Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The west coast sound vs the east coast sound.

Maron Horonzakz
    You mention 'where we are seated in a concert hall'...But in reproduction of a concert depends on mic placement,,, Believe me soundstage & image,, has no boundries when the mic,,is placed on a tall boom facing down on bald heads in the orchestra... In europe west coast east coast is not a boundry sound...But aggresivly polite,,,VitaVox vs Tannoy

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    You mention 'where we are seated in a concert hall'...But in reproduction of a concert depends on mic placement,,, Believe me soundstage & image,, has no boundries when the mic,,is placed on a tall boom facing down on bald heads in the orchestra... In europe west coast east coast is not a boundry sound...But aggresivly polite,,,VitaVox vs Tannoy
    All bodies absorb sound as well! To what degree in frequency db. :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    The problems that audio engineers was facing was the accurate reproduction of sound. Speaker manufactures faced a very difficult task , how to produce a speaker without adding color.
    All audio devices add someting to the original , audio speakers most of all.

The perfect speaker would be one speaker covering the entire spectrun.
    That speaker does not exist. Engineers than added one more speakers hoping that two speakers would do a better job, but no two speakers were perfect copies. Also there had to be a crossover , again another addition.
    That didn't work out something was still missing so a third speaker was added and an additional crossover the third speaker added color the second crossover produced more problems. We now had two -way and three-way speaker systems. The more speakers added the more problems ,
    adding crossovers only increased the problems.

When we attend a movie or classical concert the question is where one is
    seated. Some prefer the front , some the middle yet others the rear.
    speaker manufactures was forced to design a speaker or speakers that
    would please one but impossible to please all three.

JBL's could produce dynamics using low power , but not perfectly , ie,
    presence or up front when one is seated. Great for rock . this became what is known as the west coast sound.

additional amplifier power was overcome by other speaker manufactures by the use of bi-amp, tri-amp and most important the cheap transistor.
    We already know that horns add color , but so does bass reflex , acoustic
    suspension and a host of other attempts to extend bass or using horns and cones to control the high end.

New technologies has helped but has yet been able to solve the never ending problems of live vs recorded sound. But most important the differences in musical taste and one's reference points when comparing live vs recorded sound.
    Um, yeah, I know all of that, most everybody here does (except that crossovers + multiple drivers increased some problems, but solved others). It's been discussed here and in many other forums for many years. People even wrote books about it, you can look for them in your library.

What does this have to do with your original topic, East coast/West coast (another topic discussed in many previous threads)? Do you just really like to hear yourself type?

je

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    What does this have to do with your original topic, East coast/West coast (another topic discussed in many previous threads)? Do you just really like to hear yourself type?

je
    Isn’t the best sound from JBL from the west? The west is the best. The east is the least.

What’s next then north and south?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Isn’t the best sound from JBL from the west? The west is the best. The east is the least.
    then I dont know where to locate the 250ti's sound on the map ....they dont have the classic WC JBL sound nor the East/Advent/AR sound either.......Iowa ?

Do you just really like to hear yourself type?
    methinks so
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Um, yeah, I know all of that, most everybody here does (except that crossovers + multiple drivers increased some problems, but solved others). It's been discussed here and in many other forums for many years. People even wrote books about it, you can look for them in your library.

je
    Issues are revisited , many times from different prospectives. That is the purpose of a forum in my opinion. The exchange of different ideas old and new.

Read the entire post , the history of speaker reproduction led to west
    coast vs east coast sound differences.
    You said people wrote books , I agree , many others may not have read the books that you read , but still may have interest.

Why are you so angry ? you can disagree with my post without an attack on me. What have you to add , what is your counterpoint. What is it in the post you disagree with ? Is there anything you agree with. ?

JBL 4645
    Why are you so angry ? you can disagree with my post without an attack on me. What have you to add , what is your counterpoint. What is it in the post you disagree with ? Is there anything you agree with. ?
    LOL Lets see now Fred Sanford 5 years on the site major contributor with 1,456 posts make that 1,457 soon!

Consumers Report didn't like JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I wouldnt quote Dishwasher testers (consumer report) as experts to evaluate audio speakers
    Mainly because of cost, they would rate lower cost speakers higher.
    Then the readers would go out and buy the lower cost speakers which would fall apart in 5~10 years and they would have to go out and but new speakers. Maybe this was part of the plot.
    If they had bought the more expensive JBL speakers they would still be listing to them today, so in the end which speaker really cost more.
    The Dyanco speakers (which got the CU best buy rating) or the JBL L100?
    I stopped reading CU after that report came out.

Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
    He's saying the same thing you are, you just don't seem to understand his phrase "low power compression". He means that many JBL speakers don't reduce the dynamic range of their output when played loudly. Some other speakers would hit their limit & get no louder (or, individual drivers would, throwing off the balance of frequencies), essentially wasting amplifier power and reducing the dynamics of the music they're reproducing.

