Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best JBL EVER?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    As you have proved time and time again. While you might feel it is your prerogative, being a cranky old geezer, it isn't an endearing personality trait.
    True but we need a balance. Frankly I'm glad Maron has stepped up to the plate and is riding that end of the seasaw.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Frankly I'm glad Maron has stepped up to the plate and is riding that end of the seasaw.
    Oh, I'm not saying that I wasn't enjoying the discourse... as my wife likes to say. "You (meaning me) have a knack for stating the obvious."

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    You might want to read #54 again.. Its a proper discription for that speaker... But for the thinskinned its still a good discription,,, Looks good but still not good sounding,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Yes there were alot of BOZAK Hounds in STL. They hung out at BOBs place on Hampton.. I hung out mostly at HiFi Showroon (Clayton),, And caught that JBL fever.. Both the 075 and 175 take a nosedive after 15K.. I have both as paper weights in my mancave,,, I think we might be of the same AGE,,,(sad huh !!!)
    I
    I hung out at Bob Shaw on Hampton , also at HIfi Showroom on Clayton Rd. Again the 175DLH will extend when used only as a tweeter crossover at
    7000k. Harvey Bender at HiFi show room on Delmar was a friend of mind.

Maron Horonzakz
    I will try the switch to the 7K xover position this evening on a pair of 175s and do an audition,,, Ol Harvey Bender.. The last i bumped into him was at DOLNICKS Furniture when i was in town,,, I asked if he still had his Rosewood Paragon,,,His reply was yes, and would sell it to me for $20,000... He sold me my Marantz 10B tuner (new)..

Harvey sold me my first Crown amp, about 1973. Also my C37 030, about 1969. And he took my Fisher SA-1000 in trade on the Crown and kept it for his audio "museum".

Maybe I knew you two, back then. Must have hit you both a little too hard on the head! Sorry 'bout that.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I liked the description of the Paragon in post #54. It was one of the few things I understood in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRum View Post
    I liked the description of the Paragon in post #54. It was one of the few things I understood in this thread.
    The point to remember is that in the golden age of audio high fi , the owners and manufactures of audio equipment were men who enjoyed serious
    music, they were hobbist as well as engineers.

Today multi-transnational companies own and manufacture audio equipment. The bottom line is profit. An example here locally was when Emerson Electric purchased Fisher. The CEO of Emerson Mr. Knight had little or no interst in the fine history and dedication Avery Fisher and others had put into making Fisher what it was. One of Americas leading audio companies.

Emerson destroyed Fisher , the Fisher products coming out of Emerson was second rate. That example can be used to describe the downward
    slide of many audio companies. JBL was one of those companies.
    But than did it really make a difference ?
    One only has to listen to the popular music of today !

Maron Horonzakz
    Emerson Electric was more into avionics and military equipment,,It boggles the mind why Mr knight wanted to buy Fisher . But It will be interesting in the leagle fight at the KRELL takover.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    One only has to listen to the popular music of today !
    Are you my father?

Sounds like something he'd say. Well, to be truthful it sounds like something he would say 30 years ago when he was my age, now he really couldn't care less, what with his failing hearing and all.

Speaking of which. I met with a recording engineer the other day who had just come back with a CD he'd made at Sony Music (Columbia Records). The disc was of big band music as a tribute to music that was behind Frank Sinatra. He worked on the project with one of Frank's original engineers who now at 83 has high tech hearing aides that allow him to hear as well as he did at 18. Apparently these hearing aides are connected to a computer and can be electronically equalized to give you correct hearing once again.

I am sure they are horrifically expensive, but at least there is hope that we'll still be able to enjoy our systems and the high frequencies well into our '80s... if we have the means.

Oh, did I wander OT... geez.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Oh, did I wander OT... geez.

Widget
    hey, watch who you're calling Geeze, okay?
    as the years keep rolling by, a few more cycles get trimmed off the top ..
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Emerson Electric was more into avionics and military equipment,,It boggles the mind why Mr knight wanted to buy Fisher . But It will be interesting in the leagle fight at the KRELL takover.
    Mr. knight was a Gordon Gekko of the 1970's he bought Fisher , especially the name , used it and threw it away. If I was to list all the audio companies this happen to the list would be almost endless.
    We have heard that song before.

Maron Horonzakz
    Wolfshead,,,, Do you remember Bob Shaw, Foray into recording the St Louis Symphony Orch,, And broadcasting the tapes over KFUO FM ?? Bob Shaw and Roy had a hell of a time with Pasternak,,Directer of Powel Hall and Symphony,,They used to rant a rave about the politics and not getting paid for there long efforts,,, I bought that Crown recorder from him,, And later I Was recording engineer for St Louis Philharmonic For 19 yrs. I broadcast those tapes over KWMU.. With Barry Hufker,,That Crown 800 and also a Magnecord recorder Loaned from Bob Were the mainstay for those broadcasts,,,Bob Shaw sold a ton of SHURE cartridges and mics,,He also sold me the SENNHEISER mics and yards and yards of cable,, Loyd Smith and i used to hang out there on saturdays,,,I dont know if you new him,,In his Younger years Loyed played trumpet in a Jazz orchestra,,,Loyed bought his Bozak Concert Grand and Audio Research amps from Shaw,,,Loyed loved tube amps,, Every time Audio Research came out with a new amp he had to upgrade. It was sad when Bob closed that Audio store he did alot of audio installations aroun town,, He was ill and couldnt carry on,,, I wonder what happened to Roy,,,, At John Marshall,s place,,HiFi Showroom,,,Had a grand time there also,, There was a salesman there,, I only remember his first name,,WALTER,,I cant remember his last name I need to contact him,,But his last name eludes me,,He was a follower of IAN RAND,,and read all of her books and had tapes of her lectures,, When KWMU changed there broadcasting format,,I stopped recording for them and Berry Hufker whent on to teaching at Webster University,,,

Lloyd Smith and I were very good friends , as was Bob Shaw and his son.
    Lloyd's beginning system was University speakers , than Jensen Imperials and
    finally Bozak Tri-amp Concert Grands , first using 6 Marantz model 9's and finally
    Audio Research. Lloyd played saxaphone with a leading band and did some work with the St.Louis symphony at Washington University.

John Marshall was a very nice person , his wife ran the audio shop and he his restaurant.

Ruddy Bozak visited Lloyd on several occasions. Lloyd at one time had one Hartsfield which he sold.

It was a grand time, Lloyd and I would visit Chicago to attend the audio shows. A few old MGM sound men would visit Shaw's store. One assisted in the camera work when Fred Astaire danced on the ceiling in the film "Royal Wedding " It was a grand time.
    We may have met.

Maron Horonzakz
    Loyed Smith was quite the gentilman,, he used to snack on a stick of butter with a touch of honey... His audio setup was always the grandest,,Lp records in shelves stacked to the ceiling,,,Yes those Marantz Mod 9,s looked great I dont know if you knew John Marshall flew Jet fighters,,He also had quite a history,Loved his restraunt under the Audio store,That special beef sandwich and the cleopatra ice cream for dessert,, With the McIntosh audio system & JBL,s in the background ,, Judge Cahill used to hang out there,,The last time I was in the new Thomas Eagleton Federal building,, There was Cahill,s portrate on the wall,,He also had a great audio system,, OOOOOhh those were the days..

Thread Information