Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is an audiophile ?

What is an audiophile ?

Today you rarely here that term used. Pre 1970's audiophile was used quite often. One was proud to be defined as an audiophile.

With the advent of HD television and the Ipod "Geeks" appear to be the name one hears today. Audio appears today to take a back seat behind computer produced music and television.

The American Heritage Dictionary definds Audiophile " A high fidelity audio hobbist "
    The complete Guide to High End Audio definds it as "A person who values sound quality in reproduced music "

I personally think most of those who listen to audio today or "Geeks " there are exceptions.
    What do you all think ?

Obsolete
    By the definitions you cited I would say we're all audiophiles then.

I always thought the "geek" label people liked to toss around was "retarded".

American Heritage Dictionary left out all references to Paragon, vinyl, Sinatra, etc.

Surely they are not to be trusted!

So I was reading the June '54 copy of "Audio Engineering" last night (I'm a little behind on my reading stack) and it looks like this question has been recycled for a LONG time....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I usually avoid philosophical discussions, but I'll dip my toe in the water. I hate the term Audiophile. Having worked at several audio stores in the past, I came to associate Audiophiles with the guys that listened to music because it made their systems sound great, but didn't know a thing about the music, the performance, or didn't necessarily even like the music. No one take offense, please, but if I ever show up to hang with you and hear Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum" even before I get in the front door, I'll probably just leave...

Anyway, the greatest music lovers I have known have been Postmen and teachers and, well, musicians, who never had the money to buy first rate stuff and spent their extra cash paying to go to performances. I separate my audio friends into music lovers and gearheads. I confess that I am a gearhead, but I do aspire to be more.

As an aside, if you ever get a chance, see Pink Martini in concert - It will satisfy both the gearhead and music lover's sides of your brain.

That's all, folks.

I would say that an audiophile is someone who is adicted to messing around with all sorts audio equipment. Well..not really "mess around", but you get my drift.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

As a musician myself, I totally relate to your position. I enjoy both the music and the gear. Ideally the gear brings you closer to the music. But I can't relate to the folks that push it to an extreme with respect to cables and other tweaks.

I saw Pink Martini in concert at an intimate setting in Upstate NY about two years ago. I thought they were "cute" and quite wide ranging in their talent. But it wasn't really my cup of tea. The best part was that they did not require much in the way of amplification, thereby allowing one to really hear the musicians.

I can find bits of every post on this thread that I can relate to and agree with.

Though I personally do not think the term audiophile is in itself an insult. Unfortunately I see people on this forum and others use it as one. To me it simply means an audio enthusiast. I certainly agree that an audiophile is not a music lover and a music lover is not an audiophile, however in no way are the two mutually exclusive. I know audiophiles who love music and have invested great amounts of their money and living space on their record collections and I have known audiophiles who own a couple of "test" records and not much else in terms of music, yet they tinker with sound reproduction and enjoy it in their own way. Who cares? What does it matter why we are drawn to this hobby? Like it or not, there isn't anyone reading this that wouldn't be considered an audiophile by "normal" people.

As far as Hi-Fi snobbery... there is snobbery in every field, why should this one be any different? The funny thing is that there are those who snub people who listen to music through large vintage horn systems and there are those on this forum who disdain the Vandersteen, Sonus Faber, et al listeners...

People seem to get all riled up over wires and cables, tubes vs. solid state, ferrite vs. alnico, horns vs. domes and cones, digital, vs. analog, big old vintage speakers vs. modern audiophile speakers, and on and on. What the hell is an audiophile speaker anyway?

I am currently listening to ADS L910s... are they audiophile speakers? They certainly sound good to me. I am sure they were considered "audiophile" back in their day, though today they are considered "big brown and ugly", by most people. I find them remarkably satisfying on a wide range of music, though I have to admit I don't have any Micky Hart drum records.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those are nice speakers Widget.

Audiophile: a person with an ardent interest in high-fidelity sound reproduction. For an excellent example of this OCD behaviour, listen to the "Song of Reproduction," from "At the Drop of a Hat" by Swann & Flanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I can find bits of every post on this thread that I can relate to and agree with.

Though I personally do not think the term audiophile is in itself an insult. Unfortunately I see people on this forum and others use it as one. To me it simply means an audio enthusiast. I certainly agree that an audiophile is not a music lover and a music lover is not an audiophile, however in no way are the two mutually exclusive. I know audiophiles who love music and have invested great amounts of their money and living space on their record collections and I have known audiophiles who own a couple of "test" records and not much else in terms of music, yet they tinker with sound reproduction and enjoy it in their own way. Who cares? What does it matter why we are drawn to this hobby? Like it or not, there isn't anyone reading this that wouldn't be considered an audiophile by "normal" people.

