Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is JBL-4333B "much" better than JBL-4425

is JBL-4333B "much" better than JBL-4425

Hi, I am a happy user of JBL-4425, recently I find there is a pair of JBL-4333B for sale in my country, is there any body can tell me that 4333B is "much" better than 4425 or not?

Quote Originally Posted by lolo258 View Post
    Hi, I am a happy user of JBL-4425, recently I find there is a pair of JBL-4333B for sale in my country, is there any body can tell me that 4333B is "much" better than 4425 or not?
    Depends on what you listen to, musically ...
    jazz? Rock'n'Roll? Funk or hipHop?
    Techno-trance? Broadway soundtracks? Classical?

That's why owners may have more than one pair of premium speakers -
    some music is just more alive on one set than on another!

Take some of your music and go listen to the 4333B - and see if you like the sound!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

steveh

Hi lolo258 Regardless of what type of music that you listen to, the 4333 will outperform the 4425. There is really no comparison as the 4333 is a three way system utilizing the 15" bass, le85 and the 077 ultra hi frequency, and the 4425 is a two way system with 12" bass and hi frequency horn. This is not to infer that the 4425 is not "good", its just that they are completly different systems.

Yeah, I don't think the type of music you like will make as much a difference between them as will the way you listen and the room you listen in.

The 2231H woofer in the 4333B can be over powering if put in a small room and stuck near a corner. However if you set these speakers up properly, they have deeper bass, clearer and more extended highs, and a significantly greater maximum SPL capability than the much smaller 4425.

While I would expect most people to prefer the 4333B over the 4425, I doubt it is universal.

Widget

Hi, the music I listen are Celtic(Altan' Solas' Clannad' Loreena McKennitt.......)' rock(60s and 70s)' folk(Joan baez' Jackson Browne.....), the room I listen in is around 4mx4m, so maybe is not big enough for 4333B, is that correct?

Another question, what is the difference between 4333' 4333A and 4333B? which one is better? If I can purchase 4333B in USD2000, is that a good deal?

Thank you guys.

What is it about your present speakers you think might be improved upon?

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    What is it about your present speakers you think might be improved upon?
    Excellent question.

Your musical tastes do not seem to be biased toward the heavy bass world and your listening room is on the small side. I am not sure I'd go with big 43XX speakers.

The 4333, 4333A, 4333B are all versions of the same thing with a variety of driver and network changes. If you look through this site and search the discussion forums you will learn a lot about them.

Widget

My 2 cents, so to speak.

First, in honesty, I don't own either of the speakers you are looking at, so take my opinion with a grain of salt (I have heard both, however). Also, I own the higher models of both (4343 and 4430) and also do most of my listening in my office, which is roughly the same size as your room.

In this room, the 4430 drivers blend really well at the crossover point and image superbly. I can't get far enough away from the 4343's for the drivers' output to blend, so the speakers really don't image (I hear high frequencies from a distinctly different place than the mids and lows). While I understand 4343's are a 4 way and this is more of an issue with them, I do not enjoy listening to anything like Loreena McKennit on them, while the 4430's do great.

If you can get a really good deal on 4333's, enough that you can try them and resell them, give it a shot, though I really don't think you'll like them. I would focus instead on trading up to 4430's, which excell over the 4425's in every aspect, though you may have to tame the bass a little in your room.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

steveh
    "If you can get a really good deal on 4333's, enough that you can try them and resell them, give it a shot, though I really don't think you'll like them. I would focus instead on trading up to 4430's, which excell over the 4425's in every aspect, though you may have to tame the bass a little in your room."

He might also enjoy a pair of Westlakes or maybe some big Wilson's but if you read and comprehend his question, he wants to know the difference between 4333's and 4425's. He obviously is not from the U.S. and has limited speaker choices available. Know back to his question; I think that in an adequate room, a properly set up pair of 4333's will outperform 4425's.

"I would focus instead on trading up to 4430's, which excell over the 4425's in every aspect, though you may have to tame the bass a little in your room."

I highly agree with this. Focus on the 4430. They are better than the 4425s - so much so a comparison is not fair. Prices on the 4430 are reasonable for now, and to find some clean ones should not be difficult as you know they almost made them for 20 years. You won't be sorry with a set of 4430s - they sound the best to me, even in smaller rooms.

And to go back to the original question, the 4333 would for sure outperform the 4425 and it would not have to be a side-by-side test. Honestly, I don't think the 4425s sound that good to me. I would say that the 4333 are better and have a more honest sound. Saying this, I also would not be unhappy with what you have, I just think the sound is different. If you can only get the 4333s by selling the 4425s, sell the 4425s.

Thank you guys, you are both truely wonderful. steveh is right, I am not a American and the choice of old-JBL is limited in my coutry.

According to the great opinion of you guys, I will keep my 4425, and waiting for 4430, I think there is still a chance for 4430 available.

Dear Mr. HCSGuy and other respected gentleman, Another question , if there is larger space, for exsample 20mx20m (65feetx65eet),music is still something like Loreena McKennit, can 4430 still perferm a better sound than 4333 or 4343?

Thank you so much.

Dear Mr. HCSGuy and other respected gentleman, Another question , if there is larger space, for exsample 20mx20m (65feetx65eet),music is still something like Loreena McKennit, can 4430 still perferm a better sound than 4333 or 4343?
    Heck, even my 4345s image perfectly in a room 16-ft x12-feet. They're toed-in slightly ten-feet apart and ten-feet from the listening position. And they sound great with Loreena McKennitt. I'm particularly partial to "Live in Paris and Toronto".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Your questions are getting harder, and trending more towards subjective opinions. If you have the opportunity to listen to the speakers in a 20x20m room that is acoustically good, I think any of the large format monitors would sound great. I can't say what my preference would be.

Here is my opinion - only that. The 4430 is an extremely versatile speaker that doesn't have any huge flaws and does everything at least pretty well. The 2235 woofer in it is the best JBL 15" of that era, and is a popular substitution into 43xx monitors (with a crossover rework). While I can't complain, if you search the site you will find those who feel the upper midrange is a little harsh, or would like some more output in the top octave.

If you pick your music and your room, the 43xx monitors are lots of fun. I don't have BMWCCA's luxury of modded 4345's and have not explored modifying my 4343's to be more versatile. I think the 43xx's have stronger strengths and weaker weaknesses than the 4430's, and so would say that you are more likely to be happy with 4430's. However, beyond my opinion, you should try to hear a few. If it's possible, travel to hear the 4333's you spoke of and get a feel for them.

Hope this helps!
    -John

Hi, Mr.BMWCCA, please watch the live-DVD "Nights From The Alhambra" of Loreena McKennitt, it will make you fly...

The seller who is selling 4333B is also selling 4345 at the same time, but it's tooooooo big for my home...

Dear Mr.HCSGuy, thank you so much for your reply, you said "the 43xx's have stronger strengths and weaker weaknesses than the 4430's" , I think it's the most precious opinion I have ever seen. Those 4333B speaker is not in the city I live and I have to give up, the reason I give up is the space, the space I have is less than 50cm, and the width of 4333B is 62cm, if I purchase 4333B, I have no place to put my JMLAB AV speaker........

Hi, Mr.BMWCCA, please watch the live-DVD "Nights From The Alhambra" of Loreena McKennitt, it will make you fly...
    (
    I'll have to borrow it from my daughter next time I'm in NYC. I'm sure she has it since she's the one who turned me on to McKennitt in the first place. Thanks!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information