Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it that pre 1970 speakers so prized today ?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Nah, they'll be snapping at each other for another page or 2 -
    I don't think they have the critical mass of the old days
    so it won't tear down through another 6 pages
    like the old rant and rip sessions did ... (thank goodness!)
    thats why I purposely lead the thread OT....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    FWIW - I liked the old suede sheep with red neon eyes
    better than the newer black sheep at midnight avatar ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

elegant move!

Quote Originally Posted by heather
    better than the newer black sheep at midnight avatar ...
    and i wanna add that the signation would slightly improve if you make the "sheep" a "wet sheep", or make at least the clothing of the sheep wet, so it fits the seaWolf better.
    you gotta be realistic.

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    elegant move!
    not bad for an average guy ?

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    and i wanna add that the signation would slightly improve if you make the "sheep" a "wet sheep", or make at least the clothing of the sheep wet, so it fits the seaWolf better.
    you gotta be realistic.
    I'll look for a wet filter ( wow, how much further OT can we go ??) ...but, this winter I'm staying pretty dry in GorTex , so it only beads on me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

back then the TV was more a monitor for the VCR so I could control what was watched....lots of "Gumby & Pokey" and "Yellow Submarine" , even as grownups they still appreciate those. I do too.

prolly made my kids weird (non-average)
    Back than as you put it was the golden age of television. Not the over sexed , poor dialogue , sitcoms passing for comedy we have today.
    Entertainers were seasoned veterans , coming from radio , screen , stage and vaudeville .
    There was no need to monitor your television. The music was well written
    by great composers , scripts well done. Jack Benny for example had 25 writers. Today comedians are lucky to have one !

Sinatra , Mathis , Day , crosby , Cole , Streisand etc. sang with orchestras. lyrics were well done by lyricist such as Johnny Mercer
    Hart and others.

In that background the engineers from many audio comapies that themselves loved music created outstanding audio equipment. Listenable equipment. Today well as you posted , monitor your children as to what they watch and listen to. Times have changed !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Back than as you put it was the golden age of television. Not the over sexed , poor dialogue , sitcoms passing for comedy we have today.
    Entertainers were seasoned veterans , coming from radio , screen , stage and vaudeville .
    by great composers , scripts well done. Jack Benny for example had 25 writers. Today comedians are lucky to have one !

Sinatra , Mathis , Day , crosby , Cole , Streisand etc. sang with orchestras. lyrics were well done by lyricist such as Johnny Mercer
    Hart and others.

In that background the engineers from many audio comapies that themselves loved music created outstanding audio equipment. Listenable equipment. Today well as you posted , monitor your children as to what they watch and listen to. Times have changed !!!!
    Tell me something WHAT do you like?

I mean I have read your posts, even in The BEST JBL EVER thread, you slag todays music, and to some extent, YEAH it is different than what you or I grew up on. BUT still, there is good music around, just it is different. And what about when Rock & Roll was OH SO NEW? How many people slagged this as NOISE! That DAYUM Electric GEETAR!

But, you don't seem to like anything! The world has changed in 50 years, DRAMATICALLY! I, myself, don't always agree with everything today, but, guess what? It will happen anyway!

The Rolling Stones! They sang a song, about this very thing. "What a drag it is, GETTING OLD"

And, Wolf, not to mention it, BUT you are online! This means your using a computer, and that means your using TODAYS technology to be heard. Because, umm, well, you know, they just didn't have these newfangled darn gadget thingies, back in the GOOD 'OL DAYS your talking about!

Today must not be all that bad!
    scottyj

Hart and others.

Mebbe you missed the post with my kids ages..they were born in '71 & '81 ....hardly the "Golden Age of TV" .....more of the "Sonny & Cher" , "Donnie & Marie" and "Starsky & Hutch" age ...there was a lot of TV crap in those days too ....dont romanticize it too much .

Better life lessons were learned from Gumby on VHS.

Got a thang for Sinatra ?

__________________________________________________ ________________

My Dad , who was a "Who's Who in America" psychologist, liked to relate the quip that the oldest written record of man -the Dead Sea scrolls- on page 1 , para 1 , starts out
    "Oh woe is me , for the good ole days are gone, never to return"

Maron Horonzakz
    May I step in??? No the music today is not bad,,Remember you dont need to go to college to compose or wright music,,, Paul McCartney wanted to compose a Symphony,,He had to hier a Editor and arranger to fill in the details,, There is a band called "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, I like, and I was suprised at all the instriments besides a guitar they used. And of all things they wore suits. Yes music is now different but not bad.

