Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I upgrade JBL L110

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    The 033's were both pushed in when I got these, popping them out helped considerably, but they still have little dimples around the lower part of the dome that causes a bit of lobing that bothers me when using them near-field.
    The pair I bought had no woofers included, and one tweet was pushed in and DOA. I took them apart and pushed out the dome, replaced the little foam inside, and on the other tweet, found the break in the vc wire and unwound a turn and resoldered it very carefully. Ground down the solder bead, and reset the diaphragm into the magnet/motor. All works just fine!

I never think that they bother me in the near field, and that's where mine are, three feet from my work bench firing in my ears all day. I am just saying that I appreciate these little wonders more and more and for $50, they are a great score!!! (except for the expensive le111 recone kit I had to buy for one of my off of the shelf drivers)

Enjoy them!!!
    Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    The pair I bought had no woofers included, and one tweet was pushed in and DOA. I took them apart and pushed out the dome, replaced the little foam inside, and on the other tweet, found the break in the vc wire and unwound a turn and resoldered it very carefully. Ground down the solder bead, and reset the diaphragm into the magnet/motor. All works just fine!

I never think that they bother me in the near field, and that's where mine are, three feet from my work bench firing in my ears all day. I am just saying that I appreciate these little wonders more and more and for $50, they are a great score!!! (except for the expensive le111 recone kit I had to buy for one of my off of the shelf drivers)

Enjoy them!!!
    Scotty.
    Same here- mine have been in use near-field for more than 10 years now, and they were garbage-picked so my only expense has been replacing the woofers with fresh re-cones from 4313B...they get a workout every day and have been perfect for my uses.

Actually, after the latest listening party here, I've been subbing modded 4401s and L20T3s just to see how I like them, and as much as I've been able to adapt pretty well I'm really missing the L110s. The 4401s will move to a nearby desk and the L20T3s will go to the video editing desk, the L110s will be back in place soon.

je

For an easy better-than-stock upgrade, a guy could replace the old caps with poly units, trade the iron core inductors with air cores of a larger gauge and toss the fragile stock binding posts in favor of gold plated brass parts.

I'd like to kick my L110s up a notch as well.
    I was thinking of using 035Ti tweets, 104H-2 mids and LE10H woofers... of course this will require a completely new crossover.
    Anything already out there made to work with that combination?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'd like to kick my L110s up a notch as well.
    I was thinking of using ... LE10H woofers... of course this will require a completely new crossover.
    What's in there now? I thought they were LE10H-1s?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Mine are just the L110s, not the L110As, so they have LE111As in there now.
    Actually, I don't really have a problem with the stock woofers, it's just that I have a pair of NOS LE10Hs freshly refoamed on the shelf... it would be a shame not to use them.

Cool 4410

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Mine are just the L110s, not the L110As, so they have LE111As in there now.
    Actually, I don't really have a problem with the stock woofers, it's just that I have a pair of NOS LE10Hs freshly refoamed on the shelf... it would be a shame not to use them.
    I'm really happy with my (completely reversible) "upgrade". I put in the XO's from a pair of 4410A's, (mounted to a piece of ply made up in the shape and size of the original XO, so it bolts in the same way) and the 104H-2's and 035's you mention earlier.

The sound is closer to my 4412A's in the front room now, so going from one to the other is less of a shock to the system...

I'm sure it's less than ideal with the LE111A's, but I like it. The 4410 XO might be better, it has L-Pads, but I don't miss them at all with this setup.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

You might try the 034 as a drop-in replacement for the 033's in the L110.

The 034 is an aluminum dome tweeter as opposed to the soft-dome tweeter of the 033. They are the same shape and use the same screw holes.

I played with these on my L150's and they sounded great although since they were made for smaller speakers they had issues with the plastic frame vibrating (033 has metal frame). Not sure if that would be an issue on the L110; it's mainly an issue with the L150 due to the semi-sealed passive radiator design that keeps the cabinet pressurized.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    You might try the 034 as a drop-in replacement for the 033's in the L110.

The 034 is an aluminum dome tweeter as opposed to the soft-dome tweeter of the 033. They are the same shape and use the same screw holes.

I played with these on my L150's and they sounded great although since they were made for smaller speakers they had issues with the plastic frame vibrating (033 has metal frame). Not sure if that would be an issue on the L110; it's mainly an issue with the L150 due to the semi-sealed passive radiator design that keeps the cabinet pressurized.
    The 034 isn't an upgrade from an 033 (unless, I guess, they're damaged 033s). The 034s don't have nearly as much high-frequency extension, plus their overall output is lower.

I'll grant you that it might be easier to find a pair of undamaged 034s these days.

je

Thread Information