Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The west coast sound vs the east coast sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Oh, yeah- I'm mixing this project on some not-West-Coast-sounding JBLs from 1978. Sometimes I take the recordings upstairs to check them on my not-West-Coast-sounding JBLs from 1976.

je
    How would you compare an EV speaker system , a Bozak speaker system ,
    a Jensen speaker system and stacked AR speaker systems with your
    JBL speaker systems ?

Sal Solo uesed to use Cuebase

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I disagree yet also agree.

A violin I tried with digital on Cuebase version 5.1 on apple macG4 and I just couldn’t master the way to get it or a few of them to play a musical melody for few simple seconds at music & technology collage some 7 years ago.

I just gave up and liked mucking around with sound effects on CD library in the college on the pc that wasn’t too hard for me to get into after we, were told how to do basic stereo mixing.

It’s one of my, favourite instruments to listen to on film score soundtrack or classical music.
    But switched to Garage band and Finial Cut Express for his music and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I disagree yet also agree.

A violin I tried with digital on Cuebase version 5.1 on apple macG4 and I just couldn’t master the way to get it or a few of them to play a musical melody for few simple seconds at music & technology collage some 7 years ago.

I just gave up and liked mucking around with sound effects on CD library in the college on the pc that wasn’t too hard for me to get into after we, were told how to do basic stereo mixing.

It’s one of my, favourite instruments to listen to on film score soundtrack or classical music.
    Do you listen to much live music ? have you visited either Avery Fisher Hall or the Met in New York.
    technologies are not needed in both Halls because of out standing acoustics.
    The St.Louis Symphony Hall has excellent accoustics , no need for added
    technology.

I have visited some excellent halls in Europe England , Russia , and Austria. Their halls again had outstanding accoustics. None had any need
    for reproduction technologies. No color ! the opera house inParis was great , no reproduction equipment needed. Excellent accoustics.

As I pointed out before generations have grown up with colored sound !
    One must visit the great music halls to understand the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Hey Scotty: gotta break in here, a little OT..., but..

the other day we were discussing sound cards...I listen a lot on the PC when other systems are out of reach....(it does have 50wpc amp, L26's & Sonance MB-30's) ...anyway, after babbling with you, I got ambitious , took down the PC, located the new card that had never been installed and fought thru the installation....results were very impressive.

replaced a SB Live 5.1 with a SB Audigy 2zs ...the increased detail and bundled software has really produced a much more enjoyable music station....thanx for the push , SF
    No problem.

I talk to my astute younger DJ friends that are VERY computer savvy when I need information that I just don't know or understand as well as they do.

One thing EVERY one of them has always told me, is that the sound card that comes stock with ANY computer is almost always not so hot. This is why there is such a big market for all the various brands and price points of sound cards.

How many hours, and dollars did we spend tweaking our systems, turntables, and seeking the better cartridge, to achieve better sound? Same thing with sound cards, you just upgraded to a MUCH better cartridge, and just like then, your sound opened up!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    No problem.

I talk to my astute younger DJ friends that are VERY computer savvy when I need information that I just don't know or understand as well as they do.
    well , 'puters were my thang since school in '75....tween working for Unk , Intel & Electric Lightwave ,
    I was immersed in them for years...Burned out on fixing all my friends box's & giving advise , so have kind of let it go during retirement.

How many hours, and dollars did we spend tweaking our systems, turntables, and seeking the better cartridge, to achieve better sound? Same thing with sound cards, you just upgraded to a MUCH better cartridge, and just like then, your sound opened up!
    I am still tweeking my systems, tho improvements are only incremental anymore
    ('cept replacing the AR-PS428's with L7's)

here is the prop on the new card: (2004)

• Superior quality 24-bit/192kHz audio, ultra-realistic game effects, and studio quality music settings
    • Exclusive Creative THX Setup Console provides accurate audio calibration for a precise speaker listening environment
    • The only available PC platform for Advanced Resolution 24-bit/96kHz 5.1 surround and 24-bit/192kHz stereo DVD-Audio playback
    • Multi-Environment audio up to four simultaneous environments processed in real time, with Bass Boost, Multi-Band Graphic Equalizer
    • Complete Cinematic Surround Sound with DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX Movies

The Audigy 2 ZS currently remains as Creative’s flagship product, sensibly named after the original Audigy 2, the card has received a number upgrades and added features however change hasn’t been drastic enough to force over a new generation. Among the new features offered in the ZS we have true support for 7.1-channels, THX certification, DTS ES support (along with Dolby EX which was already present), ASIO2 support and updated EAX HD extensions, now on its 4th iteration, EAX has received wide support by game developers in the last few years.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-.../dp/B0000CG4DI
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    How would you compare an EV speaker system , a Bozak speaker system ,
    a Jensen speaker system and stacked AR speaker systems with your
    JBL speaker systems ?
    You already told me, earlier in this same thread, that you "disagree with most of my opinions on the subject of speakers", without even knowing what those opinions were. Now you want me to compare my JBL systems, which are still unknown to you, to things as vague as "an EV speaker system"? I've heard countless different EV speaker systems over the years, they've all been at least a little different, some drastically different. Most of them have been in Pro applications, I've heard only a few of their home-oriented systems.

