Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Why is it that pre 1970 speakers so prized today ?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    A very good point ! The sound is different not necessarily better.

I was involved in these debates for years. West coast vs east coast sound. I listen to Sinatra not Eddie Kendricts. Never heard of Eddie Kendricks.

you are right hearing them cheer. When Sinatra performs people sit back and listen. The same as when one is listening to a symphony.
    Jumping up and down while listening to music is foreign to me.

I wonder will the music performed by Mr. Kendricks last ? I have a histroy book of Rock and Roll. Most of the songs of that era is forgotten.
    Most artist forgotten. I wonder will people still be listening to the music
    and Eddis Kendricks performances 20 years from now !

Much like the Paragons and Hartsfields , they have been around a very long time and still comand handsome prices ! owning them is like money in the bank , gold not dollars.
    Then I will tell you I think WAV doers sound better than MP3.

Hearing them cheer, dancing, having fun, ME having fun, isn't that what a good outing is supposed to be? Like you, I am entitled to like what I do, although might be different from what you like or even know.

Truthfully, except for a few songs, I don't care for Sinatra all that much, sure, FLY ME TO THE MOON, and NEW YORK, NEW YORK I like, but after these, or before, as the case may be, it isn't my music. Not saying bad or good, just not me.

OTOH, Duke Ellington, and Louis Armstrong I like MUCH more.

R & B of the 70,s forgotten? I don't think so, at all. Quite possible you don't know this music, or it just isn't you, and that is fine, you don't have to like what I like. But Barry White, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, Teddy Pendergrass, Lou Rawls, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Eddie Kendricks, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, will NEVER be forgotten. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Paragons and Hartsfields like money in the bank, GOLD NOT DOLLARS! Hmm, still haven't gotten over Nixon taking us off the Gold Standard, have you?

Everything you say is predicated and based on a monetary value, and IMO NOT the value of the music itself. Leads me to believe you can't enjoy something if it doesn't cost at least a certain amount!

You drive a BMW 12 cylinder! Great, I am happy you have the things you want. You seem to base your own self worth by the financial value of the "THINGS" you have!

However, at the end of the day, these things, regardless of what they cost or are worth, are just material objects. They neither make you a better, nor lesser person. The more you TELL us HOW MUCH you have, and HOW MUCH it's worth, the more I begin to think what a sad individual you might be, maybe even a lonely individual at that!

Because in truth, since this thread began, this really is ALL you speak about.

I have not once stated what my systems cost or worth is, or may be! And I use MY system to make people happy, as well as earn a living. Yes, my bumper cars are not $100.00 a ride, so therefore, it is affordable. You may have more than I financially, but I get much enjoyment, entertaining people and seeing them happy.

There is more to it than JUST money!

Tell me Wolf, when you go to sleep at night, can your Hartsfields, or you BMW V12 snuggle with you, love you, and comfort you?
    scottyj

Wolf, this thread has covered a WIDE swath of topics, besides pre 70,s speakers. I feel that today, at page 19, it has run the gamut of whatever it has to offer, which to most, probably isn't much!

Anyway, It is your turn to post, and that will be the last post, as I am closing the thread after you do.

I, too, am a gentleman, and therefore, you get to have the last say in this tale!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Then I will tell you I think WAV doers sound better than MP3.

Hearing them cheer, dancing, having fun, ME having fun, isn't that what a good outing is supposed to be? Like you, I am entitled to like what I do, although might be different from what you like or even know.

Truthfully, except for a few songs, I don't care for Sinatra all that much, sure, FLY ME TO THE MOON, and NEW YORK, NEW YORK I like, but after these, or before, as the case may be, it isn't my music. Not saying bad or good, just not me.

OTOH, Duke Ellington, and Louis Armstrong I like MUCH more.

R & B of the 70,s forgotten? I don't think so, at all. Quite possible you don't know this music, or it just isn't you, and that is fine, you don't have to like what I like. But Barry White, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, Teddy Pendergrass, Lou Rawls, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Eddie Kendricks, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, will NEVER be forgotten. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Paragons and Hartsfields like money in the bank, GOLD NOT DOLLARS! Hmm, still haven't gotten over Nixon taking us off the Gold Standard, have you?

Everything you say is predicated and based on a monetary value, and IMO NOT the value of the music itself. Leads me to believe you can't enjoy something if it doesn't cost at least a certain amount!

You drive a BMW 12 cylinder! Great, I am happy you have the things you want. You seem to base your own self worth by the financial value of the "THINGS" you have!

However, at the end of the day, these things, regardless of what they cost or are worth, are just material objects. They neither make you a better, nor lesser person. The more you TELL us HOW MUCH you have, and HOW MUCH it's worth, the more I begin to think what a sad individual you might be, maybe even a lonely individual at that!

Because in truth, since this thread began, this really is ALL you speak about.

I have not once stated what my systems cost or worth is, or may be! And I use MY system to make people happy, as well as earn a living. Yes, my bumper cars are not $100.00 a ride, so therefore, it is affordable. You may have more than I financially, but I get much enjoyment, entertaining people and seeing them happy.

There is more to it than JUST money!

Tell me Wolf, when you go to sleep at night, can your Hartsfields, or you BMW V12 snuggle with you, love you, and comfort you?
    Nixon removing American from the gold standard ? Nixon was President in 1933 ? Fun much like happiness is subjective.

Audio like everything we do today cost money. In our system we are judged by our worth , whether you agree or not.
    Again I don't need nor have I requested your analysis of me. I support
    my positions with my experiences.

The artist you listed in no way can compare with Frank Sinatra in accomplishments. Would anyone compare Barry White to Frank Sinatra , Nat King Cole , or Bing Crosby ? Again we differ.

Duke Ellington was an excellent composer , arranger. Sinatra performed many of his compositions. I don't think the artists you listed did.
    Armstrong on the other hand did a number of Broadway recordings "Hello
    Dolly " was a big hit for Amstrong. What recordings did Eddis Kendricks
    record by the greats of American music , such as Gershwin , Porter ,
    Berlin , or lyricist such as Johnny Mercer ? Arrangers such as Riddle or Mancini ?

I will at a furure date space allowed list the number of R&B artist long forgotten.

I grew up in a generation in which we listen to performers , the melody,
    the lyrics , and in many cases the arrangments by the orchestra.
    Frank Sinatra for example did not overnight become a recording star he paid his dues , spendingg many years singing with bands learning his craft.
    A recording contract was very hard to get than.

Today well times have changed haven't they.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I will at a furure date space allowed list the number of R&B artist long forgotten.
    We have a wide range of topics on this discussion board. Please post your music related posts in the proper area and audio and equipment posts in their appropriate areas. I will set up your account to access our Off Topic Area, where you can post away about men's clothing and cars... as for politics, that topic is not allowed. We have tried numerous times and it inevitably becomes too heated.

Since this thread has been far from it's original topic for many many posts as Scott Has mentioned it doesn't need to continue rambling on and on.

Widget

Thread Information