Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The west coast sound vs the east coast sound.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Than ask a specific question. Than if you still don't understand ,than there is nothing I can do.
    OK, well, here's a couple of direct questions I've asked you so far in this thread:

1] Didn't JBL move away from that ("West Coast sound") soon after 1974, concentrating instead on accurate reproduction?

2] What does this (linked post below) have to do with your original topic, East coast/West coast (another topic discussed in many previous threads)?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=280227&postcount=13

je

JBL 4645
    That's a good suggestion and it has been tried. A friend here in St.Louis
    tried just that using a Paragon he had built. He met with mixed results.

I even thought of using mechanical crossovers , attaching three power amps to my Hartsfields. I wrote Lansing and they didn't think it was a good idea. Than I could contol the amps to each driver. In other words tri-amp a Hartsfield. I would have used three MC. 275 power amps.
    or bi-amp using one amp on the woofer and the other amp on the midrange and tweeter.
    Well that is what I have done now for 3 years the fronts control 5 always sounded shrilly with no way of controlling the beast. If I used a little EQ where it didn’t get me or what I was striving to achieve was just cashing my tail around and around.

Now I have control over the LF bass mid and HF tweeter with its own
    crossover in three flavours kinder like that ice-cream 58 flavours?
    Delay
    EQ LF/HF/HP
    Dynamic EQ
    Audio limiter
    Temperature control
    Phase
    Polarity

Go back to passive no way, absolutely not.

That's a good suggestion and it has been tried. A friend here in St.Louis
    tried just that using a Paragon he had built. He met with mixed results.

I even thought of using mechanical crossovers , attaching three power amps to my Hartsfields. I wrote Lansing and they didn't think it was a good idea. Than I could contol the amps to each driver. In other words tri-amp a Hartsfield. I would have used three MC. 275 power amps.
    or bi-amp using one amp on the woofer and the other amp on the midrange and tweeter.
    Many of the members here use active crossovers and multiple amplifiers to get closer to a flat response (or combinations of active & passive). Not sure what "mechanical crossovers" means, though.

je

... there was no mention in your post about anything other than me.
    I certainly would appreciate your input.
    We asked for anecdotes from your long years of audio hoo-ha, but all we get is more pointless pandering and non-descript verbiage.

Just another mispelling web-troll, bored and trying to start fights ...

How can we miss you if you won't go away??
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yet another cheeseball graphic chop up. Really - spend less time in chat rooms and more time with Photoshop and you might have a career some day!

You're in over your head, fishy boy! Best leave this one be!
    For you’re information! I have done an art and graphic design course 20 years ago, thou it was mostly analogue tools like…scalpel, steal ruler, spray mount glue 3M, and lots of chopping-up letters up pasting and photocopying trail and error.

I did like the challenge where we all had this task of doing a dyslexia project it wasn’t for real company. It was designed to see what ideas we can design.

I used acetate paper clear transparent to make a cube with letters on all sides that looked funky. So thanks for the advice. I’m just not good with computers but I catch on fast, just don’t really give a hoot today.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    There IS a difference. West coast has punchier bass, more pronounced mids, and sharper, more energy in the upper frequency.

Some prefer what they consider a more refined and less exaggerated tone, like the AR,s, I like a spunkier sound, like JBL.

There really is no right or wrong.
    Excellent point and I agree.
    AR's sound is more in thespeaker , where Lansingprojects sound , the performers are in the living room with you , with AR's they are in the speaker.

Your correct , an excellent point there is no right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Many of the members here use active crossovers and multiple amplifiers to get closer to a flat response (or combinations of active & passive). Not sure what "mechanical crossovers" means, though.

je
    The use of a separate pre amp to control the output of each
    power amp.

OK, well, here's a couple of direct questions I've asked you so far in this thread:

1] Didn't JBL move away from that ("West Coast sound") soon after 1974, concentrating instead on accurate reproduction?

2] What does this (linked post below) have to do with your original topic, East coast/West coast (another topic discussed in many previous threads)?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=280227&postcount=13

je
    I can't answer your first question because I don't know what accurate reproduction is. Every speaker comapny I am aware of claims to have accurate reproduction.
    Early JBL's claimed to have accurate repoducation.

