Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it that pre 1970 speakers so prized today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Before i retired the last few recordings for the St Louis Philharmonic,,
    Did you ever record their Sunday Afternoon concert series back in the '60s? I have particular affection for one my grandmother took me too where the "guest soloist" was B.B. King. For decades I've longed to hear that string section as it came in right after B.B. sang "The thrill is gone.." zoom, zoom...

A "thrill" I've never been able to recreate in any King recording I've heard since. We all want to recreate that true live sound. I wonder if any recording can match the memory of being there?

And then there's the memory of a revered woman sharing that experience with me. She, too, was a one-of-a-kind. You don't often hear names like those from the old days anymore. Alvera was as unique as her name.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Maron Horonzakz
    a friend of mine (passed away) Hung around with Paul Klipsch,,A real stickler for accurate fidelity,, He would be shocked at what is happening today,,,I too look over my shoulder at the dark shadows creeping in,,,But i cant let loose of the new technoligy coming in,,,JBL is still in the forefront on High tech speaker design,,HF Drivers in the Everest II ,,, plus the expense in that woofer amazes me,,Pushing the envelope,, We,v come along way since Edison,,

SEAWOLF ,,, Your spelling is shit too.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Please show examples, otherwise......STFU
    Sea Wolf.. If i can read your english.. I can under stand you..
    unsubstantiated statements suit you well.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

a friend of mine (passed away) Hung around with Paul Klipsch,,A real stickler for accurate fidelity,, He would be shocked at what is happening today,,,I too look over my sholder at the dark shadows creeping in,,,But i cant let loose of the new technoligy coming in,,,JBL is still in the forefront on High tech speaker design,,HF Drivers in the Everest II ,,, plus the expense in that woofer amazes me,,Pushing the envelope,, We,v come along way since Edison,,
    And you know what? I agree, JBL is still very much at the forefront of things. To my ears, when it comes to 18,s, compression drivers and things, I still prefer JBL to others, as they still have the JBL sound. JBL 2in compression drivers have that dynamic snap, yet smoothness in the HF, that I like.

To me, a 2450J, is today, as the 2441 was back then. Then I hear other systems using other brands, I don't know! Missing this, too much of that! JBL is still JBL, and MODERN JBL works with todays music, SPECTACULARLY WELL.

I know my application is somewhat different than most others here, and is pro, however, it is still relevant, as WHAT I am doing now, will not work nearly as well, with my older, original speakers, even though I do still use some of my older HF drivers. But yesterdays woofers, are NOT always up to the demands I have today. And, the ease at which my system does this is JAWDROPPING!
    scottyj

OH MY GOD, LISA!!!

They're still at it!!!!!

I am SO glad I still stayed out of this one!!!!!!!

ScottyK.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Maron Horonzakz
    SMKS,,,Go to bed

Maron Horonzakz
    ssssssssssEAwolf.... Watch it

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    OH MY GOD, LISA!!!

They're still at it!!!!!

I am SO glad I still stayed out of this one!!!!!!!

ScottyK.
    CRITICAL MASS!

We still have it, and we are talking audio, and we got more stamina than 4 athletic 20 year olds when it comes to JBL Audio!

12 pages and still climbing!

scottyj

Maron Horonzakz
    BMW,,, I came into the recording frey at the Symphony,,in 1970,,, Bob Shaw and Roy were at the helm before that,,, Politics at that time were to find more money for the orchestra,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    And there it is.
    Just like the Emporer Joseph in the movie Amadeus? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I don't get it: Everything you say in this thread is off-topic from your subject. And yet you blather on about how others are off-topic? URNUTZ!

And why blame the ills of the music world on the iPod? That's like blaming your turntable for a poor LP pressing. The iPod is an amazing music reproduction tool that, when loaded with material transferred at the correct rate (loss-less), reproduces music with fidelity equal to many bulky systems today. Try hooking one up through your amp and speakers. You might be surprised!

