Regis

Ooops, here's a pic

My 2214H...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Regis

The Pro version...

2214H Pro...

Those look like the woofers from the L200T3. It uses a larger dustcap and I think is a slightly different woofer.

The L-200T3 uses the 120T3 woofer, it takes the C8R120T3 cone kit. It seems to be completely different from the 2214.
    I noticed that the 2214Hs in Regis's post have the surround glued to the front of the cone, which is incorrect. I think that the same person who did the refoam probably put the wrong dust caps on as well.

Regis

?????

I hear you, but different woofer? The one with the bigger dustcap is a 2214H and the one on the bottom is a 2214H, but the pro series. I saw the discussion on dustcaps earlier today or last weekend and it made sense, but now I hear you saying that the woofer comes from a L200T3. Did JBL spec a 2214 in the L200T3 with the oversize dustcap (I do like how it looks!)

Well if they are marked 2214 then yes an oversize dustcap and foam on the wrong side, makes sense may have used a shim the coil kit.

Rob

Regis

Thanks...

... Rob and Don for the insight. Yes, Don, I believe you're right, they did glue the surround to the front, but I've seen JBL authorized service centers do just that to my little brothers 126A's. No difference in the sound that I can tell.

Obsolete

Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by Regis
    Yes, Don, I believe you're right, they did glue the surround to the front, but I've seen JBL authorized service centers do just that to my little brothers 126A's. No difference in the sound that I can tell.
    If I recall correctly the voice coil winding depth on the 126A is sufficient that attaching the surround on the front of the cone instead of the back probably isn't an issue. The loss of xmax would be inconsequential. However, best practice is to mount the surround as designed and intended. I would not mount the surround on the front of a 2122 transducer for instance.

Regis

GCBY

(Good Call By You)! Regarding the 126A, I never even noticed the surround being done wrong until years after, when I refoamed them. Then I was forced to follow the practice as it would be too ugly to leave the glue. Reconing is the only way to fix that or bring them back, but too late for that. Interesting note about the 2122. Must be a very tight tolerance, too bad there isn't a list of speakers that would not do well with the surrounds done wrong. (Sounds like a bad country song, "Somebody done my surrounds wrong...")

Thread Information