Really? What are my opinions on the subjects of speakers & the history of JBL?

je
    Post them.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    There IS a difference. West coast has punchier bass, more pronounced mids, and sharper, more energy in the upper frequency.

Some prefer what they consider a more refined and less exaggerated tone, like the AR,s, I like a spunkier sound, like JBL.

There really is no right or wrong.
    Then again!

Maybe those who live on the east coast have different hearing spectrum that those who live on the west coast?

Maybe it’s the water they are drinking on east coast that has an aftertaste effect on the authority nerves?

Maybe we are part of some government international Area-51 experiment? Where they are sending out those microwave energy frequency beams to trick us into liking the west coast sound?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Then again!

Maybe those who live on the east coast have different hearing spectrum that those who live on the west coast?

Maybe it’s the water they are drinking on east coast that has an aftertaste effect on the authority nerves?

Maybe we are part of some government international Area-51 experiment? Where they are sending out those microwave energy frequency beams to trick us into liking the west coast sound?
    I see you are British , I loved the times times I spent in the United Kingdom.
    To discuss your point further , America is a continental country , we are quite different. music not being the exception. But the difference in west coast music and east coast music is as stated earlier the difference in
    midrange, west coast music simply put had a greater presence or more
    midrange. Some people prefer that type of presence in their music others did not , those others perfered less midrange , less presence , east coast
    music , it did not matter where one lived but what type of sound from a speaker one prefered.

Present day music is more enclined to sound better using west coast music, especially rock.

JBL 4645
    I see you are British , I loved the times times I spent in the United Kingdom.
    To discuss your point further , America is a continental country , we are quite different. music not being the exception. But the difference in west coast music and east coast music is as stated earlier the difference in
    midrange, west coast music simply put had a greater presence or more
    midrange. Some people prefer that type of presence in their music others did not , those others preferred less midrange , less presence , east coast
    music , it did not matter where one lived but what type of sound from a speaker one prefered.

Present day music is more enclined to sound better using west coast music, especially rock.
    Just because my location says it does doesn’t mean I do? I might be lying? I’m just kidding.

That is exactly the same measures used in cinema a lot of people are going to have different hearing range and tastes and dislikes.

I don’t seem to mind as long as its not over bright with hardly any low end to support what is on the soundtrack mix.

I’ve actually witnessed four people get up and walk out on Face/Off at the Lee Valley UCI around November 1997 and this was just into reel two. Dolby SR-D print.

It lacked that is the screen itself lacked low end authority. It was just like shove it in the cinema a cheap as possible EQ it and that it.

The cinema was also a 12 screen. I saw the film as quick preview before the projectionist interview stated. No I didn't get the job at the site, might be I lived in Dorset and travelling to London might be an issue or other? Not that I give a hoot.

Yes the screen was medium size.

The last film I saw as kinder of treat since I travelled 120 miles was Alien Resurrection in the one of the two large screens in dts thou the print itself was Dolby SR-D / dts.

All screens where fitted with JBL! They just sounded pants! All-bass-mid with very little punch and just sheer deafening top end. The subs had little impact as well. I was quite literally depressed with the sound system at that site.

I might give “Face/off” and “Alien Resurrection” (1997) a re-listen at same volume setting monitor it soft level and see which one sounds the highest!

Oddly so Face/off was nominated for best sound. So I don’t know why UCI presented it so, Just Bloody Loud! JBL!

Maron Horonzakz
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    We asked for anecdotes from your long years of audio hoo-ha, but all we get is more pointless pandering and non-descript verbiage.

Just another mispelling web-troll, bored and trying to start fights ...

How can we miss you if you won't go away??
    Let me point out BABA PUNK,, is always in every fight,,its her nature,,She,s been trying to sweep you out with her broom,, But the East coast and west coast sound merge nicely in the mid states..

Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
    Not sure what "mechanical crossovers" means, though.

je

The use of a separate pre amp to control the output of each
    power amp.
    But, what does the "mechanical crossovers" part mean?

je

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfshead
    I disagree with most of your opinions on the subject of speakers and your history of JBL. That being said I respect your opinion.

Really? What are my opinions on the subjects of speakers & the history of JBL?

je
    Post them.

You've already said that you disagree with most of my opinions on the subjects, but you don't yet know what they are. And, once again, you've avoided answering a direct question.

je

Thread Information