Thread: 1202A cabinets, any info?

1202A cabinets, any info?

Hi all, I haven't posted here in quite awhile, so please forgive me. Today I bought a pair of empty cabinets, marked 1202A, which hold an 811-B horn & a 15" LF driver. I'd love to learn about their history, proper component load, & especially the crossovers. The crossovers are there, & look original, but one has been repaired at some point, & has wire-nuts on it. I probably won't be finding the original LF drivers any time soon, but have a couple good substitutions, and also have 811-Bs with 808-8A drivers, as well as another pair with BMS drivers. So my main interest was the cabs, but it would be an added bonus if the crossovers are good & worth saving. Thanks in advance. BTW, as you'll see in the pics, these say Musical Sound Products, which might help. Oh yeah, the actual serial #s are 1229 & 1269, not sure what the stamped in ink #s refer to.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Well, I finally found the 1202B in the 1972 Musical Instrument catalog (these must be slightly older). The only problem is, I can't read the specs as well as I'd like, lol. I can tell it uses an 811 with an 807-8A driver, & a 418B LF driver, but I'm not sure if the dividing network is a N800H or N600H. Maybe one of you has better eyes than I do, & a few minutes to spare? www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1972-mi.htm These will be for home use, & I was advised in another forum that I might not like the stock woofers there.

Hey Spaceman,
    That scan is pretty vague...I think generally 811 horns 800hz crossover. Have fun with your new project.

Thumbs down

Hello Spaceman

You can read it better in the 1975 MI catalog on lansingheritage.org.

Regards, Gunther

Quote Originally Posted by hanad400 View Post
    Hello Spaceman

You can read it better in the 1975 MI catalog on lansingheritage.org.

Regards, Gunther
    Thanks, it never occured to me to go the other direction again, once I found close to the right model, lol. I see now, it's a N800H network, which is good to know when I'm discussing them at least. Actually, I'm kinda hoping to still find more info on them, to doublecheck the wiring, but they should be real easy to recap, just a 30uF & a 6uF on each one. I wouldn't mind finding a pair of 421As cheap, but actually, I already have a pair of D130Fs, that need a full recone, that I'll try to get done eventually. They should work quite well.

Thread Information