Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The west coast sound vs the east coast sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I love it- the header shows topic tabs for nothing but digital gear.

je
    Guess they didn't survive the multinational menace!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hmmm, You can look at this thread in two ways imo, one is that Mr W is (reading some of the mangled language and vague reasoning) a little fuzzy headed/daft or two, Mr W is a troll.
    If the former, you are being somewhat unnecessarily cruel, if the latter then don't bloody feed a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Hmmm, You can look at this thread in two ways imo, one is that Mr W is (reading some of the mangled language and vague reasoning) a little fuzzy headed/daft or two, Mr W is a troll.
    If the former, you are being somewhat unnecessarily cruel, if the latter then don't bloody feed a troll.
    Nah, W wants to talk audio! AS HE SAYS IT SHOULD BE!

Makin us get our cans of "Whup Ass" out! American made product, it is, too!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    I've been trying to figure that out, myself.

Most of the trolls I've seen are fuzzy-headed, anyway, aren't they?

I think I've got a workable solution, though :
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I've been trying to figure that out, myself.

Most of the trolls I've seen are fuzzy-headed, anyway, aren't they?

I think I've got a workable solution, though :
    That's one way of dealing with it!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I have read the test reports of the Steinway speaker systems in the Robb Report.
    How did I miss this? Shame on me!

You read in the Robb report.

Yo, Wolf, I read the REAL ESTATE ADS in Robb Report, as well! But I don't recommend to everyone that THEY need to purchase the $28 million mansion listed, or the $120mil private island in The Bahammas. After all, any one who is NOT living in one of these, has NO IDEA of what a TRUE ELEGANT HOME is!

I'm off to visit my friends Thurston Howell III, and Lovey, for a late luncheon!

scottyj

Fred,
    Even inclusive of the technical advice I've been given off this site, your post was the most helpful I've seen in at least the last month! Thanks for motivating me to find and implement the ignore list. To be polite, this site is full of different personalities. Some are always fun to read (Ducatista47 comes to mind), some are sagely, though sometimes painful because they tell you things you don't want to hear ("That won't work"), (4313B comes to mind, maybe Grumpy too), Some are less predictable (I think Heather posts like a cat - usually friendly, but sometimes she bites), and some were just born for the ignore list (I will not name names). I'm going to implement the ignore list, and see if it cuts down on a little frustration.

Now if I can just get my daughter's to join this form, so that I can put them on my ignore list (I'm pretty sure I am already on theirs)...

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Fred,
    Even inclusive of the technical advice I've been given off this site, your post was the most helpful I've seen in at least the last month! Thanks for motivating me to find and implement the ignore list. To be polite, this site is full of different personalities. Some are always fun to read (Ducatista47 comes to mind), some are sagely, though sometimes painful because they tell you things you don't want to hear ("That won't work"), (4313B comes to mind, maybe Grumpy too), Some are less predictable (I think Heather posts like a cat - usually friendly, but sometimes she bites), and some were just born for the ignore list (I will not name names). I'm going to implement the ignore list, and see if it cuts down on a little frustration.
    Let me just say before you ignore me that I deeply regret not having insulted you directly in some way...

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy
    Now if I can just get my daughter's to join this form, so that I can put them on my ignore list (I'm pretty sure I am already on theirs)...
    ...and not having put you on my ignore list first.
    Out.

Hmm.

Is it possible to put oneself on the ignore list?
    Out.

Nope.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Nope.

Over the top, well done Ti.
    scottyj

Sorry TDome, can't see your posts

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Sorry TDome, can't see your posts
    I can't see yours either,
    scottyj

Just kidding, by the way TDome. You've got some speakers that I know you're going to want to sell someday, so I'll try harder to stay on your good side

west coast sound was thought to have more presence, then east coast

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    For many years there was a debate which is more accurate and which is more listenable the west coast sound or the east coast sound.The west coast sound was thought to have more presence, the east coast sound much less presence. ....Again what are the thoughts of this forum on this subject ?

wolfshead;280111, Merci a toi, for the invite on thoughts regarding quote: "which is more listenable, the west coast sound or the east coast sound. The west coast sound was thought to have more presence, the east coast sound much less presence."

Ca Depend sur votre appareil, also whose studio (RCA or Columbia or Mercury, etc,) produced your records. Having been there, I can speak for RCA Records of New York City, Nashville, and West Coast La, Ca; these magnificent modern studios were designed by Dr. Harry Olson & his Brother In Law, RCA Camden's Photophone Engineering Division Manager Mr. John Volkman who provided more than 7,000 RCA Movie Auditorium Clients with complete venue acoustic design drawings at no cost. Monitoring in all RCA studios was voiced requiring the "neutral sounding "Olson LC-1" Duo Cone, full range, Broadcast monitor speaker. All the popular monitors were there to accommodate the recording engineer's experience.

The LC-1 cross over at 1500 Hz used only a single 4 mfd capacitor for the two inch tweeter nested within the 15 inch woofer voice coil; there was no cross over inductor for the LF Cone-- simply the mass of the cone rolling off at 6 db /octave from 1500 Hz providing perfect 1st order coherent phase shift cross over performance. You could say, "Perhaps the best of all worlds."

In the early 1970's, the latest New York City, RCA John Volkman's Modern studios were substantial reworked by JBL's legendary studio designer Mr. George Augsberg who also updated the existing JBL monitors.

These three RCA studios always had every professional monitor, aka, Altec 604, 605, & A-7, some highly modified with JBL LE-175 & LE 85, plus JBL monitors from which the engineer could chose for the particular talent genere; However, from day-one , the RCA Olson Duo Cone, LC- 1, Broadcast, ruler- flat- neutral monitor was always used in the final mix through out all RCA studios; especially for all RCA Living Stereo Red Seal Classics __with no exceptions.

Recordings lacking midrange presence suffer from speakers like the west coast Altec 604 with excess mid range presence perceived during the studio-recording monitoring process, which does not reveal the "Mashed Potatoe Sandwich Sound" in the studio tape.

RCA Recording Standard Practice always required a review of spectrum balance with the neutral Olson LC-1 speaker in the "Rework Room," where the Master Tape Mix is prepared prior to cutting the Lacquer masters for the pressings.
    -----------------------------------
    Cheers herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 02-27-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Natha

Thread Information