Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The west coast sound vs the east coast sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    They way they sound? I think the fair and universal way around this is with (pink noise) since it has wide spectrum of frequencies playing and I would personally find it easy myself to memorize.

It was too toppy
    It was too much in the mid range
    It was too boomy heavy on the low end
    It was just right spot on, even equal across the frequency range.

Then it’s going to sound nice, as it can be.
    One of the problems of your suggestion conerning pink noise is that a speaker can test great on a bench and sound terrible to the ear.
    Again it depends on what type of speaker one perfers. That is where the debate centers east coast vs west coast.

I could site several examples of that happening. I am aware of those who
    Years ago when there was more audio publications there was magazines that hated the JBL sound and others that loved it..

I bought my daughter a pair of AR 4ax speakers when she went off to college. Later I found pair of JBL L100's used for an excellent price
    $70.00 for both. As a book shelf speaker I prefered AR , not my daughter
    she loved the JBL L100's. , still has them.
    But than we listen to different music.

Audio equipment is so subjective , especially speakers.

I wonder how much (if any) it may have to do with where the speakers were developed and the arcithecture of the day across this young nation of ours?

I grew up in a 1903 stick frame lath and plaster house with hardwood floors and a basement in Northern Utah, that's not that old of a house if you come from New England where you very may well have a house consructed of stone. When I went to college in Phoenix Arizona my stereo and I moved into a cinder block house on a cement pad, and the sound my stereo changed dramatically. Then I moved to Las Vegas Nevada into a stick frame drywall pad house, sounds different again.

I have read much about the differences in speakers designed for use in Europe as well.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    One of the problems of your suggestion conerning pink noise is that a speaker can test great on a bench and sound terrible to the ear.
    Again it depends on what type of speaker one perfers. That is where the debate centers east coast vs west coast.

Years ago when there was more audio publications there was magazines that hated the JBL sound and others that loved it..

I bought my daughter a pair of AR 4ax speakers when she went off to college. Later I found pair of JBL L100's used for an excellent price

I suffer from “tinnitus” on and off most days and when its cleared up least temporally, I can still hear high pitches at 16.000KHz thou incredibly distant due to slight age and wavelength not bad for 43 years of age, which I just turned last Sunday.

So as long as I don’t punish my hearing not just with home listening any sound outside can be just as harmful, which is why I carry earplugs in my pocket at all-times.

I’m also going to share this. I don’t love JBL I like JBL. JBL to me is an immaterial object nothing more than that, it only gives me musical pleasure or thrilling multi-track movies that make go...wow, I want some more.

Like and dislike yes.

Love and hate. Love is tender word.
    Hate is well what it is and to hate JBL is preposterous.

I dislike Bose yes.
    I like JBL yes.

Basically, Squid - your opinion disagrees with the FACTS of JBL's history.
    Your opinion also disagrees with the vast majority of JBL sales over many years.
    You disagree with many of the folks here who have spoken technical facts - even tho a truth is a truth, engineering-wise.

Take that or leave it, its my opinion that I am entitled to.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

WH's threads remind me of an awkward first date....where you dont know what to talk about , so you just toss out innocuous questions to elicit some response to get the conversation going...so that you can talk about yourself.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

But yet you try to crucify us for what we like, that you do not.

When it comes to your daughter, then audio, speakers and music are subjective. When it comes to us, we just don't know much of what is proper, according to you.

Well, you opened the door!
    scottyj

Question

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Basically, Squid - your opinion disagrees with the FACTS of JBL's history.
    Your opinion also disagrees with the vast majority of JBL sales over many years.
    You disagree with many of the folks here who have spoken technical facts - even tho a truth is a truth, engineering-wise.

Take that or leave it, its my opinion that I am entitled to.
    List your facts, make comparsion analysis. What history , example please.
    Be specific ! What do you mean by Basically, Squid ?

JBL 4645
    I wouldn’t worry about her she’s the wicked witch of the east coast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    WH's threads remind me of an awkward first date....where you dont know what to talk about , so you just toss out innocuous questions to elicit some response to get the conversation going...so that you can talk about yourself.
    I must be successful because there was no mention in your post about anything other than me.
    are you aware of east coast and west coast speakers ? if so let's here it.
    I certainly would appreciate your input.

I must be successful because there was no mention in your post about anything other than me.
    are you aware of east coast and west coast speakers ? if so let's here it.
    I certainly would appreciate your input.
    I never here'd none.

east coast and west coast speakers ? they are all from Ch1na now..
    Prolly Shenzhen ...thats on the east coast..last time I was there.
    about 45 minute train ride from HK.

My i/p ? why bother..you'd just ignore it and I dont really care about yours.

when do we get to HERE about the Bozaks ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL 4645
    Oh, boy. Why not ditch the passive west and east coast crossovers and use active crossovers that will get around the sound politics. Call it none of the above! Just fair and square neat pleasing customized sound.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    But yet you try to crucify us for what we like, that you do not.

When it comes to your daughter, then audio, speakers and music are subjective. When it comes to us, we just don't know much of what is proper, according to you.

Well, you opened the door!
    Offer a counterpoint , give examples , discuss experiences to back up your points.
    List publications , are quotes from books. The topic was west coast vs east coast sound differences. What do you add. Do you agree there is a difference or there is no difference.
    Again I have never said that the members of this forum did not know what was proper. I have offered counterpoints when in disagreement.
    I respect all opinions.

Offer a counterpoint , give examples , discuss experiences to back up your points.
    List publications , are quotes from books. The topic was west coast vs east coast sound differences. What do you add. Do you agree there is a difference or there is no difference.
    Again I have never said that the members of this forum did not know what was proper. I have offered counterpoints when in disagreement.
    I respect all opinions.
    There IS a difference. West coast has punchier bass, more pronounced mids, and sharper, more energy in the upper frequency.

Some prefer what they consider a more refined and less exaggerated tone, like the AR,s, I like a spunkier sound, like JBL.

There really is no right or wrong.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Oh, boy. Why not ditch the passive west and east coast crossovers and use active crossovers that will get around the sound politics. Call it none of the above! Just fair and square neat pleasing customized sound.
    That's a good suggestion and it has been tried. A friend here in St.Louis
    tried just that using a Paragon he had built. He met with mixed results.

I even thought of using mechanical crossovers , attaching three power amps to my Hartsfields. I wrote Lansing and they didn't think it was a good idea. Than I could contol the amps to each driver. In other words tri-amp a Hartsfield. I would have used three MC. 275 power amps.
    or bi-amp using one amp on the woofer and the other amp on the midrange and tweeter.

I disagree with most of your opinions on the subject of speakers and your history of JBL. That being said I respect your opinion.
    Really? What are my opinions on the subjects of speakers & the history of JBL?

je

Thread Information