I have 7 different JBL systems running right now, they all sound at least a little bit different from each other, some drastically different from each other. Actually, there's 10 systems if you count the three live PA systems I've been using lately. There'll be 11 next week if I go pick up my other pair from getting new veneers. 13 if I feel like putting my spares into the kitchen & walk-in closet. Hmmm...

The one piece of information I can give you that might be on-topic and helpful to you is that the main thing I like about JBLs (vs. most other brands) is their effortless dynamics. They always seem to have something in reserve, when most other brands would start to wheeze or get brittle. I don't really like the sound of the only JBLs I have here that are/were considered "West Coast" - L100 Centurys and L100As (~1978). I keep trying to like them, in different systems in different locations, but I just don't. They'll some day get modified crossovers & tweeters, or they'll go away- not sure which just yet. I'll probably sell the all-original ones intact, and mod the ones I cobbled together from 4312 drivers.

Can't remember ever knowing that I was hearing a Bozak system, although it's entirely likely that I have heard them over the years.

I've only used Jensen for guitar, keyboard & harmonica amp speakers, never for hi-fi.

I had some ARs that were OK, but I'm not a fan of comb-filtering, and wouldn't stack them. The description I'd give from memory is that they sounded polite, bordering on dull. I gave the ARs away to a friend for free, his Dad owns a similar pair & it was a sentimental thing for him.

Uh-oh, the speakers here from my second-favorite speaker manufacturer all say "Made In West Germany"...now I have to go find some East German speakers to compare them with.

je

How would you compare an EV speaker system , a Bozak speaker system , a Jensen speaker system and stacked AR speaker systems with your JBL speaker systems ?
    Which ones, silly - model numbers/names matter!
    And which of HIS JBL systems did you want to compare to - he has a few and they do sound different.
    We did get invited to some listening test he did there a couple years back ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Which ones, silly - model numbers/names matter!
    And which of HIS JBL systems did you want to compare to - he has a few and they do sound different.
    We did get invited to some listening test he did there a couple years back ...
    I will put the question to you , do you attend live performances where there is no technologies added. A symphony hall or opera house where no speakers are amps needed.
    If so what were your impression ?

Question

You already told me, earlier in this same thread, that you "disagree with most of my opinions on the subject of speakers", without even knowing what those opinions were. Now you want me to compare my JBL systems, which are still unknown to you, to things as vague as "an EV speaker system"? I've heard countless different EV speaker systems over the years, they've all been at least a little different, some drastically different. Most of them have been in Pro applications, I've heard only a few of their home-oriented systems.

I have 7 different JBL systems running right now, they all sound at least a little bit different from each other, some drastically different from each other. Actually, there's 10 systems if you count the three live PA systems I've been using lately. There'll be 11 next week if I go pick up my other pair from getting new veneers. 13 if I feel like putting my spares into the kitchen & walk-in closet. Hmmm...

The one piece of information I can give you that might be on-topic and helpful to you is that the main thing I like about JBLs (vs. most other brands) is their effortless dynamics. They always seem to have something in reserve, when most other brands would start to wheeze or get brittle. I don't really like the sound of the only JBLs I have here that are/were considered "West Coast" - L100 Centurys and L100As (~1978). I keep trying to like them, in different systems in different locations, but I just don't. They'll some day get modified crossovers & tweeters, or they'll go away- not sure which just yet. I'll probably sell the all-original ones intact, and mod the ones I cobbled together from 4312 drivers.

Can't remember ever knowing that I was hearing a Bozak system, although it's entirely likely that I have heard them over the years.

I've only used Jensen for guitar, keyboard & harmonica amp speakers, never for hi-fi.

I had some ARs that were OK, but I'm not a fan of comb-filtering, and wouldn't stack them. The description I'd give from memory is that they sounded polite, bordering on dull. I gave the ARs away to a friend for free, his Dad owns a similar pair & it was a sentimental thing for him.

Uh-oh, the speakers here from my second-favorite speaker manufacturer all say "Made In West Germany"...now I have to go find some East German speakers to compare them with.

je
    I only disagreed with what you have posted. I am not the only one reading your post. Others may agree.

Which speakers , let's go with the big one's : The Bozak Concert Grands ,
    The Jensen Imperials . The Tannoy Churchills , and The EV Patricians !
    Today those speakers are worth a lot of money.
    Front loaded horns , rear loaded horns , infinate baffle. Some weighting more than 300 lbs !

oh I might ask do you have a JBL Paragon or a JBL Hartsfield ? among your several JBL speaker systems ? Again very valuable.

I only disagreed with what you have posted. I am not the only one reading your post. Others may agree.

