Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This guy talks like one of us !

This guy talks like one of us !

Folks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3_iOHHQvPg

The designer of Funktion one talks simple sense about pro audio !
    IMHO

Rich

Yeah, I read a white paper or some paper of his a year or so ago and felt compelled to email him about it, he answered back! Seems like a very down to earth guy.

There are still a couple of fish out there with ears that are still willing to swim against the current.

Now to check out your link.

Cheers.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

JBL 4645
    Not sure if this is the (white paper) I’m reading myself.
    “REALITY? OR SOFT FOCUS?”
    http://www.funktion-one.com/dl/files/1819.pdf

Yeah that's the one.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Nice one Rich,
    I've been a Funktion1/Tony Andrews fan for many years-he talks a ton of sense.
    Cooky

Nope not like me at all

I have a Scottish accent

Rubbish, its just an act so you can wear a skirt with no knickers and not get beaten up

Skirt raising questions aside...

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    The designer of Funktion one talks simple sense about pro audio !
    IMHO
    I think there is a growing trend here...

Robert Margouleff, the Keynote speaker at the AES convention which will be held here in SF next month will be giving a speech entitled, “What The Hell Happened?”

I think that pretty well sums it up.

Widget

Looks like a lot of Fane drivers in his gear. I could well be wrong. Fane do custom OEM in any case so no bad thing.

On music of course he is absolutely right , when you consider that you can get 20Gig of storage in a dongle there is no excuse for the music industry any more.
    If you are interested do a bit of research into the DBX 700Khz system proposed in 1982 ish.
    To roughly quote Barry Fox writing for HFNRR at the time ' it is regrettable that what should be the digital audio format for the forseeable future will be sidelined in favour of commercial expediency'
    referring to the Philips / Sony deal that railroaded the CD system onto the market. If my memory serves DBX offerred free lisencing to interested parties !!
    AsI have said before this was 82/83 is ie 27 years ago and the format has not changed since in fact if you take MP3 into the equation it has gone backwards. I cannot think of anything in the digital domain that has not progressed in leaps and bounds in the intervening period.
    Anyone who has had the experience of being in a recording studio and hearing 30 ips analog will know what is available if the record distribution people elected to grasp the nettle.
    Perhaps with internet music publishing starting to flourish the market might just with a bit of luck encourage FLAC or 196 versions.
    I would gladly pay full CD price for a full quality download , Good business there for someone. I notice Linn are doing just this.

MY sabbath rant

link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx_Mod...udio_Processor
    Last edited by macaroonie; 10-10-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: addenda

Sound ruined by compression

Many sound engineers use compressors / limiters to "tighten" the sound. The result is LOUD sound without any dynamics.

I do not think that high quality digital audio components can be blamed for bad results.

The good side of my audio gear is that one can tell whether a recording is good or bad.

And the bad side is: one can tell whether a recording is good or bad.

Yes, the better a sound system is the shittier an MP3 will sound.

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    Many sound engineers use compressors / limiters to "tighten" the sound. The result is LOUD sound without any dynamics.

I do not think that high quality digital audio components can be blamed for bad results.

The good side of my audio gear is that one can tell whether a recording is good or bad.

And the bad side is: one can tell whether a recording is good or bad.

Yes, the better a sound system is the shittier an MP3 will sound.

Ruediger
    Agreed , but I feel that the fundamental flaw is in the front end sample rate , 44.1 KHz or even 96 is nowhere near high enough. The audible effects of this can most clearly be heard on female vocal if you a/b analogue v digital of the same singer

MP3 Player to blame !

Seems to me the market is driven by the pocket media players .... I'm not an expert in this field ,but I don't need to be to understand the forces at work here ... I can get my entire music collection in my pocket at 128 , I couldn't in a lossless format ...

Ruedigar has the same problem as me , the better my equipment the smaller my music collection becomes .

Perhaps someone can explain to me why TV audio signal sounds bloody amazing compared to my CD player ? What type of signal is it ?

Sometimes I listen to music and kick myself for wasting all that money on shit , get sick of it and turn the TV on, only to find my ears are happy again WTF

uF

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Seems to me the market is driven by the pocket media players .... I'm not an expert in this field ,but I don't need to be to understand the forces at work here ... I can get my entire music collection in my pocket at 128 , I couldn't in a lossless format ...

Ruedigar has the same problem as me , the better my equipment the smaller my music collection becomes .

Perhaps someone can explain to me why TV audio signal sounds bloody amazing compared to my CD player ? What type of signal is it ?

Sometimes I listen to music and kick myself for wasting all that money on shit , get sick of it and turn the TV on, only to find my ears are happy again WTF

uF
    TV uses compression! Play the same film/DVD when its aired and listen! Its there because TV speakers have limited frequency response often at 100Hz, but the sound mix still extends down to 20Hz or below on some films like “Lord of the Rings return of the King” that was aired around summertime. I didn’t have to play the DVD as I’ve played it many times before. Once a commercial comes on the db level goes up by around +6 or +8db maybe +10db and then you reach for the volume control because they want to shove the add in your face or down your ears!

I’m really fast when it comes to adds as soon as the picture fades to black, I’ve turned it down at least -10db.

Rich, does you're TV have DolbyVolume or SRS MyVolueme is that why it sounds good. Do you play the audio output into the amplifier because it will sound even more amazing on the JBL. I don’t use my TV speakers only the JBL gets used 100%.

And besides I don’t really watch TV broadcasts its only when the aerial engineer fitted the new aerial, I tested it for one night, but I can’t be asked to watch the mega unbelievable tribe on TV. If friends come over, they can go home and watch Eastenders or the depressing soaps! TV aerial is discounted here!

Only CD/laserdisc/DVD or rarely played bluray is played here! I don’t want to know, what is current in the news. I don’t care for! I don’t even bother listening to ClassicFM on the radio anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    TV uses compression! Play the same film/DVD when its aired and listen! Its there because TV speakers have limited frequency response often at 100Hz, but the sound mix still extends down to 20Hz or below on some films like “Lord of the Rings return of the King” that was aired around summertime. I didn’t have to play the DVD as I’ve played it many times before. Once a commercial comes on the db level goes up by around +6 or +8db maybe +10db and then you reach for the volume control because they want to shove the add in your face or down your ears!

I’m really fast when it comes to adds as soon as the picture fades to black, I’ve turned it down at least -10db.
    But, of course, you NEVER listen to broadcast TV, so you never have to pay the TV tax, right? Or is that only for the BBC?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Rich, 14bit NICAM on bog standard digital.
    HD channels have to conform to Dolby digital levels and so doesn't suffer the over saturated/compressed ad break sound issue.

Thread Information