Thread: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar

Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar

I just came back from eight days on Kauai, Maui and Lanai. I have honestly fallen in love with the islands, the people, their culture and, of course their music. As a beginner at this, I know this will seem like the beginner's take it is. It will either be "of course, but there is so much more" or "I thought Hawaiian music was all steel guitars and ukuleles." Or perhaps "you have it all wrong."

I'll let you research the history of these no longer obscure styles of music. I will say that it all sounds damn good to me! I purchased three CDs to start me off and they are all quite different. I don't even know if these are representative, but I know they are good.

Keali'i Reichel - Collection Two- KAMALEI must be closer to the pop music end of these styles and the vocals are the star. He has an intoxicating voice, perfectly suited to tell these stories. Vocals in slack key songs are mostly in Hawaiian. Hawaiian has to be one of the most beautiful spoken languages in the world. This CD has more production than I like to hear, but it doesn't hurt anything. While it would be at home on a Las Vegas stage, the music comes through.

Classic Hawaiian Hulas Vol 2 by George Kahumoku, Jr and Daniel Ho. George is a very famous practitioner of slack key guitar and vocals. His voice is straightforward and honest. His playing is earthshaking in its deep, ringing tones and its lyrical, melodic nature. Slack key uses a guitar tuned down to (usually) yield an open chord and is played with thumb bass lines and fingered melody - but it sounds nothing like American steel string open tunings. The effect is much more lilting in overall feel, like Gaelic vs. English. While slack key can be played on any guitar, acoustic or electric, he plays a guitar that is at least dreadnaught sized. Mr. Ho rounds out the sound with spare ukulele, a good idea as you will hear. The whole sounds deceptively simple but must be murder to master.

Speaking of Master, Maui On My Mind by Jeff Peterson is vocal-free picking by a man who reminds me of a more lyrical, lilting version of early Windham Hill guitar artists. Also like Robbie Basho. To go outside the label, think John Fahey or even Leo Kottke. (Not surprisingly, George Winston, who also plays guitar, tirelessly champions slack key with his Dancing Cat label. His history page is very good http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook1-history.php/ and at the bottom is an excellent section listing the great acoustic guitar styles of the World and the most noted practitioners.) At any rate, Jeff Peterson has complete command of the instrument. With the tunings of slack key both hands own the fingerboard if that is what you want to do. Check this out, please - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwTx...eature=related For fun: the second piece, "Kukui Nut Run," is a show stopper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwACjESOeGA&NR=1

Speaking of two hands on the fingerboard, at the art fair in the park with the huge banyon tree in Lahaina, I heard a local master of the Chapman stick holding forth at his sale table. I tell you, spend some time walking around the islands and meeting people at your own risk. You won't want to leave. At an upscale place called the Hula Grill at Whaler's Village in Ka'anapali I heard a group of no reputation called Oversized Production. They were very good and had a dancer help tell the stories on some of the numbers. The pool of talent is very deep on the islands.

I may get tired of Keali'i Reichel, but I am going to dig more deeply. Next stop is an instruction book I bought at Borders on Maui by Keola Beamer, who a local told me is no slouch at this.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I first heard Slack Key guitar through George Winston (I believe he had a TV show/DVD out, featuring Led Kaapaana), and after that I was lucky enough to provide a sound system for one of George's charity performances on guitar. It was an unforgettable day, for a number of reasons, but his playing was wonderful.

Thanks for the info, I'll be checking into the artists you mention.

je

Makana plays slack key sometimes

I need to look out for George Winston live, thanks for the tip. Please don't take my word for who is good, I am too new at this to be a reliable source. But if you like steel string acoustic Jeff Peterson is a sure bet.

I have been listening to Led at this tribute site and he sure plays with more than a touch of greatness. He is so subtle... http://www.myspace.com/ledkaapana

Nosing around the net I have heard a few pieces by a young guitar superstar named Makana. When he plays slack key he reminds me of Michael Hedges, which is not bad.

Check out the video "Watch Makana's Different Game Demo Reel!"
    http://www.myspace.com/makanaworld

He is also wise:

Dreams: Cultures throughout the Earth accept that dreams lack continuity; we sleep, and in our dreams experience realities only acceptable in the context of dreaming. Upon opening our eyes, we close the door of randomness, cancel our relationship with the unexplainable, and press “play” on the parade of precepts we’ve carried with us from our past. Perhaps we may, if inspired, allow ourselves to discover this rumored paradise known as “now” by treating our waking reality as though it is a mere dream occurring whilst we lay peacefully in the dark of night. Or, as a dear friend once said, “May your reality become a dream.” ~Makana

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I need to look out for George Winston live, thanks for the tip. Please don't take my word for who is good, I am too new at this to be a reliable source. But if you like steel string acoustic Jeff Peterson is a sure bet.

I have been listening to Led at this tribute site and he sure plays with more than a touch of greatness. He is so subtle... http://www.myspace.com/ledkaapana

Nosing around the net I have heard a few pieces by a young guitar superstar named Makana. When he plays slack key he reminds me of Michael Hedges, which is not bad.