Other than that, I'm going to make a wild guess that you and Maron are actually one-and-the-same person.
    The topic is music and audio. Not his analysis of my spelling , also if he doesn't wish to discuss the topic than move onto another topic. There are many different topics on this website.

As for as Ipod's ,turntables did not produce music, turntables turned the
    Lp on it's platter. Ipod's are a musical source. In the old days a system was only as good as it's weakest link. The Ipod is a weak link in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    As for as Ipod's ,turntables did not produce music, turntables turned the
    Lp on it's platter. Ipod's are a musical source. In the old days a system was only as good as it's weakest link. The Ipod is a weak link in my opinion.
    You lost me on that one...what's your logic for that statement? The turntable does its best to reproduce what's spinning on the platter (via tone arm/cartridge/stylus/etc., plus the phono preamp later in the chain), and the iPod (or another brand of player) converts the digital file inside into an analog output. There are actually far more variables I can think of that would make a turntable play a perfectly good record poorly than there are ways for an iPod to play a perfectly good digital file poorly.

If both turntable and iPod are functioning correctly, your result is as good as your input- a good-sounding recording will sound good. And, it's far cheaper and much easier to get an iPod to play a recording cleanly than it is to buy & set up a turntable.

je

Ranking in audio quality on my system all using the best source material possible:

1. Linn LP12/Lingo/Ittok LVIII/Shure V15 Type VMR/NYAL Upgraded/Modified Super It

2. Linn Unidisk SC

3. ipod

The ipod doesn't come even close...but then neither does its price!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    You lost me on that one...what's your logic for that statement? The turntable does its best to reproduce what's spinning on the platter (via tone arm/cartridge/stylus/etc., plus the phono preamp later in the chain), and the iPod (or another brand of player) converts the digital file inside into an analog output. There are actually far more variables I can think of that would make a turntable play a perfectly good record poorly than there are ways for an iPod to play a perfectly good digital file poorly.

If both turntable and iPod are functioning correctly, your result is as good as your input- a good-sounding recording will sound good. And, it's far cheaper and much easier to get an iPod to play a recording cleanly than it is to buy & set up a turntable.

je
    An Ipod is a musical source , Example a FM tuner recieves the signal from a source. it than relays that signal to the preamp. The better the tuner the better the signal received , in this case audio. An Ipod does the same.

The Marantz tuner was considered to be the finest FM tuner ever built.
    No one knew the reason why but the Marantz had a beautiful sound.
    There were other tuners that came close , Fisher , Scott , McIntosh , Harmon Kardon but none could match the Marantz 10B FM tuner.

For XM broadcast I use a Polk receiver in my main system. I also have a
    Marantz 10B FM tuner. The Polk receiver sounds much better producing XM
    music than either my Ipod or my Iphone. The Polk listed for about $300.00. Was a top of the line XM receiver , it received many rave reviews.
    The Marantz 10B sold for about $750.00 more than 40 years ago !

Turntables if one is playing an LP does have an effect on the music as well. To be able to hear that difference one generally must have an excellent audio system. Having owned several high end turntables I can
    honestly say I could not hear the difference in tables.

Cartridges , yes , sometimes tonearms . Unless poorly made a good turntable is silent when turning a LP.

Again today we are confortable with poor quality , look at our dress , generally our musical taste.
    Why would one spend thousands of dollars for an audio system and than insert a $50.00 Ipod ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
    Ranking in audio quality on my system all using the best source material possible:

1. Linn LP12/Lingo/Ittok LVIII/Shure V15 Type VMR/NYAL Upgraded/Modified Super It

2. Linn Unidisk SC

3. ipod

The ipod doesn't come even close...but then neither does its price!!!
    Price is very important when assembling an audio system. There are links.
    Each link is generally of equal importance.
    Cars are generally used when comparing audio gear. An example , would you buy a Porsche Carrera and expect Porsche to save money on the transmission ? Would you put inexpensive tires on your Porsche to save money. Than why include a cheap Ipod with your excellent audio system ?

Thread Information