Front loaded horns , rear loaded horns , infinate baffle. Some weighting more than 300 lbs !

oh I might ask do you have a JBL Paragon or a JBL Hartsfield ? among your several JBL speaker systems ? Again very valuable.
    You didn't disagree with what I'd posted, you disagreed with things I hadn't even posted yet.

Nope, I've never heard a single one of the systems you've listed (except, possibly in some cathedrals?). I have heard many, many big (and big $$) systems, though.

je

You see Wolf, you start to come around a bit, and seems like you understand what people say. THEN, you ALWAYS go back to the FINANCIAL VALUE of things.

We know, as much as you do, GOOD THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE! But, when I listen to my system, I do not hear $$$$$, I hear music! And when someone asks me a question about the sound, or the music, or the technology I am using I do NOT respond by saying it COST THIS MUCH!

I just answer them with a simple and correct explanation.

If someone compliments my sound, or what I am playing, again, I don't respond by telling them HOW MUCH IT COST or WHY I AM SO RIGHT, AND ABOVE ANYONE ELSE! I just smile and say THANK YOU.

You know what? I also have some lesser cost gear, that I prefer over supposed state of the art, EXPENSIVE gear. I have a few crossovers that didn't cost a what a car does, and actually was better sounding to me, for my application, than units costing 4 times as much.

And, as valuable as a paragon may be to a collector, to me it is a dated looking cabinet, without the HF and LF response I need. Regardless of what it might be worth. So, other than to flip and resell for MORE than I paid for it, it has NO value to me as a speaker system.

I am not saying it is a bad speaker, either. IF you like them, and they are your perception of an "ALL THAT" speaker system, then, ENJOY THEM!

But, it is all relative to the person using any product and what their needs, likes, and wants are!
    scottyj

You see Wolf, you start to come around a bit, and seems like you understand what people say. THEN, you ALWAYS go back to the FINANCIAL VALUE of things.

We know, as much as you do, GOOD THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE! But, when I listen to my system, I do not hear $$$$$, I hear music! And when someone asks me a question about the sound, or the music, or the technology I am using I do NOT respond by saying it COST THIS MUCH!

I just answer them with a simple and correct explanation.

If someone compliments my sound, or what I am playing, again, I don't respond by telling them HOW MUCH IT COST or WHY I AM SO RIGHT, AND ABOVE ANYONE ELSE! I just smile and say THANK YOU.

You know what? I also have some lesser cost gear, that I prefer over supposed state of the art, EXPENSIVE gear. I have a few crossovers that didn't cost a what a car does, and actually was better sounding to me, for my application, than units costing 4 times as much.
    Scotty,
    The differences are that I was once an audiophile , I was looking for the best audio system I could afford ! There was four or five outstanding speakers out there. I was intent on having one of them.

My audiophile friends felt the same. A search for the closest one could get to live sound. I prefered the Hartsfields to the other speakers. The closest in sound to the Hartsfields in my opinion was the Tannoy Churchills.
    The further the Bozak Concert Grands.

All the speakers named were outstanding. problem a room that would accommodate them. Of course the finest associate equipment. now sit back and enjoy yourself.

It's almost what dreams or made of.

You didn't disagree with what I'd posted, you disagreed with things I hadn't even posted yet.

Nope, I've never heard a single one of the systems you've listed (except, possibly in some cathedrals?). I have heard many, many big (and big $$) systems, though.

je
    That actually deserves a better response, I was in a hurry. I'd love to hear any of the systems you named in a good-sounding room with complementary gear. I'd never pass up that opportunity.

je

That actually deserves a better response, I was in a hurry. I'd love to hear any of the systems you named in a good-sounding room with complementary gear. I'd never pass up that opportunity.

je
    You and I have a common interest music and audio. We both appreciate JBL's and it's history.
    Nothing personal , we just agree to disagree. Our taste in music may be different and maybe even audio gear. As I have said many times I respect
    those differences.

Scotty,
    The differences are that I was once an audiophile , I was looking for the best audio system I could afford ! There was four or five outstanding speakers out there. I was intent on having one of them.

My audiophile friends felt the same. A search for the closest one could get to live sound. I prefered the Hartsfields to the other speakers. The closest in sound to the Hartsfields in my opinion was the Tannoy Churchills.
    The further the Bozak Concert Grands.

All the speakers named were outstanding. problem a room that would accommodate them. Of course the finest associate equipment. now sit back and enjoy yourself.

It's almost what dreams or made of.
    What sounds like the closest to the real performance, itself, is again, subjective to each individual!

In 1979, with all our horn loaded Altec VOTT cabinets, our horn loaded 18in subs, JBL 2395/2441 horns, and at the time Altec 808,s with tangerine phase plugs and Community horns for tweeters, all Crown powered, the proper electronics and a Bozak mixer, and TT with stanton 681SE cartridges, I could play a symphony recording, and IT SOUNDED like the symphony was IN MY PLACE!

And this room is big enough to house the massive system it has.
    scottyj

Thread Information