Check out the video "Watch Makana's Different Game Demo Reel!"
    http://www.myspace.com/makanaworld

He is also wise:

Dreams: Cultures throughout the Earth accept that dreams lack continuity; we sleep, and in our dreams experience realities only acceptable in the context of dreaming. Upon opening our eyes, we close the door of randomness, cancel our relationship with the unexplainable, and press “play” on the parade of precepts we’ve carried with us from our past. Perhaps we may, if inspired, allow ourselves to discover this rumored paradise known as “now” by treating our waking reality as though it is a mere dream occurring whilst we lay peacefully in the dark of night. Or, as a dear friend once said, “May your reality become a dream.” ~Makana
    Here's the few that I have:

http://www.georgewinston.com/recordi...34-11229-3.php

http://www.georgewinston.com/recordi...34-11624-2.php

http://www.georgewinston.com/recordi...22-38016-2.php

je

P.S. your Makana quote reminded me of a favorite Millay poem, actually saying somewhat of the reverse:

Not, to me, less lavish- though my dreams have
    been splendid-
    Than dreams, have been the hours of the actual day:
    Never, awaking, did I awake to say:
    “Nothing could be like that”, when a dream was ended.
    Colours, in dream; ecstasy, in dream extended
    Beyond the edge of sleep- these, in their way,
    Approach, come even close, yet pause, yet stay,
    In the high presence of request by its answer attended.
    Music and painting, poetry, love and grief,
    Had they been more intense, I could not have borne-
    Yet, not, I think, through stout endurance lacked;
    Rather, because the budding and the falling leaf
    Were one, and wonderful- not to be torn
    Apart: I ask of dream: seem like the fact.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Be carefull, Hawaii can become addictive.

My wife and I went there on '05, very nice, we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center tour on the north end of Oahu.
    http://www.polynesia.com/
    Two days of fun dinning and good music and dancing, then on to Pearl Harbor and the rest of the Island.
    We are planing on going back!

I have been exploring the excellent Dancing Cat Records web site and am a bit overwhelmed. http://www.dancingcat.com/index.php

The artists on the label illustrate the point that every talented practitioner of slack key makes it his/her own. To me nobody sounds much like anybody else and all are heartbreakingly brilliant. The different players make me laugh, bring tears to my eyes, drop my jaw as surely as a helicopter ride over Kauai, lull me into bliss, vibrate my consciousness with spiritual resonance...

The well is so deep on the islands that a listener could drown. I am developing some preferences, but they are based on who I am, not who might be better. Listening to this music at this level is personal. All of this reminds me of the Blues so much that I wonder how I have lived so long without happening upon slack key sooner. If I could find a basic difference it would be that slack key is very beautiful sounding and more soothing than the Blues, but capable of exactly the same deep feelings. The one set of feelings you will never find in slack key is anger, vengeance or hate. The Aloha spirit is always present.

An example of that, the end of this brief news coverage of Raymond Kane's passing. His wife explains how he would cry tears of joy when his students played for him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O4qpVZOhDM

I should stop trying to recommend one musician or another and encourage listening to the brief sound samples of the songs on each album. Look closely and you will also find videos. Finish one and click on the lower pane to reveal many more links.

Some links go to dances. I notice that the Hawaiian Hulas are indeed sacred, as was everything in ancient Hawaii. Many slack key songs are Hulas. Look further and find Tahiti dances. A different world, they are more athletic and as sexual as the Hulas are not. Tahitian music reminds me of African poly rhythmic music; Hawaiian music reminds me of the Blues and American acoustic music.

I am becoming too prejudiced to be of any value as a critic. Hawaiian culture resonates so strongly with me that I can't evaluate it objectively any more. Please feel free to explore on your own and find out if it resonates with you as well. You may not like any of it, but what have you got to lose?

I can't resist two recommendations. Don't ignore Cindy Combs because she is the only woman here. She is NOT a token minority presence. Her playing makes me tingle. She is in some ways my favorite, along with Keola Beemer. Beamer is a believer in slow paced, less busy old style playing. He puts together notes more beautifully than any other guitarist I have ever heard. Oh, and Sonny Chillingworth was talented beyond what any human being should ever possess. Sort of the Bill Evans of slack key, if you ask me.

Clark

Edit: This title is a get away sampler, all instrumentals. I have heard an mp3 and it is a fine introduction. http://www.dancingcat.com/recordings/08022-38032-2.php

Cindy Combs

After a good deal of listening, I am finding Cindy Combs to be my favorite of favorites among slack key musicians. I have three of her CDs, two purchased directly from her. She is a very nice lady, by the way.

Her guitar work is really, really good. A nice added touch, she plays a Martin 1934 O-18. Not usually a fan of vocals, I find her voice an unheard of combination of plain spoken honest delivery, Jazz feeling and intoxicating involvement.

She has been doing this for almost forty years and it shows. The fact that she is little known off the Islands is a cultural travesty. She is a musician of enormous accomplishment and her work is very joyful. What more can you ask for?

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    My wife and I went there on '05, very nice, we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center tour on the north end of Oahu.
    http://www.polynesia.com/
    Two days of fun dinning and good music and dancing, then on to Pearl Harbor and the rest of the Island.
    We are planing on going back!
    Whats that old saying ??? Once you've been to Hawaii..you'll always come back ??

we've been 3x on our own (1990's-200x) and 2x with the Navy (1971)...and spent 2 weeks at Barbers Point Naval Air Station with the reserves (1975) ...rented a car and went all over Oahu.

funny, it really hasn't changed much over the 30+ years that I've visited. We were scheduled to return home on 9-11-2001 ..they shut the airport as we were checking out of the Radisson. 3 extra days , and it was real iffy getting home.

one of the best kept secrets is Senator Fongs private botanical reserve on the back of the island...60 acres of unique vegetation.

I didnt know the significance of slack key guitar before following some of this threads links.... ...thx
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information