Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best JBL EVER?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Like the pair of L300 I recently missed in Lima for $225 that the guy took a week to respond back to me.. and when he did he said that he had finally posted pictures and a model number and wanted me to give him my phone number. Of course, by the time I saw his e-mail and the pictures, the speakers were already sold..

His entire original description said "large JBL home spaekers - $225"

arrrghh
    Lima, as in Lima, Ohio? Crap!!!

Best bang for the buck - 4311,4312. Best JBL for me? JBL Custom 4430 with 2405h tweeters making them a three way.

"The best I ever heard"?
    I luv 'em all.

"The best BANG for the bucks"?
    The 4301B.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Quote Originally Posted by CountD View Post
    Best bang for the buck - 4311,4312. Best JBL for me? JBL Custom 4430 with 2405h tweeters making them a three way.
    Would like more info on how you added the 2405H.

Rich

Rich, the 2405h was added by JBL Pro as a custom job for the first owner - and also custom crossovers. I came across these as they were advertised as a 'special' pair of 4430s on LA craigslist - maybe some people saw them. I went up from San Diego and checked them out. They are mint, and the owner told me the story on how the first owner had JBL pro custom make these 4430s with the 2405h. If you look at a stock 4430 and you see that small panel that says JBL Studio Monitor with the two pots - this has been replaced with a custom panel where the 2405h resides. I will be posting some pictures. There are a lot of custom JBLs in California (especially in the LA area).

Also, I forgot my other vote for the best JBL 'bang for the buck' - I would have to say the L100t - values are down now and there seems to be a lot on the market.

JBL 083 System (Modified) Circa 1957 (?)

I bought these speakers, used, in 1971 and they were far from new then. Each cabinet contains: (2) 150-4s; (1) N-500 cross-over; (1) 375 with a 537-500 horn-lens assembly; (1) N-7000 cross-over; and (1) 075 ring-radiator. The cabinets are custom made and rather ugly. The speaker cloth has warped badly and the wood is a little chipped here and there. But these babies have been delivering great sound from then until now. I paid $2,000 back in '71 but have no idea what they're worth today. Because of the 16-ohm impedance I doubt any amp made in the last 20 years would work with them. I still have my 1969 McIntosh 2105 powering them.

According to the old JBL catalogues, the 083 did not have the 075 and its partner cross-over. It looks like the C-55 black utility cabinets would have served them.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    [/color]

The tiny Control 1 in its various forms has to be a candidate here. JBL must have sold gazillions of these little fellahs. Performance beyond the price tag.
    I second that.

I’m a plastic JBL control 1 and 5 fanatic of the Control series for 20 years and wouldn’t mind owning four Control 10 or 12SR. Control is easy versatile to move around and then solve the issues of its performance within new boundaries and I’ve had these control 5, as well as the (control 1 only in three types of rooms), where the Control 5 has been in many rooms over 20 years.

Best pounding pulverising sound for the £pound the JBL Control 5.

Quote Originally Posted by CountD View Post
    Rich, the 2405h was added by JBL Pro as a custom job for the first owner - and also custom crossovers. I came across these as they were advertised as a 'special' pair of 4430s on LA craigslist - maybe some people saw them. I went up from San Diego and checked them out. They are mint, and the owner told me the story on how the first owner had JBL pro custom make these 4430s with the 2405h. If you look at a stock 4430 and you see that small panel that says JBL Studio Monitor with the two pots - this has been replaced with a custom panel where the 2405h resides. I will be posting some pictures. There are a lot of custom JBLs in California (especially in the LA area).

Also, I forgot my other vote for the best JBL 'bang for the buck' - I would have to say the L100t - values are down now and there seems to be a lot on the market.

Interesting, and excited to see pics. I recently picked up a pair of 4430's and do seem to miss the highs, so I'm curious. I've read quite a bit about the 4430, and went for it. My dad has the Olympus S8R, and I know Zilch will punish me, but they do sound sweet, and include more highs. I am growing into the 4430's though.

As far as adding: I was hoping for a simple cross to add, but am only seeing the bi-amp approach, etc.

Regards,
    Rich

'57 Paragon

Best ever? Or best ever value for money?

Just to make it a bit more interesting I think its a more relative to look at (1) JBL vintage professional, (2) JBL vintage consumer, (3) the JBL Japanese blue monitors (numerous models) and the statement series.

(1) 4345, 4435 a close 2nd

(2) L250Ti

(3) 4338

(4) DD66000

--top of the pops must be the DD66ooo, a true statement in sound and design! (i heard a pair once in a terribly bad room and they shone through the mush, hinting the possibilities. of course while looking GORGEOUS)

--price vs. value, i guess most stuff from the theaterinstalls is quite good. i tend to think that a 4675 for example is A LOT of speaker for moderate money. it has got the (disclaimer: imho) best horn of all times, two competent woofers and a truly understating cabinet

play around with an active network, add a supertweeter if you wish and it could be nicely tweaked into the average household

3-2-1-BLAST-OFF

cheers,
    mikey

ps: i own a pair of 4435 and i DONT think a supertweeter is needed. the system is very balanced: could be harder to proper integrate one then to live without one.
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    --price vs. value, i guess most stuff from the theaterinstalls is quite good. i tend to think that a 4675 for example is A LOT of speaker for moderate money. it has got the (disclaimer: imho) best horn of all times, two competent woofers and a truly understating cabinet

play around with an active network, add a supertweeter if you wish and it could be nicely tweaked into the average household

3-2-1-BLAST-OFF

cheers,
    mikey
    Do you really think that Mikey?
    I just got 8 of the 2360A's, and I was wondering if they'd suit a 'home stereo'?
    They don't come around very often 'down under' so I've shared them with friends.

i use them, and i think that but you know my hifi-highend-pa-journey is not that long yet.

if you already got the horns, you have to try! what can you loose?
    (if you got eight of them i really think we should start to calculate if a line array would be possible with them XD -hell yeah!)
    (btw. i have the 245o driver on mine, not the 2446)

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

I only have 2440's to put on mine, but I do have 2405's to add.
    .... and active, but, it'll be some time before I assemble it all.
    There's just no room!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaplas View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all my JBL's. I am an avid audiophile for and own L300's, L200's L100 t3's, JBL Everest II's and waiting on the arrival of a pair of Century Gold's. I plan to add a pair of 4300 series as well as a Paragon before I am done.

Aloha,

Shane
    Shane, would you describe the similarities & differences in the L200 and L300 listening experiences? thanks.

Thread Information