Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Array 1400 Clones

So it's not really a clone...

it's better. It has a Be mid diaphragms instead of Al, and a CC crossover. Did you address the cabinet resonances (130 and 260 Hz) mentioned in the Stereophile review? How did you get the diaphragms treated? It looks like you went with a more conventional and much easier to build bass cabinet shape than the trapezoidal stock shape. Did you keep the internal volume the same and do you think the shape makes any difference?

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, but I have become obsessed with the 1400s after hearing them at CES. I'm either going to sell a bunch of my equipment and buy a pair, or try to do what you have done. Lastly, have you had a chance to directly compare your "clones" to the stock 1400's? I bet your speakers sound absolutely terrific!

Hi Robh3306

It looks by the schematic that all driver are in phase. I ask because, in the 1400 array XO, the -3 and the 435 are out of phase with the system.

BTW I have almost finished my Be xo's.
    Always fun learning more.......

Been a long time but if my memory is right they are all in phase, have to go look at the impulse response. I think they are in the 1400 Array as well.

Here is a short section of the review from Stereophile. Looking at the impulse they are all wired with the same acoustic phase. I forget if the LE-14H-3 is the JBL standard which would indeed have them reversed with respect too the upper drive units. Get a 1.5 volt battery and see what's what.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Robh3606; 05-29-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added attachement
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thanks Rob.

Maybe I am talking electrically in phase, not sure. Am I reading the Schematic for the 1400 XO properly?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post121868

Doesn't the w/blk stripe always go to the black terminal on JBL drivers? Maybe I am just confused! Highly probable.

Doesn't the w/blk stripe always go to the black terminal on JBL drivers? Maybe I am just confused! Highly probable.

No not always, also the schematics vary from acoustic polarity like the 1400 Array one to actual driver polarities. No consistency. Don't forget that JBL doctrine was opposite the industry standard so a +V on a +T equals a -CM. Not like everywhere else where a +V on a +T equals a +CM. That should clear things up.

V= Voltage T= Terminal CM= Cone Motion + Cone Motion means outward Away from the Frame

Don't worry we will get it done.

Rob

Thank You Rob!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Here is a short section of the review from Stereophile.
    I can't believe you would quote JA. To hear some on this forum speak, Stereophile is worth less than toilet paper.

That plot shows just how well "time aligned" these speakers are... (for those less technically inclined, the speaker is far from being "time aligned"... the tweeter is clearly far ahead of everybody else) funny how just a couple of decades back in the Dahlquist, Kef 105, B+W 801 days, everyone touted "time alignment" as being required for good imaging. Live and learn.

Sorry, I guess that was OT.

Thanks for the pointers Rob, if I ever go Be with my clones, I'll be scouring these threads!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I can't believe you would quote JA. To hear some on this forum speak, Stereophile is worth less than toilet paper.

Widget
    John is one of the few from that mag that deals in facts and doesn't act like a shill.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hello Widget

To each their own. I respect his measurements, I think he does a good job and generally is pretty fair overall is his assessment of them. His measurements are the main reason I subscribe as at least you have both sides of the story so to speak.

Rob

I think the winky smilie was a subtle nod towards JA/Stereophile. Widget wasn't saying he thought you believed Stereophile was toilet paper, just that a lot here do.

I took his post more as a jab towards the cult of the perfectly time aligned, and using JA's measurements as evidence that a good speaker can be something other than perfectly time aligned.

I think the winky smilie was a subtle nod towards JA/Stereophile. Widget wasn't saying he thought you believed Stereophile was toilet paper, just that a lot here do.
    Hello Jeff

I got that and I agree on your second point.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

That plot shows just how well "time aligned" these speakers are... (for those less technically inclined, the speaker is far from being "time aligned"... the tweeter is clearly far ahead of everybody else) funny how just a couple of decades back in the Dahlquist, Kef 105, B+W 801 days, everyone touted "time alignment" as being required for good imaging. Live and learn.

Sorry, I guess that was OT.

Thanks for the pointers Rob, if I ever go Be with my clones, I'll be scouring these threads!

Widget
    This is the same test article where JA states (confesses?) that he has been a fan of Greg Timbers since meeting him back circa 1981! Could'a knocked me over with a feather when I read that quote. I re-read the article the next morning after leaving the page open all night for a suitable break-in period... and I was still stunned.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    This is the same test article where JA states (confesses?) that he has been a fan of Greg Timbers since meeting him back circa 1981! Could'a knocked me over with a feather when I read that quote. I re-read the article the next morning after leaving the page open all night for a suitable break-in period... and I was still stunned.
    I can't imagine anyone who's met Greg Timbers not being a fan.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    A friend recently had some uber expensive caps put in an amp of his... he was told to really listen after 100 hours of break in.

I wonder, do magazines read better after 100 hours of break in.

Sorry, just feeling a bit testy today... I forgot to save a rather long and cumbersome document I had prepared and have been recreating it all day.

I personally have never met JA, but I do respect his knowledge and integrity... there are many others who are well published who leave me scratching my head. As to the comment about "time alignment"... back in the day I did it too. It most certainly will affect the sound and absolutely will allow a speaker to measure better, but damn if these time misfit horn systems don't sound pretty damned fine and many of the newer ones even image shockingly well. Must have more to do with early reflections and rooms than the phase/time issues.

Widget

Sorry Rob... still OT

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I can't imagine anyone who's met Greg Timbers not being a fan.
    What he said.

Widget

Thread Information