Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jbl L150 or JBL L7

jbl L150 or JBL L7

Hello , I'm new here , and I'm looking at these 2 speakers for about the same price .
    The L150 are recently re-foamed and in great shape , there is'nt much info on the web about the L150 as there is about the L100 .They look similar ,apart from the passive radiator .
    I know finding someone with experience with both speakers is a long shot , just looking for some opinions since its a 2 hour drive , 4 hours total . So i guess my question is wich would you choose and why? thx

Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit View Post
    Hello , I'm new here , and I'm looking at these 2 speakers for about the same price .
    The L150 are recently re-foamed and in great shape , there is'nt much info on the web about the L150 as there is about the L100 .They look similar ,apart from the passive radiator .
    I know finding someone with experience with both speakers is a long shot , just looking for some opinions since its a 2 hour drive , 4 hours total . So i guess my question is wich would you choose and why? thx

there should be no longshot finding that experience here. you can find all you want to read on the L7 in the "JBL L Series (1990s) thread" on the first page of this General Information area

there's also a ton of L150 information if you do a search, they are very different speakers with very different design philosophies, from different eras with the L150 being a bit older. I only own the L7 but will bet that few who've heard both would recommend the L150 over the L7
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

L150, no competition!

The L150 is a nice example of a well-regarded three-way model that is outdated, using old drivers (at least three decades old) and technology in a still aesthetically attractive container.

The L7 is a great example of an under-appreciated four-way model that is much newer and up-to-date than the L150, but far from being current. It uses newer and better (but dated by at least a decade) drivers and much better technology in a less aesthetically well-regarded but superior container.

I have passed on every L150 that I've had the chance to purchase, even at some amazingly low prices, while I've purchased far more L7s than I will ever need, even to the point that I had to give some to my son and sell some to make room for other JBLs I had to have.

The L150 has never fallen into the had to have category for me.
    Out.

It's all subjective but from a sound stand point "I" would jump on the L-7 in a heartbeat dollar for dollar. I have owned them both.

Thanks For the replies .

I have been doing some reading in the JBL L thread . Allot of talk about the L7's and the importance of placement ,my front wall is 14 feet wide, I can put the speakers 8 feet apart leaving them 3 feet from side wall should be ok yes ?

I am aware that the L150 are old or ''outdated'' , but my speakers in the living room are some Klipsch Cornwall's from 1974 , they are outdated and far from being ''the perfect speaker'' but i enjoy them allot , maybe the reason why I am open do the idea of buying some old speakers .

One quality i look for in speakers is good mid-range detail and presence , which speaker, would you say has an advantage in this area ?

Btw am I allowed to use the ''K'' word on this forum

L150A is the way to go in the L150 versions. A wonderful speaker I could only aspire to in the '80s. I never knew about the L7 until the big thread here. Now I own two pair.

To decide between an L150 and an L7? L7.

To decide between an L150A and an L7? Buy both.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hey, Watchamacallit,

I've never heard either speaker, but have heard good things about both. I might lean towards the L7's, as you already have a nice pair of vintage speaks in the Cornwalls. But, hey, you may well like the L150's, too. By the way, now that you've mentioned the "K" word, you must say 5 "James Lansings", and 8 "Forty-three-forty-fives", and you will be absolved of your sins!! Have fun with your decision, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I really think that I should seek out a nice pair of L7's, just to see how Sweet Bride and I like them. If the price was right, it would be fun to compare them to our L300's.
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

as much as I love the L7, if there's one thing about it that has had me considering another speaker with a Ti mid-range/tweeter combo, it is the acclaimed improvement in midrange detail, which I also prize over bass elements. I still think the LE5-2 midrange on my 1975 L100 is better that that on the L7, even though as a studio monitor it's designed to have a very forward mid, I still think it has better air and detail, I don't know if the voicing on the LE5-10 on the L150 carries that presentation?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit View Post
    Thanks For the replies .

I have been doing some reading in the JBL L thread . Allot of talk about the L7's and the importance of placement ,my front wall is 14 feet wide, I can put the speakers 8 feet apart leaving them 3 feet from side wall should be ok yes ?

I am aware that the L150 are old or ''outdated'' , but my speakers in the living room are some Klipsch Cornwall's from 1974 , they are outdated and far from being ''the perfect speaker'' but i enjoy them allot , maybe the reason why I am open do the idea of buying some old speakers .

One quality i look for in speakers is good mid-range detail and presence , which speaker, would you say has an advantage in this area ?

Btw am I allowed to use the ''K'' word on this forum
    YES you are allowed to use the K word on this forum!

If you could, listening to both would be the best way to really know what is the "RIGHT" choice for you.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    P.S. I really think that I should seek out a nice pair of L7's, just to see how Sweet Bride and I like them. If the price was right, it would be fun to compare them to our L300's.
    Doc, I wish you would, seeing they can be had for $200 with patience-- having another comparison to the iconic L300 is always of tremendous interest here, seeing how much attention the L7/4333 shootout received

Morning, JBLAddict,

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a nice pair of L7's, here in So. Cal. If they can be had for $200, I'd certainly buy a pair, as long as they were not too beat, and everything functioned. I got my nice 4411's for that same price, though I did have to have Edgewound refoam the woofers. In any case, I'll see about a pair of L7's, and maybe they will come to hand. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hey Doc, the rubber surrounds on the Lseries are basically immune to disintegration, so most pairs, if anything, the concern is the cabinet condition. I've seen many many pairs in the OC/LA CL listings over the past couple years, though I must admit usually >$400....it seems the cases where someone is offloading them at bargain basement prices out of ignorance occurs outside our area eg BMW's finding multiple L5/L7 sets <$200 w/in driving distance, can't think of a single pair in SoCal I've seen in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Hey Doc, the rubber surrounds on the Lseries are basically immune to disintegration, so most pairs, if anything, the concern is the cabinet condition.
    which rubber surrounds are you referring to ?? My L7's have standard foam on the LF driver.

Paid $100 for my pair, which is a little below market....they are hidden in the back of the HT where I dont have to see them ....they are OK, a little better than my old L-166's

If I had better woodworking skills...they'd be chopped up like that beautiful 2 box solution

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d.php?p=175109

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    I still think the LE5-2 midrange on my 1975 L100 is better that that on the L7, even though as a studio monitor it's designed to have a very forward mid, I still think it has better air and detail, I don't know if the voicing on the LE5-10 on the L150 carries that presentation?
    Am I reading this correctly ? L1 is a studio monitor ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    If I had better woodworking skills...they'd be chopped up like that beautiful 2 box solution ...was that up Seattle way ?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...4&postcount=18

Thread Information