Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 126

Thread: Best JBL EVER?

  1. #16
    RIP 2010 scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,657
    From the pro sector I am still a big fan of 2395 lenses with 2441 drivers.
    scottyj

  2. #17
    Unabashed Speakerholic cosmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaplas View Post
    Hi All,

    Thanks for all the responses. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all my JBL's. I am an avid audiophile for and own L300's, L200's L100 t3's, JBL Everest II's and waiting on the arrival of a pair of Century Gold's. I plan to add a pair of 4300 series as well as a Paragon before I am done.

    Aloha,

    Shane
    Aloha Shane,

    That's an incredible collection you have going. Literally "Living in Paradise" with vintage, top level JBL... awesome. Congrats!

    I think I could live that way too..

    For the record, my favorite JBL system is either the 250Ti-LE or a home brew concoction with 2245/2204/375/077. In either case, incredible sound.


    Dan

  3. #18
    Senior Member pos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    a home brew concoction with 2245/2204/375/077
    Interesting! Do you have a description of your system somewhere?

  4. #19
    Senior Member macaroonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    near Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaplas View Post
    Question for all memebers

    1. What was/is the best JBL ever...(PRICE NO OBJECT)?

    2. What was the best value JBL speaker given price and performance.


    The tiny Control 1 in its various forms has to be a candidate here. JBL must have sold gazillions of these little fellahs. Performance beyond the price tag.

  5. #20
    Senior Member jcrobso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,103

    I have a pair Control 1 Plus.

    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    [/color]

    The tiny Control 1 in its various forms has to be a candidate here. JBL must have sold gazillions of these little fellahs. Performance beyond the price tag.
    I'm always amazed at the sound from this small speaker.

  6. #21
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,964
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I'm always amazed at the sound from this small speaker.
    I'm always amazed what they sell for on Ebay when you can buy them all day long brand-new on Harman's online store for $149. Never owned a pair. Maybe I should. How do they compare to the L1 or L20T?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  7. #22
    Senior Member Slare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    285
    For the longest time there was a seemingly endless supply of Control 1's being sold through an as-is vendor on Ebay. Most of the pairs sold for about $20-30 shipped and had one flaw or another.

    I bought two pairs with different problems and ended up with three like new Control 1's for under $50 I think. I still have and use the good pair. They make really nice nearfield speakers, an ideal choice to use on a desk, for example. But I wouldn't really place them anywhere near a pair of L1's, which stomp all over them if you have the room for them.

    I have also had a pair of L20t3's but didn't care for them at all. I thought they were very neutral speakers, but not inviting to listen to at all. Much prefer L1's.

    I'd vote in the poll but I'm not really qualified enough to vote for either based upon MSRP.

    Based upon my own limited experience, I think a $300 pair of L7's is awfully hard to beat. But I've also missed out on a chance at L250's around $750.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

  8. #23
    Senior Member spkrman57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,980

    Being a tube gear lunatic....

    I heard a pair of Hartsfields once playing Pink Floyd and I thought there was very much that sounded wonderful even if there were faults I could also hear.

    I would love to have a modern version of that system today!!!

    Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

  9. #24
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,964
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I would love to have a modern version of that system today!!!
    You mean something like this: http://classicaudioloudspeakers.com/...=27&content=28

    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  10. #25
    Unabashed Speakerholic cosmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Interesting! Do you have a description of your system somewhere?
    Pos,

    Unfortunately, it wasn't my system. It was run quad-amped with a Marchand crossover. The 2245 had approximately 16 Cu Ft of cabinet and was tuned quite low.

    However, it sounded so good, I have accumulated a pair of 2245, 2204 and 2405 for the slated purpose of replicating this system. I am still looking for a pair of 375/2441/2440 drivers. I do have a pair of 2445 that I guess I could use for the interim. The original 375 drivers were mounted on H93. I would not duplicate this part of the system, but might use Yuichi, Edgar or other horns in their place. The other thought I had was to possibly use 2226 in place of the 2204.. or 2118 if I was trying to downsize.

  11. #26
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    I think a $300 pair of L7's is awfully hard to beat. .

    does a $100 pair of L7's beat them ?

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=27291


    BEST JBL ever ???

    the ones you missed on CL or Ebay by 2 minutes or .50 cents
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

  12. #27
    Unabashed Speakerholic cosmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    BEST JBL ever ???

    the ones you missed on CL or Ebay by 2 minutes or .50 cents
    Like the pair of L300 I recently missed in Lima for $225 that the guy took a week to respond back to me.. and when he did he said that he had finally posted pictures and a model number and wanted me to give him my phone number. Of course, by the time I saw his e-mail and the pictures, the speakers were already sold..

    His entire original description said "large JBL home spaekers - $225"



    arrrghh

  13. #28
    Senior Member pos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Pos,

    Unfortunately, it wasn't my system. It was run quad-amped with a Marchand crossover. The 2245 had approximately 16 Cu Ft of cabinet and was tuned quite low.

    However, it sounded so good, I have accumulated a pair of 2245, 2204 and 2405 for the slated purpose of replicating this system. I am still looking for a pair of 375/2441/2440 drivers. I do have a pair of 2445 that I guess I could use for the interim. The original 375 drivers were mounted on H93. I would not duplicate this part of the system, but might use Yuichi, Edgar or other horns in their place. The other thought I had was to possibly use 2226 in place of the 2204.. or 2118 if I was trying to downsize.
    16cuft
    Do you remember the crossover point and slopes between 2245 and 2204?

  14. #29
    Unabashed Speakerholic cosmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    16cuft
    Do you remember the crossover point and slopes between 2245 and 2204?
    Pos,

    Not exactly, but it was around 100 Hz. It appears 2245 is very limited on it's upward range and should be considered solely a sub. Is that your experience?

    In my thinking, a 2225, 2226 or E145 could give more slam and nicer sound than 2204 when operated from 80-100 Hz up to the 600 to 800 where I'd cross to a compression driver.

    What a system that should make!

  15. #30
    Dang. Amateur speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Pos,

    Not exactly, but it was around 100 Hz. It appears 2245 is very limited on it's upward range and should be considered solely a sub. Is that your experience . . . .
    When set up as a sub, 10+ cu ft and tuned low, it should be used as a sub. When set up as a woofer, 8-9 cu ft and tuned to about 30 Hz, as in the 4345, then it works well as a woofer; one of the best.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. JBL CBT series
    By JBL 4645 in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM
  2. JBL cinema surround thread
    By JBL 4645 in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 03:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •