Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to me about Horns!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Try this ; The Link is now going to the Complete Thread ( ie; the AES Paper on the 4430 ).

- It appears that you don't understand acoustic alignment issues .

<> cheers
    Thank you for the link!

As far as understanding acoustic alignment issues, can you help me understand what I am missing?

Did not get the point

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

- It appears that you don't understand acoustic alignment issues .

<> cheers
    ???

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    ???

Ruediger
    Either I don't know something about time alignments or more likely I did not express my understanding of it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
    Either I don't know something about time alignments or more likely I did not express my understanding of it clearly.
    I think the part about recessing the horn flange back into the baffle to match the 2235 recess is what did it. The voice coils of the drivers are what you want to align, not the front edge of the horn with the front edge of the woofer. That's why Rob mentioned that the horn baffle needed to be further forward, not recessed back.

At least that's the vibe I'm picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren42
    As far as understanding acoustic alignment issues, can you help me understand what I am missing?
    - If you're simply cloning the physical layouts for a project derived from the 4430 , then you appear to be good to go & aren't missing anything .

- OTOH, if you change woofer type / or horn type /or driver type / or crossover point / you'll need to start from scratch ( as far as physical layouts ) .

- ie; You'll need to impulse test your components to achieve a best fit "Time Alignment" ( of the frequencies within the crossover area, say 1/2 octave either side of the chosen point ) .
    - This must be done with the network in place so that it's effects are included .
    - Physical movement of the components can make up for some of the measured offset .
    - Adding electrical components ( poles & zeros in the network ) can add a bit of "delay" .
    - Subtracting electrical components ( poles & zeros in the network ) will reduce delay.
    - Choosing a different crossover point will "shift" the acoustic center ( which is frequency dependant ) forwards or backwards / when dealing with such heavy coned woofers like the 2235 or le14 .

>< cheers

Thread Information