Quote: Example what popular singer today compares with Frank Sinatra ? or dancer with Fred Astaire ?
    Excellence can be had today but at a very high price. A Rolex Dayjust in 1963 sold for $150.00 today $6500.00.

Well, as far as singers go, I can think of many that are at least as good as what Frankie was....Harry Connick Jr, Michaek Buble, Matt Dusk, Julio Iglesias, Kurt Elling, George Benson.

I think for some reason we don't want to think that something newer can be better than the "Classics" because somehow it may take away from their uniqueness or how we remember them.

But it is man's quest to be better AND do better in our undertakings.

Take the L-100 speaker, probably the most recognizable speaker ever made, how does it sound ? And by today's standards ?

Well, I can think of dozen's that smoke it for sonic quality and tonal balance at or around $500.00 in today's dollars. What did they sell for in the 70's ?

But yet these speakers garner a good buck in the used market, why ? Who knows for sure.

How many of today's compression drivers (even non-JBL) would sound better than the venerable 375 ? And for a sh*tload less cash, even at the 375's 1960 price !

Your Rolex in 1963 was made by people that were earning less than $2.00 an hour, keep that in mind as well.
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Sinatra , Mathis , Day , crosby , Cole , Streisand etc. sang with orchestras. lyrics were well done by lyricist such as Johnny Mercer Hart and others.
    ...and you don't think the classically trained musicians gagged at the sentimental dribble they were sometimes asked to play?

Life is a cycle not a linear continuum. There is good and bad in every generation, but the warm glowy filter of nostalgia certainly makes yesteryear appealing... kids today are dusting off turntables, wearing headphones, and clothes that look a lot like the stuff we wore years ago. I thought the '70s with all of those dark stained pine waterbeds and walnut vinyl covered everything was a pretty terrible thing that could never be fondly remembered... the '60s were filled with anger and contempt... the "Happy Days" weren't really so happy for so many...

Today with all of it's problems is a pretty damned good time to be alive and what's more, it's all we've got so go out and embrace it!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...and you don't think the classically trained musicians gagged at the sentimental dribble they were sometimes asked to play?

Life is a cycle not a linear continuum. There is good and bad in every generation, but the warm glowy filter of nostalgia certainly makes yesteryear appealing... kids today are dusting off turntables, wearing headphones, and clothes that look a lot like the stuff we wore years ago. I thought the '70s with all of those dark stained pine waterbeds and walnut vinyl covered everything was a pretty terrible thing that could never be fondly remembered... the '60s were filled with anger and contempt... the "Happy Days" weren't really so happy for so many...

Today with all of it's problems is a pretty damned good time to be alive and what's more, it's all we've got so go out and embrace it!

Widget
    Mr. Widget,

Your comments are spot on the money, Sir! Well said, and absolutely true. Sweet Bride and I are very happy to be alive today, and though there are certainly some things about how people treat each other today, that seem wrong to us, we know that there were people "back on the day" who did the same, or worse, things to their fellow man!

If I could pick out one thing that really does seem to be missing, overall, from today's existance, that was, more of less, the way to do business "back in the day", it is that today a man's word doesn't seem to count for too much, and the phrase "a man's word is his bond" is virtually unheard of by many today. Not to say that there aren't honest, generous, kind, and caring people around. Just look at many of our LH members, and you will find a ton of them!! But, many people today don't seem to honor their given word as often as they did "back in the day", in daily person to person contact. Just my opinion.....

Again, thank you for your wise words concerning "the old days". Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    This I agree with wholeheartedly.

The way I view things now, is that "WE" are currently experiencing "THE GOLDEN ERA" of digital. I say this, because right now, everything is being invented, and perfected, etc. VERY MUCH like "THE GOLDEN AGE OF HiFi", or TELEVISION.

And, besides the music and speaker technologies of today being good sounding, albeit, different somewhat than what we once had, IT is FUN to use!

