Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The west coast sound vs the east coast sound.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Let me point out BABA PUNK,, is always in every fight,,its her nature,,She,s been trying to sweep you out with her broom,, But the East coast and west coast sound merge nicely in the mid states..
    I agree west and east seems like too much sound politics.

How about then...!

So I guess it also works for me. I’m in-between the far, far west and the far, far east. None of the above!

The west coast sound vs the east coast sound.

For many years there was a debate which is more accurate and which is more listenable the west coast sound or the east coast sound.

The west coast sound was thought to have more presence, the east coast sound much less presence. Many articles were written supporting one vs the other.
    Most JBL models we've heard seem to exaggerate the upper midrange frequencies " A quote from Consumers Digest 1974. What do you think of that Quote ? The exaggeration of the upper midrange was very popular on the west coast. ie, the west coast sound.
    The problems that audio engineers was facing was the accurate reproduction of sound. Speaker manufactures faced a very difficult task , how to produce a speaker without adding color.
    West coast in general meaning sound with more presence , more focus on the mid range.
    Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
    OK, well, here's a couple of direct questions I've asked you so far in this thread:

1] Didn't JBL move away from that ("West Coast sound") soon after 1974, concentrating instead on accurate reproduction?
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I can't answer your first question because I don't know what accurate reproduction is. Every speaker comapny I am aware of claims to have accurate reproduction.
    Early JBL's claimed to have accurate repoducation.
    Sure, JBLs throughout the company's history have claimed to have accurate reproduction, and some were designed specifically to have the "more presence" and "an exaggeration in the upper midrange" that you described previously. Wouldn't having NO exaggeration in any particular frequency range be a step towards accuracy? It's really a very simple concept...JBL recognized the desire for some folks to have a hyped West Coast sound, and continued production of the L100s (and speakers like it) for many years, but soon after the 1974 review you quoted, JBL started putting out speakers that were evolving to a flatter, more full-frequency response (ie; L110s, 4313s, 4412As, etc.).

je

Present day music is more enclined to sound better using west coast music, especially rock.

The descriptive terms at the crux of the fake issue here (west-coast and east-coast sound) are antediluvian, out of date, behind the times, and passé. Such differences no longer exist. And as for JBL, they only ever did exist in one speaker type; the 4310/L100 range and other related models of that period. Not since those, and not now. Get over it.

Best I can tell we've been pretty much the same country since the Jeffersonian land-grab now referred to as the Louisiana Purchase and the melting pot that is America has ecumenicalized our culture—and our perception of sound—since that day. Change and growth have occurred slowly but inexorably. We're all one big happy family now except, apparently, here on this list!

But, as one who was born and grew-up in St. Louis and moved from there when I was 22-year-old, I have to say it's not unusual for people in St. Louis to live in a time-warp where cultural change is avoided and disregarded, if not denied. And I challenge anyone to prove that statement wrong using the behavior exhibited on this forum over the past week or so as evidence!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

JBL 4645

Two JBL collide
    Rival nations
    It's a primitive clash
    Venting years of frustrations
    Bravely we hope
    Against all hope
    There is so much at stake
    Seems our freedom's up
    Against the ropes
    Does the crowd understand?
    Is it East versus West
    Or JBL against JBL
    Can anyone stand it any-more

Survivor - Burning heart (Rocky IV) HQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL3lJfpenAc

Maron Horonzakz
    BMW,, And your now 23 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    BMW,, And your now 23 ???
    Take it easy Maron, it wasn't at you that the comment was aimed—unless you're really the sock-puppet "Wolfshead", too...

I left Saint Lousy back when JBL was earning their "west-coast" moniker. As we like to say, "some of my best friends" had L100s. I wasn't impressed by them then, either.

But the least I can do is to provide grammatical assistance, even if you won't disclose your St. Louis educational institution. At CDS we learned how to properly form contractions in our first year:

"You are" contracts to "you're".
    You're
    sure to figure it out one of these days if you continue to watch your Ps and Qs. Always happy to be helpful.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The problems that audio engineers was facing was the accurate reproduction of sound. Speaker manufactures faced a very difficult task , how to produce a speaker without adding color.
    All audio devices add someting to the original , audio speakers most of all.

The perfect speaker would be one speaker covering the entire spectrun.
    That speaker does not exist. Engineers than added one more speakers hoping that two speakers would do a better job, but no two speakers were perfect copies. Also there had to be a crossover , again another addition.
    That didn't work out something was still missing so a third speaker was added and an additional crossover the third speaker added color the second crossover produced more problems. We now had two -way and three-way speaker systems. The more speakers added the more problems ,
    adding crossovers only increased the problems.

When we attend a movie or classical concert the question is where one is
    seated. Some prefer the front , some the middle yet others the rear.
    speaker manufactures was forced to design a speaker or speakers that
    would please one but impossible to please all three.

JBL's could produce dynamics using low power , but not perfectly , ie,
    presence or up front when one is seated. Great for rock . this became what is known as the west coast sound.

additional amplifier power was overcome by other speaker manufactures by the use of bi-amp, tri-amp and most important the cheap transistor.
    We already know that horns add color , but so does bass reflex , acoustic
    suspension and a host of other attempts to extend bass or using horns and cones to control the high end.

