Thread: Recone shop near Nashville,TN for ALTEC 604-8H?

Recone shop near Nashville,TN for ALTEC 604-8H?

Hi gang!

Was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable recone shop near Nashville, TN? I have a set of ALtec 604-8H's from my UREI 813's that I need to have reconed, and really prefer to avoid shipping them if possible. I haven't had any luck finding a place than can source the parts... Ideas? I guess I could buy the parts from Great Plains if necessary, but I still need to find a reliable shop nearby.

Thanks!
    Bobby

- If I was in your shoes I would just call GPA and have them recommend a reconer in your area that they're willing to supply recone kits to.

>< cheers

GPAs' phone # : (405) 789-0221 or (405) 787-0987

Gpa 604 Recone Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - If I was in your shoes I would just call GPA and have them recommend a reconer in your area that they're willing to supply recone kits to.

>< cheers

GPAs' phone # : (405) 789-0221 or (405) 787-0987

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent recommendation from Earl K ... If i may barge in with my two cents ... GPA will sell, direct to consumers, complete 604-8H cone kits, except the adhesive which is considered a shipping hazard. Please call Bill at GPA for procurement & complete installation procedures.

Prior to the Event of Epoxy, RCA Camden used an excellent "Gilbert & Spruense Inc., MEK-Solvent, based adhesive, which does not shrink during the cure. "Gilbert & Spruense Inc., based in Philadelphia, Pa.,has been absorbed by some big corporation, still unidentified.

For an excellent product line of adhesives, and the popular "Aquaplas.", contact this firm:

Blachford inc., Steve Erickson Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Blachford Incorporated 1400 Nuclear Drive, West Chicago, IL 60185 U.S.A., Tel: 630-231-8300 Fax: 630-231-8321

For now...Best to check with Earl K for a suitable adhesive.

Cheers herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 02-16-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Natha

I've already talked to both Bill and Steve @ GPA, seems that there's few qualified recone shops left in the Nashville area. I have a guy @ Clair that can do the work, but the shop there is backed up for months, and I have one other guy, but he's charging more than double the labor rate of GPA. At least I can avoid shipping. Just trying to see if there's anyone else in the area before I jump on it...

Gpa 604 Recone Kits

Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob View Post
    I've already talked to both Bill and Steve @ GPA, . At least I can avoid shipping. .
    Excellent! Do take care in chosing the critical adhesives & keep us informed, herki
    Last edited by herki the cat; 02-16-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Natha

I've already talked to both Bill and Steve @ GPA, seems that there's few qualified recone shops left in the Nashville area. I have a guy @ Clair that can do the work, but the shop there is backed up for months, and I have one other guy, but he's charging more than double the labor rate of GPA. At least I can avoid shipping. Just trying to see if there's anyone else in the area before I jump on it...
    Just ship it to him! (GPA) Last time I did, 3 days later they were sitting in my office, I hadnt even paid him yet!

Russellc

OK... Anybody have thoughts on properly boxing these things up? They are BEASTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Herki
    For now...Best to check with Earl K for a suitable adhesive.
    Thanks for the kind words H.T.C. / but / I'm not a reconer .

I take my cues from the reconers who have posted here at LHF & over at AudioKarma .

Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob
    OK... Anybody have thoughts on properly boxing these things up? They are BEASTS!
    - GPA has detailed packaging instructions on their website .

- If the horn of your duplexes sticks out past the rim of the woofer / explore the possibility of removing it before shipping .
    - This will simplify things / since you should protect the cone by affixing/skinning thin plywood over it ( attached to the woofers' rim ) .

<> cheers

General Information:( from GPA )

*How To Pack Your Speaker For Shipping To Us

* Payment Instructions

Reconing

Hi Bobby:
    I just joined this forum because I have a set of L71 and was interested in finding others with a set of them.
    I also have a set of L166 s that need refoaming.I found a place here in town,Jam's audio that will refoam mine .Their number is 615-383-5267.Ask for Sam Stafford.I don't know if he does reconing but its worth a call.
    Tom

Hi gang!

Was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable recone shop near Nashville, TN? I have a set of ALtec 604-8H's from my UREI 813's that I need to have reconed, and really prefer to avoid shipping them if possible. I haven't had any luck finding a place than can source the parts... Ideas? I guess I could buy the parts from Great Plains if necessary, but I still need to find a reliable shop nearby.

Thanks!
    Bobby

Shipping 604's to GPA

[quote=Earl K;279293]
    - If the horn of your duplexes sticks out past the rim of the woofer / explore the possibility of removing it before shipping .
    - This will simplify things / since you should protect the cone by affixing/skinning thin plywood over it ( attached to the woofers' rim ) .
    *How To Pack Your Speaker For Shipping To Us [quote/]

Wy..Ah..Err...Pardonne Moi...Don't mean to barge in, nor to be impolite, but I am looking at a couple of original Altec 604 shipping boxes been on the shelf over my computer since 1960's, which i have reused a couple of times already. Each model of 604 shipping carton has its own special internal features.

I believe Altec's "604 factory shipping carton" design implements technology equivalent to "Earl K's important recomendation: [quote Earl K]="after removing the 604 horn, to ship separetly, you should protect the 604 cone by affixing/skinning thin plywood over it ( attached to the woofers' rim" [quote/].

Altec's 604 shipping cartons are skilfully engineered featuring special wood frames, top & bottom, cushioned internally, designed to nest, and protect the high frequency driver at the top of the carton & the horn at the opposite end. 604 is very heavy, delicate and vulnerable to shipping facilities dropping boxes four feet to the concrete floor __which will de-magnetise the speaker motors__ also, there can be other accidents like poking boxes with fork lifts etc....I have been there,....you would not believe what happens to 32 pound JBL 2440's in transit.

I urge you to have GPA send you a couple of original Altec/GPA 604 boxes suitable for your particular 604's. This is a very good investment you will enjoy, over & over
    cheers, herki the cat
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the kind words H.T.C. / but / I'm not a reconer .

I take my cues from the reconers who have posted here at LHF & over at AudioKarma .

<> cheers

*How To Pack Your Speaker For Shipping To Us

* Payment Instructions
    Last edited by herki the cat; 02-17-2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Natha

Thread Information