Thread: Northridge subwoofers?

Paul Joppa

Northridge subwoofers?

OK, I know, most everybody here is into the "real" (pro) JBL stuff. The Northridge series is consumer audio, and not at the highest end either.

Years ago, the L16/L26/L36 were consumer audio, but still used drivers of pretty good quality construction. I am wondering whether that is still true. Anybody know anything about these systems?

At the moment I'm most interested in the powered subwoofers, but also curious about the rest of the line. Or other "consumer" grade lines.

Hi Paul; Nice to see you pop up now and then. Unfortunately so far it doesn't look like there is much experience here on the line in question. What is your interest in them?

Mike Baker

Paul Joppa
    Two interests. First, I'd hate to see JBL go the way of the late lamented "Altec Lansing" --> SparkoMatic, so I have an abiding interest in how the low end is configured. Also a related engineering interest in what compromises can be made for cost without damaging the sonics too badly. I should probably read Stereophile too, but it makes me nuts and I quit a decade ago. LOL!

Second, one approach to a modest-size high efficiency system is to use a sub/satelite system with a high crossover, e.g. 150Hz. That puts some tough requirements on the sub, like it has to sound decent up to 500Hz at least.

With a decent sub, all kinds of things are possible. How about a 2220 as midrange? A 0.5 cubic foot sealed box will do the job! I have several 8" JBLs to play with also, and would rather not make a bunch of 3 cubic foot boxes just to hear them. I confess to a commercial interest too; working on some satelite designs & would like to be able to recommend a modest sub with acceptable performance.

Hmm, interesting. Hopefully a member here can help, or point us in the right direction. In general, I have seen references to this series JBL sub and have not seen negative reviews from the owners, but I can't point to one right now..................

I have no experience with e series, I own two s series subs, the s120p IIs.

Eseries speakers-not subs

Paul
    I have a pr of e100's and I don't like em. Not enough bass. Speakers of this size should'nt need the help of a subwoofer in my opinion. Yeah they're nice and clear sounding but not enough bottom end for my taste. I was very disappointed in these from the time I pulled them out of their cartons and plugged them into an amp. Especially since they were my first JBL's and my hopes were sky high. I have since purchased two pairs of 30 year old JBL's and they fit the bill perfectly. Ti-dome has a thread on a pair of these that he took apart to inspect farther on down in this section of the forum. You may find what you are looking for there.

RJ
    PS, oh and by the way, the e 100's are sitting in my bedroom covered up at the moment anybody want em? Make me an offer.

Thread Information