Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4344's Up and running

4344's Up and running

Finally got them up today. Been listening to them all afternoon. They were well worth the time to build. Really smooth and dynamic I can see why you don't see them for sale that often. Get in the sweet spot and they image real well, better than I thought they would. I always figured the lenses would mess things up but they seem to be OK. Those are Ians crossovers up top. Thanks again bud! Still have to get them squared away indside. They are biamped with a JBL M552 24DB L/R at about 300hz. Amps are 2 Crown 150 series 2 strapped so 300 watts for the 2235's and a PS-200 on top so about 100 watts for the rest.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Rob

Looks good bud...

Enjoy!

Ken

Nicely presented Robert,

You could always mount the crossovers on the back?

Ian

Obsolete

Re: 4344's Up and running

Outstanding!

I especially like the mini serpentines

RIP 2009
    Are those the same size as factory 4344s? 'Looks like you need some of Bo's JBL Blue. 'Looking good!

John

Re: 4344's Up and running

Originally posted by Robh3606
    Those are Ians crossovers up top.
    Superb, Rob...

Ian actually offered to leave those hear (sic), since we were outa time during his visit to work with them. I declined, knowing they were intended for points east. Glad to know they're as good as can be. I'm still hopin' for the oft-promised Ver. 2.0 - the wait is holding-up my swapping-in some brand spankin' new 2245H's.

Oh, and I've got that tin of JBL Bleu packed and ready to ship - pm me the particulars, if you're interested.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I recall Robert plans to stick with the black baffles to suit the decor in his JBL bunker.

He is one lucky guy, the 4344, 2344 4 way bi radial and diy XP and they all sound very nice....well done Robert.

Ian

Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I recall Robert plans to stick with the black baffles to suit the decor in his JBL bunker.
    Doh!

That's what grill cloths are for...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Wow, Nice!

Regis

Beauties!

Those speakers are very, very nice. I like! The color is fine. No use chasing after the fabled JBL blue, as cool as it looks. BTW, anyone ever notice how close that shade of blue is to Ford's Grabber Blue from 1970? Some of the Mach 1's, Boss 302's and Boss 429's came in that particular color and it just oozes power!

WoW

Congratulations Rob!

Thanks guys!

Well would you beleive I finally get them going and one of the reconned 2235's has a low level buzz after a few hours!! So out it comes and back to the reconner. Damn! The cabinets are not stock size they are about 4 inches narrower and the tunned box size is 5 cu ft. Bo about the blue I will PM you. Never know what the future will hold so I figure it can't hurt to have some available.
    Those will stay black and I like my drivers in the buff
    I will have to wait till I get the woofer back to really set them up right.

Rob

Hello Rob, have you compared lens serpentine with 2344 for the new system ?

Hello Herve

Well this is preliminary as I have not had enough time listenning to them yet. I really need to get the 4344's set up better. Both set-ups are running as flat I can get them. Looking on axis on the RTA they measure the same except for the expected roll off using the 2344. The 4344 could be dialed right in thanks to Ian's excellent crossovers and Giskards multitap inductor solution. The presentation is different between the two. Obviously the 2344 is rolled off up top a bit. Even with direct comparison it is not objectionable. They seems to be some loss of detail but its subtle. The 2307/H94 077 combo is very smooth and I was really surprised at how well it images. They don't image the same either. The 2344 seems to be more up front and presise image wise while the 2307 seems to have more depth but it's not as presise as the 2344. The sound from both are a little different too. This sounds contradictory but the 4344 is more in your face even though the imaging is not. By in your face I don't mean it in a bad way but it's hard to describe. They seem to have an "immediacy" to them but they are not at all harsh. Basically I very much enjoy both and to choose between them would be tuff indeed. I still lean towards the 2344 a bit but time will tell that could change. Now the problem I have is the speakers are in the same room but in very different locations. The main set-up is at a disadvantage as far as imaging because of asymetrical placement and the right speaker being in a corner. The 4344 are out in free space. When I had my XPL's in the same positions they were the image champs which is what I expected. This is definately a preference issue between the two. They both sound great and there are diferences but they are less than I thought they would be. At least for now have to get more time listenning. Hey Ian what was your impression with the 4435/4343 shot out you did with John??

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 07-22-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Robert,

We need to archive your post, its sums up the properties of both arrangements perfectly!

Your comments mirror my impressions when I compared the 2307/08 with the 2344 using the 2122 mid.

I was playing my own system last night to the wee hours and the transient detail, immediacy and depth shows.

My recollections of Johns 4343/4435 were similar but yet another derivative as the 2344 crosses over the the 2234 woofer.

Ian

Thread Information