New technologies has helped but has yet been able to solve the never ending problems of live vs recorded sound. But most important the differences in musical taste and one's reference points when comparing live vs recorded sound.
    If you knew this much why ask the questions and waste everyones time particularly those try to answer your questions.

We might be stupid, but we're not that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If you knew this much why ask the questions and waste everyones time particularly those try to answer your questions.

A forum is an exchange of ideas and opinions , a discussion between forum
    members. Questions are asked , opinions expressed , much is learned.the forum is useful.
    Stupid , I never indicated anyone is stupid , never attacked anyone.

What I was interested in was others opinion and ideas on the topics raised. It appears you are more inerested in discussing me than the topic.

Nobody knows everything we can all learn !

I think "repoducation" is one of the more interesting terms I've ever rolled my eyes over.

Please, everyone, stop this wanton West Coast repoducation!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Take it easy Maron, it wasn't at you that the comment was aimed—unless you're really the sock-puppet "Wolfshead", too...

I left Saint Lousy back when JBL was earning their "west-coast" moniker. As we like to say, "some of my best friends" had L100s. I wasn't impressed by them then, either.

But the least I can do is to provide grammatical assistance, even if you won't disclose your St. Louis educational institution. At CDS we learned how to properly form contractions in our first year:

"You are" contracts to "you're".
    You're sure to figure it out one of these days if you continue to watch your Ps and Qs. Always happy to be helpful.
    I assume you are an english major. If so why not find a forum where the emphasis is english or critical writing.

As for as JBL is concerned , JBL was accused of having a hump in their
    midrange long before there was a L100.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I think "repoducation" is one of the more interesting terms I've ever rolled my eyes over.

Please, everyone, stop this wanton West Coast repoducation!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

The descriptive terms at the crux of the fake issue here (west-coast and east-coast sound) are antediluvian, out of date, behind the times, and passé. Such differences no longer exist. And as for JBL, they only ever did exist in one speaker type; the 4310/L100 range and other related models of that period. Not since those, and not now. Get over it.

Best I can tell we've been pretty much the same country since the Jeffersonian land-grab now referred to as the Louisiana Purchase and the melting pot that is America has ecumenicalized our culture—and our perception of sound—since that day. Change and growth have occurred slowly but inexorably. We're all one big happy family now except, apparently, here on this list!

But, as one who was born and grew-up in St. Louis and moved from there when I was 22-year-old, I have to say it's not unusual for people in St. Louis to live in a time-warp where cultural change is avoided and disregarded, if not denied. And I challenge anyone to prove that statement wrong using the behavior exhibited on this forum over the past week or so as evidence!
    It appears your knowledge of JBL's is very limited especially the early years.
    The earlier JBL pre-1970's also were midrange heavy. The Hartsfields for example when played one must turn down the midrange.

High Fidelity magazines review of a hartsfield in 1958 suggested lowering the midrange controls on the Hartsfield , that was before the 075 was added and before stereo was common , a fact which killed the corner horns.

I will not attempt to defend St.Louis , and it's cultural behaviour , I will
    say that The St.Louis Symphony is one of the great Symphonies in America, Powell Symphony is revered for it's fine accoustics throughout
    American , The Muny Opera one of the first outdoor performing productions is world renown , for sport lovers only the new York Yankees has won more World Series than the St.Louis Cardinals.
    Maybe you should have left St.Louis when you were much younger or
    exposed to more while living there

for sport lovers only the New York Yankees has won more World Series than the St.Louis Cardinals.
    You can see and admit that there are things, good things, outside just the St. Louis area?

This is BIG Wolf!
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

That is what I’ve trying to explain to some kiddie on youtube that’s 29! and he kept insisting that 70mm was not a discrete six-track magnetic stripe that it was 35mm Dolby stereo mixed onto 70mm and that Dolby digital was a discrete format 5.1.

Where do these clowns come from? sigh LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmk6EqtmcRA

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    You can see and admit that there are things, good things, outside just the St. Louis area?

This is BIG Wolf!
    I pointed out in an earlier post that I had attended audio shows in Chicago,
    and had visited an audio show in Los Angeles. Kansas City Missouri another example had one of the most successful JBL audio dealerships in the midwest.

Several of my friends and I were audio hobbist we owned a variety of audio
    speakers , amps etc. We didn't all agree but we had fun.

Times have changed as stated earlier , audio has taken a backseat to video and computers. The audio shows are no more , even the McIntosh
    amp clinics or a thing of the pass.

I posed a very simple topic west coast vs east coast sound. Since audio
    is no longer as popular as it was in the past , I was curious as to what the
    opinions would be on this site regarding an old fun topic.
    I assumed it appears incorrectly that members on this site loved discussing audio past and present.

Certainly there will be difference , my experience in audio dates back to the late 50's. But can't we agree to disagree ? It appears we can't

For that I am sad.

Thread Information