Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best JBL EVER?

The best ever JBL speaker system in my opinion would be two Hartsfield's
    with a Paragon for the center speaker.

Frank Sinatra had such a system. There were several other motion picture stars with such systems, Richard Boone was seen in an old audio book
    removing his 375 horn lens from one of his Hartsfields with the other Hartsfield
    and a Paragon in the background.

The problem of course was space , a room large enough to accommodate
    such a system.
    Here in St.louis there was man with four Hartsfield in his basement , they were overwhelming.

The Harsfield were very expensive to build , there was a change in design about 1957 to reduce cost. The Paragon was also expensive to build.
    Music has changed and with stereo and the cheap transistor audio will never be the same .

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Best ever? Or best ever value for money?

Just to make it a bit more interesting I think its a more relative to look at (1) JBL vintage professional, (2) JBL vintage consumer, (3) the JBL Japanese blue monitors (numerous models) and the statement series.

(1) 4345, 4435 a close 2nd

(2) L250Ti

(3) 4338

(4) DD66000
    great point about separating categories.....I had a number of current speakers to hear on my one day quest in Akihabara, Japan, and though the Everest2 left me speechless, the 4338 was the "ugly" speaker that I had no interest in hearing but ended up impressing me the most that day, considering the price difference....that's a sound I could live with every day without wanting more, just a wonderful speaker
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    The best ever JBL speaker system in my opinion would be two Hartsfield's with a Paragon for the center speaker.
    If you read and search a bit on this site you'll find we have already venerated the Paragon for its aesthetic, its innovative approach, and it's craftsmanship. Many fall short of loving it for its sound though. As others have said, it would be difficult to believe that such top engineering minds that have worked at JBL in the decades since the introduction of the Paragon were not able to harness modern material, modern calibration techniques, and years of experience to improve on the ability to reproduce sound through transducer improvement. Have you heard the Everest II?

Here in St.louis there was man with four Hartsfield in his basement , they were overwhelming.
    Perhaps you've met Maron Horonzakz here?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

best jbl ever

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    If you read and search a bit on this site you'll find we have already venerated the Paragon for its aesthetic, its innovative approach, and it's craftsmanship. Many fall short of loving it for its sound though. As others have said, it would be difficult to believe that such top engineering minds that have worked at JBL in the decades since the introduction of the Paragon were not able to harness modern material, modern calibration techniques, and years of experience to improve on the ability to reproduce sound through transducer improvement. Have you heard the Everest II?

An excellation observation. I might add , Most speakers in the United States designed since 1970 has been built around ever more exotic driver
    materials and inexpensive transisters. Thus the emphasis on technology ,
    engineering ,technique and change often masquerading as innovation has
    rarely bought genuine progress. Speakers today at least to my ears are Hifi-ish and artifical. A result speakers designed earlier in the U.S. , most have emigrated to Japan and Europe. The outstanding speakers of the past has become collectors items. A pair of early Hartsfield can bring over $40,000

Perhaps you've met Maron Horonzakz here?
    No I haven't.

No I haven't.
    He's a member here who lives in St. Louis and has...more than one Paragon.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Maron Horonzakz
    The Paragon and Hartsfield can be improved upon,,If you insist on keeping the cabinets intact but changing to more advanced drivers,,woofers,,and xovers..But oddly enough in doing so drops the value for the collecter.. Go figure ??

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    The Paragon and Hartsfield can be improved upon,,If you insist on keeping the cabinets intact but changing to more advanced drivers,,woofers,,and xovers..But oddly enough in doing so drops the value for the collecter.. Go figure ??
    That is not always true, the cabinets were designed for especially the
    woofers being used. It is almost impossible to find a woofer today that works well with a Hartsfield. Remember modification were made to reduce
    the cost of manufacturing the Hartsfield. The Paragon was designed to complement the Hartsfield and was less critical.

The modified Hartsfield , produced after 1957 was quite different, as posted earlier cost was a major factor in construction.
    The woofer was moved to the back of the enclosure wich simplified construction at a cost saving.
    The sound is different. Especially in the bass region.

Maron and Wolfshead!

Let me get comfortable, this'll be too much fun to miss!

You tell him, Horonzakz.

I really want to know what school Wolfshead attended in St. Louis. He may have fallen asleep in one of my English classes.

Just kiddin', I love you guys! This is supposed to be fun, right?

Maron Horonzakz
    In St louis,,Its the custom to ask what highschool you attended,,, And yes he is right the Hartsfield bass horn was redesigned to reduce cost in build.. Plus not too many customers wanted to purches the 8" adaptor,,So that modification was dropped,, Sounding different??? I never made a listening compairison,, Cut off of mouth of horn was the same but overall horn length was a bit shorter,,,Horn rolloff measured almost the same,,Not a white note difference, In both the Hartsfield & Paragon,,I hated the 075 tweeter or the tweeter placement.. Hartsfield and Paragon both are beautiful looking designs,,, But to me the Paragon looks better but falls short sonicly,,direct reflective sound falls short on imageing and all that discriptive crap... Oh ive tried many modifications to correct its driver positions,,Like moving the tweet to a special bracket mounted on the 375 oval horn,,ETC Woofers were changed with no improvement,,Its like having the most beautiful woman in your home but to find out she is a bitch butch.

Excellent observation Maron, as posted earlier I inquired what tweeter to use with a Hartsfield speaker system. When I purchased the two Hartsfield there was no tweeter included. The original Hartsfieds did not come with
    a tweeter.

I contacted JBL and talked with their technical department. I talked also with one of their tech people in St.Louis doing an audio show. Again the 175DLH or 275 driver was suggested as a replacement for the 075.

I have heard both Hartsfreild the difference is slight , but there is a difference. The Paragon is a beautiful work of art. When listening to both the Paragon and Hartsfield , the difference is simply power and dynamics.

Living in St.Louis once a Bozak city , the only speaker system that compares to the Bozak Concert Grands was the Hartsfield and EV Patricians in my opinion.

To manufacture those types of speakers today would be just to expensive. Plus musical taste has change. There would not be a market
    for a Paragon or Concert Grand.

In St louis,,Its the custom to ask what highschool you attended,,,
    It's also customary to offer an answer! Mine would be CDS.

Its like having the most beautiful woman in your home but to find out she is a bitch...
    Sometimes limiting the number of descriptive terms offers a word-picture that leaves more to the reader's interpretation and is actually far more evocative...and, in your case perhaps, more civil, courteous, well-mannered, well-bred, chivalrous, gallant, cordial, genial, pleasant, affable; gentlemanly—and less discourteous, rude, inappropriate, or offensive.

Maron Horonzakz
    Yes there were alot of BOZAK Hounds in STL. They hung out at BOBs place on Hampton.. I hung out mostly at HiFi Showroon (Clayton),, And caught that JBL fever.. Both the 075 and 175 take a nosedive after 15K.. I have both as paper weights in my mancave,,, I think we might be of the same AGE,,,(sad huh !!!)

Maron Horonzakz
    BMW,,, Political Correctnes is for you LEMMUNGS who do not have the guts to be independent and speak your mind... I believe your from StL also,,, And know about the segmentation of the neighborhoods...I,m not a follower of being polite...

I,m not a follower of being polite...
    As you have proved time and time again. While you might feel it is your prerogative, being a cranky old geezer, it isn't an endearing personality trait.

Widget

I,m not a follower of being polite...
    How can you say that, and sound so proud of it?
    That's really sad.....
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Thread Information