Now, from yet another perspective, I have a business that music, TODAYS music, is an integral component! And the young people today want to hear TODAYS music, and IF you try to tell them what it was and what it SHOULD be? They will look at you, the same way WE looked at our parents when they said these same things to us! Then they laugh, and continue doing or listening to, what they like.

Vocals! There are GOOD vocals today. Yes, the music styles and recording technologies are different, but, vocal emotion still shines through in a GOOD digital recording.

Two vocals worth hearing?

1. What Happened To Us- The Jinks Feat. Carla Prather, Bargrooves Over Ice, available at Beatport.com

2. Hey Hey-Dennis Ferrer, also available at beatport.com.

And these are HUMAN vocals, combined with todays music sounds and electronic instruments and TODAYS recording technology! You can play this music through Hartsfields, L100,s, Todays Revel, or modern JBL, or B & W, or just thru an iPod.

But, regardless of what I hear it through, I LIKE THIS MUSIC! I like hearing it through the BETTER setups, of course, but, even through lesser systems, the emotion comes through.

BTW, Dennis Ferrer was nominated for a grammy, and just as has always been the case, todays unknown is tomorrows history!
    scottyj

And, from my fathers point of view, as he is 73, and I spoke with him last evening, HIS BIG LED HI DEF FLATSCREEN TV of TODAY, kicks the shit out of the "DuMont" TV they used to go downstairs to the neighbors apt on Tuesday, to watch Milton Berle on.
    scottyj

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LE15-Thumper View Post
    Quote: Example what popular singer today compares with Frank Sinatra ? or dancer with Fred Astaire ?
    Excellence can be had today but at a very high price. A Rolex Dayjust in 1963 sold for $150.00 today $6500.00.

Well, as far as singers go, I can think of many that are at least as good as what Frankie was....Harry Connick Jr, Michaek Buble, Matt Dusk, Julio Iglesias, Kurt Elling, George Benson.

I think for some reason we don't want to think that something newer can be better than the "Classics" because somehow it may take away from their uniqueness or how we remember them.

But it is man's quest to be better AND do better in our undertakings.

Take the L-100 speaker, probably the most recognizable speaker ever made, how does it sound ? And by today's standards ?

Well, I can think of dozen's that smoke it for sonic quality and tonal balance at or around $500.00 in today's dollars. What did they sell for in the 70's ?

But yet these speakers garner a good buck in the used market, why ? Who knows for sure.

How many of today's compression drivers (even non-JBL) would sound better than the venerable 375 ? And for a sh*tload less cash, even at the 375's 1960 price !

Your Rolex in 1963 was made by people that were earning less than $2.00 an hour, keep that in mind as well.
    Read some of the reviews regarding the JBL L-100 , they exaggerate the upper mid-range frequencies , , great presence , west coast sound etc. the JBL L-200 was considered much better.

Question , how does something become a classic ? The singers you listed I would be surprised if they ever achieved the staus of classic.

In 1963 Swiss workers earned more than $2.00 per hour. They earned more than American workers.
    Finally one can buy audio that is better than what was produced pre 1970's but at a great price. Example one can buy a Hickey Freeman suit today that cost $250.00 in 1967 today $1800,00 , not many people today buy Hickey Freeman suits, they did in the 1970's.

Read some of the reviews regarding the JBL L-100 , they exaggerate the upper mid-range frequencies , , great presence , west coast sound etc. the JBL L-200 was considered much better.

Question , how does something become a classic ? The singers you listed I would be surprised if they ever achieved the staus of classic.

In 1963 Swiss workers earned more than $2.00 per hour. They earned more than American workers.
    Finally one can buy audio that is better than what was produced pre 1970's but at a great price. Example one can buy a Hickey Freeman suit today that cost $250.00 in 1967 today $1800,00 , not many people today buy Hickey Freeman suits, they did in the 1970's.
    Dianne Krall is destined to achieve CLASSIC status. And she hails from TODAY, not yesterday.

As I was told, and have watched on re-runs of the old TV programs, Elvis was NOT all that well received by parents, especially with those gyrating hips and all. He is beyond CLASSIC and has reached CULT status. The Beatles with their long hair and twangy guitars, the same thing.

How can you predict what will NOT be classic because you don't see it or hear it?

Your right, we don't wear Hickey Freemans like we once did! Now we wear Zegna, and other European designer wear.
    scottyj

Thread Information