Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L150 help

jontherev

JBL L150 help

Great site, just what I was looking for! I have an old set of L150's my uncle gave me. I bought new woofers directly from JBL about 4 years ago to replace the old ones, which were deteriorating. Now, the midranges are not working, but JBL told me that they no longer sell these speakers, and furthermore, that there were NO other comparable replacements for these. So, what should I do? These speakers ROCK and I would hate to have to buy something else, especially after forking out $300-400 for those brand new woofers. Any help or advice would be much appreciated....thanks!

RIP 2009
    Here's a matrix of the different versions of the LE5 midrange as posted by (Giskard?). There are a number of the 91db versions that should work quite well, and are often found on eBay. You could probably even use the 94db versions and just turn the midrange controls down a little. The unlisted 104H-2 version could also probably fill in. The changes between different versions is probably so slight that you'd have to compare them side by side to tell any differences.

John
    Last edited by johnaec; 07-11-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Figge
    u can also recone the mids. i kinda blew one le5-2 in a pair of 4311:s one time and called jbl repair. they told me they could recone it. i didnt do it cause of the prize! bought used pair instead.

jontherev
    Wow, thanks a lot people! That's what I needed to know!

Figge
    btw welcome aboard!

Re: JBL L150 help

Originally posted by jontherev
    I have an old set of L150's my uncle gave me.

Now, the midranges are not working
    A terrific Uncle you have there!. You must be a close-knit familiy!

About the midranges--Unless you know specifically what happened to them you should check to be sure it is the midranges that have gone out and not something in the crossovers.

David

jontherev

oops!

Ok, I've had these speakers for about 7 years now and I was going on memory. Total brainfart on my part. ACTUALLY...it is NOT the midrange that is out, but rather one tweeter. Everything else is working fine, just one tweeter from one side. So, I guess the same question needs to be asked as before...which models would work good as a replacement for this tweeter. I imagine I'll have to probably buy a set and just replace both of them. You guys are quick! I've put this off forever and am finally wanting to get these speakers kicking their appropriate @$$. And yes, my uncle is really cool. Now, I just an amp to power these babies and the whole neighborhood can use my stereo.

RIP 2009
    The L150 uses the 033 tweeter - it's got a black dome. The L150A uses the 044 tweeter - silver in color. 'Not readily interchangeable as the crossover is different. I've seen both tweeters on eBay from time to time. I'm not sure if other models could be used...

John

jontherev
    Originally posted by johnaec
    The L150 uses the 033 tweeter - it's got a black dome. The L150A uses the 044 tweeter - silver in color. 'Not readily interchangeable as the crossover is different. I've seen both tweeters on eBay from time to time. I'm not sure if other models could be used...

John
    Sweet, there's actually one on ebay right now for 39.99 + 10 bucks shipping. Ok, let the bidding begin! Thanks everyone for the help.

RIP 2009
    I'd also verify it's the tweeter and not a crossover component by switching the tweeters first to see if the problems follows it, or at least check the coil resistance to see if it's open or shorted.

John

jontherev
    I'd also verify it's the tweeter and not a crossover component by switching the tweeters first to see if the problems follows it, or at least check the coil resistance to see if it's open or shorted.

John
    Whew! I had already placed a bid on that tweeter before reading your reply. Well, I switched the tweeters out and it still wouldn't work, so it looks like I "lucked" out and won't have an extra tweeter lying around after all. I should have perfectly healthy L150's in a week or so. Thanks for all the help ppl.

RIP 2009
    So you're saying the 033 actually is bad after the switch? It still didn't work when you put it in the previously good cabinet? I'll keep my fingers crossed for your bid.

I've also got a set of L150 speakers, in addition to two sets of L65-A speakers. With a little bit of judicious EQ you can get the L150s sounding pretty good. I'm sure you'll like them.

John

jontherev
    So you're saying the 033 actually is bad after the switch? It still didn't work when you put it in the previously good cabinet? I'll keep my fingers crossed for your bid.

I've also got a set of L150 speakers, in addition to two sets of L65-A speakers. With a little bit of judicious EQ you can get the L150s sounding pretty good. I'm sure you'll like them.

John
    Yeah, the 033 didn't make any noise at all when I switched it to the other side. I did it twice to make sure. So, it's definitely the 033 that's busted. What pisses me off now is that I spent so much on those woofers when I could have either bought some on ebay, or had them reconed. I didn't know what I was doing, and just ASSumed that I needed to buy a new pair through JBL. Regardless, I have a great pair of speakers, so I'm ultimately a happy pair of ears.

No one has bid thus far, and I'm guessing the market is pretty scarce on these puppies, so I'm confident I will take the tweeter home. If i have to up my bid, so be it. I don't have an EQ at all, and they sound righteous indeed. I get compliments constantly, and no one thus far has even been able to tell I'm missing a tweeter! Of course, they aren't audiophiles like you guys. Once again, thanks for all the help man. I can't wait to hear these speakers with some BALANCE! Take care,
    Jon

Last minute bids are very common for JBL stuff on eBay. I would sugest that you bid again, as much as you are willing to pay, before the auction ends. The actual bid price will not increase unless there is another bidder.

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by Don C
    Last minute bids are very common for JBL stuff on eBay. I would sugest that you bid again, as much as you are willing to pay, before the auction ends. The actual bid price will not increase unless there is another bidder.
    Excellent advice Don! I've lost out on a few things because I intended to wait until the last minute so as not to drive the price up, then got distracted, forgot to make that last bid, and lost out...

John

Thread Information