As far as Hi-Fi snobbery... there is snobbery in every field, why should this one be any different? The funny thing is that there are those who snub people who listen to music through large vintage horn systems and there are those on this forum who disdain the Vandersteen, Sonus Faber, et al listeners...

People seem to get all riled up over wires and cables, tubes vs. solid state, ferrite vs. alnico, horns vs. domes and cones, digital, vs. analog, big old vintage speakers vs. modern audiophile speakers, and on and on. What the hell is an audiophile speaker anyway?

I am currently listening to ADS L910s... are they audiophile speakers? They certainly sound good to me. I am sure they were considered "audiophile" back in their day, though today they are considered "big brown and ugly", by most people. I find them remarkably satisfying on a wide range of music, though I have to admit I don't have any Micky Hart drum records.

Widget
    The purpose for a forum is to have dissusions about audio , specifically
    JBL 's . New vs old. After all Heritage is in the title of the forum.

There are those that have dificulty on any forum. We all learn something from a fair exchange. Point and counterpoint.
    Unless the forum is well policed there will be name calling and personal attacks.

Evolution is a part of living , we as humans evolve. So do our toys.
    The question submitted is , is that evolution postive as it applies to
    speakers ? We all have opinions on this topic , why not express those opinions in good taste.

My opinion may be no , another persons opinion may be yes , now lets discuss our differences in a gentlemanly manner.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I usually avoid philosophical discussions, but I'll dip my toe in the water. I hate the term Audiophile. Having worked at several audio stores in the past, I came to associate Audiophiles with the guys that listened to music because it made their systems sound great, but didn't know a thing about the music, the performance, or didn't necessarily even like the music. No one take offense, please, but if I ever show up to hang with you and hear Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum" even before I get in the front door, I'll probably just leave...

Anyway, the greatest music lovers I have known have been Postmen and teachers and, well, musicians, who never had the money to buy first rate stuff and spent their extra cash paying to go to performances. I separate my audio friends into music lovers and gearheads. I confess that I am a gearhead, but I do aspire to be more.

As an aside, if you ever get a chance, see Pink Martini in concert - It will satisfy both the gearhead and music lover's sides of your brain.

That's all, folks.
    An excellent point. My experience with most audiophiles is that they had little interest in music , their main interest was audio equipment.

It was fun discussioning who made the best power amp , or the best woofer, turntable , and tone arm. Music was rarely mention.

Having been a member of several car clubs , the same give and take existed. Some car clubs were more serious about their cars such as the
    Porsche car club.

Websites that discuss men's clothing is no different , which is better a Brioni suit or a Kiton suit ? Lobb shoes are Edward Green ?
    As always new vs old , many will say that young men today are generally poor dressers.
    The difference is there is no name calling and personal attacks ! Everybody learns something about men's clothing.

People refer to me sometimes as an audiophile - especially my neighbors. But honestly, I don't have really expensive equipment or speakers. I have just found what works for me and what sounds right for me.

I dislike the term as well, but I don't think a lot of people understand how the sound of music has changed with the advent of new systems and digital music. I am into an 'old sound' and my preference for the old sound came from when I was growing up with my fathers system. And with that older sound, comes older equipment that looks a lot different than a new receiver with an iPod hooked to it.

A lot of people that come to my house can't comprehend that the music they are listening to is coming out of a 45 year old Mc amp that is still going strong. With this older equipment there is more of a personal romantic relationship that some people don't understand or have gotten to yet or really don't care about. I like to learn the history of great pioneers and hear what Muddy Waters or Pete Fountain sounds like on a Mc tube system vs. solid state.

Personally I like most old JBLs and quite a few new ones (especially from the 1990's, which is an era that a lot of people loathe).

I buy more music than equipment, and actually don't buy much equipment anymore. I am no longer looking for the 'sound' or the end-all-be-all or audio nirvana. It's all about the music for me for sure.

Does this make me an audiophile? In my eyes I don't think so, but if it does then I am OK with it.

I would say an audiophile is someone who is passionate about music to the point where the quality of sound has an unusually high impact on how much it touches their soul. Now how one acts upon that impact is another thing altogether- I'm quite certain there are many out there who can afford and own some of the best gear available but do not have the same soul touching experience.

I may not be able to afford, or willing to spend obscene amounts of money on my gear, but that does not lessen my appreciation and drive for ever increasing amounts of hi-fidelity music reproduction. I've listened to a cassette boombox from KMart near tears over a song, but have also had the (mis)fortune of a few hours with the Everest2 and 100K worth of supporting electronics and painfully comprehend how close to heaven that is.....and I'll add that I spent an hour with a 30K set of Wilson Puppys a few hours prior and they were laughable compared to the E2, from a soul-touching perspective that is
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    According to yourself, you are " A high fidelity audio Hobbist"

AYY, I only call as I see, err, I mean, READ IT!
    Correct , At one time I was an audiophile. Today neither a hobbist or audiophile.

Thread Information