Didn't JBL move away from that soon after 1974, concentrating instead on accurate reproduction? I don't know that saying "Most JBL models we've heard seem to exaggerate the upper midrange frequencies" has been an accurate statement for quite some time. There have been plenty of discussions on this topic here in the past, do some searches & you'll find lots of posts on the subject.

je
    Originally Posted by Fred Sanford

je
    Issues are revisited , many times from different prospectives. That is the purpose of a forum in my opinion. The exchange of different ideas old and new.

Read the entire post , the history of speaker reproduction led to west
    coast vs east coast sound differences.
    You said people wrote books , I agree , many others may not have read the books that you read , but still may have interest.

I did read your entire post, and don't see where it comes back around to any mention of East/West at all. And, you wrote it in reply to my post about how JBL themselves then purposely moved away from the typical West coast approach decades ago (an on-topic statement), but you didn't address that at all.

Right, there are resources out there, and also here in this forum. Feel free to search the old posts, read them, and comment on them. Starting new threads re-hashing these topics is an option, but not one that the forum guidelines suggest:

To make this place enjoyable and useful to its members, there are a few basic guidelines. First, before you post a question, use the search feature that is accessed from the row of buttons at the top right corner of all pages. Since this forum has been in operation for some time, there is a very good chance that any question you may have has been asked and answered before.
    I'm not angry at all- my posts so far have contained honest questions, and I'm quite curious about the answers. I'm pretty sure that, so far, you have yet to answer any of them directly, you just seem to quote my posts and then go off on the same few tangents again and again. If you notice, right now I'm answering the questions in your post. As far as agreeing with you, I have a very hard time understanding what you write most times, and have asked a bunch of questions to try and understand you, but so far you haven't answered them. That particular post in question pretty much just stated a bunch of well-known facts about multi-driver speaker evolution- still a little confusing in how it was presented, but really nothing much to agree or disagree with.

je

JBL 4645
    So will JBL West sounding speakers sound best with this song then? I couldn’t resist.

Pet Shop Boys - Go West (HD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjM...eature=channel

(Go West with JBL, this is what we're gonna do, Go West with JBL)

So will JBL West sounding speakers sound best with this song then? I couldn’t resist.

Pet Shop Boys - Go West (HD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjM...eature=channel

(Go West with JBL, this is what we're gonna do, Go West with JBL)
    I would have played "WEST END GIRLS" myself.
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I would have played "WEST END GIRLS" myself.
    I’m not trying to crash the thread I just saw between all or most posts the funny side of it.

I mean most of my, JBL control series, I believe are made in the far-east. LOL only the 2240 and 2226 are made in the west I mean west coast. But I’m not grumbling about neither one I’m lucky I have some JBL be it plastic or MDF.

I’m not trying to crash the thread I just saw between all or most posts the funny side of it.

I mean most of my, JBL control series, I believe are made in the far-east. LOL only the 2240 and 2226 are made in the west I mean west coast. But I’m not grumbling about neither one I’m lucky I have some JBL be it plastic or MDF.
    It is not where JBL's are made it is the type of sound produced by JBL.
    West coast in general meaning sound with more presence , more focus on the mid range. East coast sound meaning less focus on the mid range.
    Less presence,

JBL 4645
    It is not where JBL's are made it is the type of sound produced by JBL.
    West coast in general meaning sound with more presence , more focus on the mid range. East coast sound meaning less focus on the mid range.
    Less presence,
    They way they sound? I think the fair and universal way around this is with (pink noise) since it has wide spectrum of frequencies playing and I would personally find it easy myself to memorize.

It was too toppy
    It was too much in the mid range
    It was too boomy heavy on the low end
    It was just right spot on, even equal across the frequency range.

Then it’s going to sound nice, as it can be.

My friend’s sound system B&W DM601 left and right and B&W CC6 for centre is holy mess! The sound is dull lifeless on the centre the tone from left to centre is miles db apart!

Well that’s what you get for mismatching.

I did read your entire post, and don't see where it comes back around to any mention of East/West at all. And, you wrote it in reply to my post about how JBL themselves then purposely moved away from the typical West coast approach decades ago (an on-topic statement), but you didn't address that at all.

Right, there are resources out there, and also here in this forum. Feel free to search the old posts, read them, and comment on them. Starting new threads re-hashing these topics is an option, but not one that the forum guidelines suggest:

I'm not angry at all- my posts so far have contained honest questions, and I'm quite curious about the answers. I'm pretty sure that, so far, you have yet to answer any of them directly, you just seem to quote my posts and then go off on the same few tangents again and again. If you notice, right now I'm answering the questions in your post. As far as agreeing with you, I have a very hard time understanding what you write most times, and have asked a bunch of questions to try and understand you, but so far you haven't answered them. That particular post in question pretty much just stated a bunch of well-known facts about multi-driver speaker evolution- still a little confusing in how it was presented, but really nothing much to agree or disagree with.

je
    Than ask a specific question. Than if you still don't understand ,than there is nothing I can do.
    You may be aware of certain facts , others may not. This forum as I understand it is not about you or me. I am posting my opinion , you have a right to yours.
    I disagree with most of your opinions on the subject of speakers and your history of JBL. That being said I respect your opinion.
    Now let's get back to discussing our different positions on the history of speakers west coast vs east coast.

Thread Information