, sell off some of my speakers and try to get a really good two channel system going, and then if I feel the need to go back to surround sound, I can at that point.

I might get a tomato thrown at me for saying this but you might want to look at different brands today for new drivers. JBL isn't really into the home builder market any more. If you can look past the bias around country of origin you might find that Asian sourced drivers are pretty darn good these days,

I won't name companies because I don't want to condone anyone but I would suggest looking at what Parts Express offers and run simulations on some of the drivers listed.

One company I would look at is Beyma, they are making drivers with similar specs to many JBL classics only these are new and affordable. They may not take as much abuse as a JBL but if you are not using them in a nightclub you may be fine.

Selenium is another brand in business forever that builds Pro sound gear with a good reputation.

I said I wouldn't name companies but what I really meant were the Asian firms. Many have been behind the scenes supplying other companies for years and now sell under their own name.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
    ...I don't know yet, and I haven't heard enough speakers to be able to make a good decision at this point.
    Do it! Listen to more speakers. Borrow speakers and put them in your room and give them a listen.

If you "design" your own speakers without a particular direction, I can't imagine you'll be ultimately happy with them once the, "I built them myself and they work!!!!" euphoria wears off.

All of that aside, do you want LOUD, or do you want a BIG sound? I found L100s to sound like crap in a large room but are fairly acceptable as nearfields in a smallish space. A pair of L200Bs with reworked crossovers and added tweeters might fill the bill and fit your price range, but you need to listen to options and listen to them in your room. I have no problem with other brands, and I would keep my mind open to other options, but don't listen by reading... you need to listen.

Widget

Agree with all

the better JBL drivers have never been cheap, but the good higher-end ones now are very good, as were the good higher-end ones of yesteryear. The L100 woofer 123a is a particular favorite of mine, as it has extremely wide bandwidth without top-end nasties. I'm also extremely fond of the LE8t. That said, there are excellent current production drivers from JBL and others, but they cost too.

How big is your room???

You have not told us this info. The size of the room is help full in giving suggestions.
    There are over 40 years worth of JBL speakers to choose from.
    Beyma speakers are very good I have done side by side comparisons with Beyma and JBL, very hard to tell the difference.

...dont overlook vintage Altec Lansing voice of the theater.

I've acquired several JBL vintage systems and have build several JBL speakers using professional JBL components.

All-in-all, I keep comming back to my favorites - the Altecs...... One other good thing about these is you can get OEM replacement parts and service from Great Plains Audio. ...rebuilding JBL components is expected to become very diffucult and most likely impossible in the future.

The advice to listen first is good but it is not as easy as visiting your local electronic store. Those days are over!

Good luck on your adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    The advice to listen first is good but it is not as easy as visiting your local electronic store. Those days are over!
    They certainly are.

No, today you need to be prepared to offer to bring over a bottle of red or a six pack, and be prepared to take a bit of a road trip. There are a few vendors offering up systems like these, but your best bet it to make friends with members here or other folks who have systems that you think might make you happy.

Widget

Thread Information