Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jbl L150 or JBL L7

Obsolete
    Utterly outstanding!

You know... now that JBL is going to be "Made In Anywhere But U.S.A." all this stuff is probably going to skyrocket in value... I'd imagine that most of it will get moved overseas to the Asian market rather rapidly since they are the only people left on the planet that hold "Made in U.S.A." dear.

JBL just sold out their last ace in the hole.

Heck, so did Crown for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    which rubber surrounds are you referring to ?? My L7's have standard foam on the LF driver.

Am I reading this correctly ? L1 is a studio monitor ?
    I should clarify, the mid-bass and mid of the L7 have rubber surrounds, but yes, the 12" LF has foam, though I've not seen many/any sets that I can recall that stated they needed or had a refoam.

if you're saying you paid <100 for L7s that's a great deal less than "a little below market", these sell for >450 on ebay and CL much, much, much more often than they sell for <450??. if you're saying they're slightly better than the L65, I can't help you there ;-) will just have to use statistics to compare the avg opinions of those who've heard both

L100= consumer version of 4311 (near field studio monitor)-- identical by design and performance, in fact the history section of this forum states the demise of the L100 in the late 70s came from consumers realizing the identical 4311 could be purchased at a fraction of the L100 markup---I'm sure someone will correct any slight errors I've made, the this is the basic gist
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

IMHO the L7's sound much better than the L150's. Yes placement is an issue, but I actually have both side by side right now.

150's are scratch free, new foams. You can have them for $450.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    if you're saying you paid <100 for L7s that's a great deal less than "a little below market", these sell for >450 on ebay and CL much, much, much more often than they sell for <450??. if you're saying they're slightly better than the L65, I can't help you there ;-)
    OKAY...I got the L7 pair plus a PS100 sub for $125 ...figure the sub was worth 25

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=27291

Phil has picked up couple sets of L7's at approx $200.

have never heard L-65's...I compared them to L-166's.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    L100= consumer version of 4311 (near field studio monitor)-- identical by design and performance, in fact the history section of this forum states the demise of the L100 in the late 70s came from consumers realizing the identical 4311 could be purchased at a fraction of the L100 markup---I'm sure someone will correct any slight errors I've made, the this is the basic gist
    The rap on L1's is "FAKE BUT FUN"...can't see any studio in the last 30 years using these as monitors. ....wud like to see someone who really knows tell me that L100 & 4311 are identical.
    Wud guess same drivers, modified xover.....heck, my much appreciated 4410's shared nearly the same drivers as L80T , which very few people defend...they are different beasts.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The rap on L1's is "FAKE BUT FUN"...can't see any studio in the last 30 years using these as monitors. ....wud like to see someone who really knows tell me that L100 & 4311 are identical.
    You're forgetting that the 4311 and other "Control" monitors were voiced to mimic the popular Altec monitors of the time and were never intended to carry a "flat" response. Purpose-built and successful.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Someone's coming to pick my L150's up tomorrow and all can say is that the longer I owned them the more they grew on me; to the point that I kind of hate to see them go. They need a good amp with decent low end control or they can sound a little loose and wooly but when driven by good amplification they are pretty good and hold up pretty well alongside more modern systems

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You're forgetting that the 4311 and other "Control" monitors were voiced to mimic the popular Altec monitors of the time and were never intended to carry a "flat" response. Purpose-built and successful.
    makes sense in that perspective....but by extrapolation...L100's mimicked Altec monitors ?

makes sense in that perspective....but by extrapolation...L100's mimicked Altec monitors ?
    That would appear to be a sound deductive conclusion. I'm only repeating what I've read here: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...10&postcount=6
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

From a guy named Don
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...0%27s+monitors
    For example, no one in their right mind would buy an L100 for use as a studio monitor. That is because the acoustically identical 4311 could be had for around two thirds of the cost of an L100. However, by end of the 70’s, many people were buying 4311’s for home use because of this price differential and this was partially responsible for the demise of the L100.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

JBL L7 static/distortion

I just purchased a pair of JBL L7 Loudspeakers and they are connected to my Onkyo Receiver TX-DS696.When I first played this combo they sounded really good without having the 12' woofer playing,however when I decided to change to heavy guage of speaker wire(16 guage) to try hooking a Adcom 545 for 12' woofer(which didn't work to well) I decided to unhook the Adcom and go with the previous set-up.When I play the system now there is static and distortion after a few minutes and sometimes 20-30 minutes after the CD is playing.I wonder do I need to hook up an amplifier and a pre-amp instead of a receiver to get the sound that I want without the distortion and static?

Quote Originally Posted by MLM View Post
    I just purchased a pair of JBL L7 Loudspeakers and they are connected to my Onkyo Receiver TX-DS696.When I first played this combo they sounded really good without having the 12' woofer playing,however when I decided to change to heavy guage of speaker wire(16 guage) to try hooking a Adcom 545 for 12' woofer(which didn't work to well) I decided to unhook the Adcom and go with the previous set-up.When I play the system now there is static and distortion after a few minutes and sometimes 20-30 minutes after the CD is playing.I wonder do I need to hook up an amplifier and a pre-amp instead of a receiver to get the sound that I want without the distortion and static?
    Check your wiring and your amps. It doesn't sound like the problem is with the speakers. Why not run the L7s with the terminals bridged with just the Onkyo? They love lots of power but will work with small power, too. Your Onkyo should be good for at least 100-watts per channel. Have you seen the L7 owners manual supplement that deals specifically with wiring, including bi-wiring, bi-amping, etc? http://www.manualslib.com/manual/284...L7.html#manual

...Am I reading this correctly ? L1 is a studio monitor ?
    Not in my universe!

In response to the original question, I would go with the L150. I just don't like the sound of that tweeter in the L7, I find it fatiguing.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    well now that I actually own 4311B's, my comments vs. L100's have a bit more experience behind them.

My L-100's are in Chicago with my son, but I remember them well. The 4311, despite having the same drivers, seems a bit more accurate (if turned upside down from how they were designed ), the bass does not seem so accentuated, but they certainly are "kissin' cousins". Less of the "best coast" sound.

My earlier comments v. 4410 vs, L80T still stand ..virtually same drivers..different sound.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Had a friend who had the L150's eons ago, and all SAE gear in front. We thought they sounded really good for their day. He had white-woofer monitors in the other room as well, 4311's I suppose. Don't think I've ever sat down for a listen to L7's, might have heard them in passing at an audio shop somewhere.

Seawolf - I usually don't have trouble with your terminology, but can we please stop referring to speakers as a "solution" around here? They're not a computer or piece of software! The audio curmudgeon in me is offended. En garde!

You guys do understand that the last post in this thread before yesterday was nearly six-years-old and yesterday's newbie was asking an L7 question pretty much unrelated to the thread content, right? I answered him anyway but now it seems we're dredging up the old stuff.

Thread Information