Thread: Vernb goes duplex/coax

Vernb goes duplex/coax

Well, it all started some years ago when I first saw these impressive looking coax drivers in my friends workshop. He owns every JBL unit I can think of, and doesn't ever do anything much with them besides collecting them, and nothing is ever for sale. I forgot about them again

Then another friend called me and asked if I wanted to buy a used pair of Pioneer CT-1010 speakers at €50. I said yes definately, and when I came to pick them up there were one 10" woofer missing, the 14" passives had unoriginal and wrong surrounds on them, the midrange drivers were damaged and the cabinets painted black by hand......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the dreamed of coax

I suddenly remembered them again and for some weird reason, my friend actually wanted to sell them, including original x-overs

so in my mind and in my workshop I began to work on this idea

the paint was scraped off in a week or so. The some oil and an MDF front

Monster M-series cable inside and a pair of 4" reflexports at the back

after breaking in and towing in, matching up with good vintage gear: They sound better than Tannoy Dual Concentrics, in my opinion.
    Better dynamics, deeper bass response, and better/funkier looks

¥eah, coaxial definitely has its points. I've enjoyed them quite a bit myself.

Nice adaptation of a cabinet.

Are you using the stock crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    ¥eah, coaxial definitely has its points. I've enjoyed them quite a bit myself.

Nice adaptation of a cabinet.

Are you using the stock crossover?
    Yes I am using the stock x-over, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade it yet.
    Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Vern
    ,,,,snip,,,,I first saw these impressive looking coax drivers in my friends workshop.,,,,,snip,,,,,,
    Very Cool Vern !

But are you ever going to tell us the make & model # of your new duplexes ?

>< cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Very Cool Vern !

But are you ever going to tell us the make & model # of your new duplexes ?

>< cheers
    Took me a little while to find out. Seems they are Beyma XT15. An actual Altec copy/rip-off. They use JBL diapragms

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    Took me a little while to find out. Seems they are Beyma XT15. An actual Altec copy/rip-off. They use JBL diapragms

How do you think the Beymas sound compared to the altec 604 ( older or newer versions)

-G

Quote Originally Posted by Progneta View Post
    How do you think the Beymas sound compared to the altec 604 ( older or newer versions)

-G
    Well. I have never heard the Altec 604 drivers. I owned a few JBL separate horns (LE85, 2420,2425, 276ND, 2440, 2450) and woofers (LE15a, 123a-1, 2235, e-145, 1400PRO) and always liked them a lot. I also owned Tannoy DC units 15" and 12", and one day I saw the duplex drivers and thought it made sense. I wanted to try them out.
    On another forum a member bags all DC/coax/duplex drivers, and says they all need a subwoofer and a supertweeter. He claims to have tried them all and likes the Beymas the best.....

I really like the sound of them. And I think they are at least as good as Tannoy DC. I don't think they need a supertweeter, which I do think many of the older Altec/JBL drivers/horns do.

Now I still would like to try a set of 604-K but they don't show up often in Europe, and prices are steep.

Vernb

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    Well. I have never heard the Altec 604 drivers. I owned a few JBL separate horns (LE85, 2420,2425, 276ND, 2440, 2450) and woofers (LE15a, 123a-1, 2235, e-145, 1400PRO) and always liked them a lot. I also owned Tannoy DC units 15" and 12", and one day I saw the duplex drivers and thought it made sense. I wanted to try them out.
    On another forum a member bags all DC/coax/duplex drivers, and says they all need a subwoofer and a supertweeter. He claims to have tried them all and likes the Beymas the best.....

I really like the sound of them. And I think they are at least as good as Tannoy DC. I don't think they need a supertweeter, which I do think many of the older Altec/JBL drivers/horns do.

Now I still would like to try a set of 604-K but they don't show up often in Europe, and prices are steep.

Vernb
    Nice find! I have been collecting Altec 604's for years...In short I love the snot out of them. I dont think they need a super tweeter, but I do like have a separate subwoofer. I think that once you add a good woofer for extra bass that is lacking, you have a very very nice sound. I think that asking the 604 - any speaker - to produce every sound in the spectrum is tough. Adding a subwoofer allows the 604 to really shine!

I have added tweeters and I think that it can make them sound a little to airy, perhaps unbalanced.

Glad to hear you got some duplexes

Thread Information