Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best JBL EVER?

From the pro sector I am still a big fan of 2395 lenses with 2441 drivers.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaplas View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all my JBL's. I am an avid audiophile for and own L300's, L200's L100 t3's, JBL Everest II's and waiting on the arrival of a pair of Century Gold's. I plan to add a pair of 4300 series as well as a Paragon before I am done.

Aloha,

Shane
    Aloha Shane,

That's an incredible collection you have going. Literally "Living in Paradise" with vintage, top level JBL... awesome. Congrats!

I think I could live that way too..

For the record, my favorite JBL system is either the 250Ti-LE or a home brew concoction with 2245/2204/375/077. In either case, incredible sound.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    a home brew concoction with 2245/2204/375/077
    Interesting! Do you have a description of your system somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaplas View Post
    Question for all memebers

1. What was/is the best JBL ever...(PRICE NO OBJECT)?

2. What was the best value JBL speaker given price and performance.

The tiny Control 1 in its various forms has to be a candidate here. JBL must have sold gazillions of these little fellahs. Performance beyond the price tag.

I have a pair Control 1 Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    [/color]

The tiny Control 1 in its various forms has to be a candidate here. JBL must have sold gazillions of these little fellahs. Performance beyond the price tag.
    I'm always amazed at the sound from this small speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I'm always amazed at the sound from this small speaker.
    I'm always amazed what they sell for on Ebay when you can buy them all day long brand-new on Harman's online store for $149. Never owned a pair. Maybe I should. How do they compare to the L1 or L20T?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

For the longest time there was a seemingly endless supply of Control 1's being sold through an as-is vendor on Ebay. Most of the pairs sold for about $20-30 shipped and had one flaw or another.

I bought two pairs with different problems and ended up with three like new Control 1's for under $50 I think. I still have and use the good pair. They make really nice nearfield speakers, an ideal choice to use on a desk, for example. But I wouldn't really place them anywhere near a pair of L1's, which stomp all over them if you have the room for them.

I have also had a pair of L20t3's but didn't care for them at all. I thought they were very neutral speakers, but not inviting to listen to at all. Much prefer L1's.

I'd vote in the poll but I'm not really qualified enough to vote for either based upon MSRP.

Based upon my own limited experience, I think a $300 pair of L7's is awfully hard to beat. But I've also missed out on a chance at L250's around $750.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Being a tube gear lunatic....

I heard a pair of Hartsfields once playing Pink Floyd and I thought there was very much that sounded wonderful even if there were faults I could also hear.

I would love to have a modern version of that system today!!!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I would love to have a modern version of that system today!!!
    You mean something like this: http://classicaudioloudspeakers.com/...=27&content=28

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Interesting! Do you have a description of your system somewhere?
    Pos,

Unfortunately, it wasn't my system. It was run quad-amped with a Marchand crossover. The 2245 had approximately 16 Cu Ft of cabinet and was tuned quite low.

However, it sounded so good, I have accumulated a pair of 2245, 2204 and 2405 for the slated purpose of replicating this system. I am still looking for a pair of 375/2441/2440 drivers. I do have a pair of 2445 that I guess I could use for the interim. The original 375 drivers were mounted on H93. I would not duplicate this part of the system, but might use Yuichi, Edgar or other horns in their place. The other thought I had was to possibly use 2226 in place of the 2204.. or 2118 if I was trying to downsize.

Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    I think a $300 pair of L7's is awfully hard to beat. .

does a $100 pair of L7's beat them ?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=27291

BEST JBL ever ???

the ones you missed on CL or Ebay by 2 minutes or .50 cents
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    BEST JBL ever ???

the ones you missed on CL or Ebay by 2 minutes or .50 cents
    Like the pair of L300 I recently missed in Lima for $225 that the guy took a week to respond back to me.. and when he did he said that he had finally posted pictures and a model number and wanted me to give him my phone number. Of course, by the time I saw his e-mail and the pictures, the speakers were already sold..

His entire original description said "large JBL home spaekers - $225"

arrrghh

Pos,

Unfortunately, it wasn't my system. It was run quad-amped with a Marchand crossover. The 2245 had approximately 16 Cu Ft of cabinet and was tuned quite low.

However, it sounded so good, I have accumulated a pair of 2245, 2204 and 2405 for the slated purpose of replicating this system. I am still looking for a pair of 375/2441/2440 drivers. I do have a pair of 2445 that I guess I could use for the interim. The original 375 drivers were mounted on H93. I would not duplicate this part of the system, but might use Yuichi, Edgar or other horns in their place. The other thought I had was to possibly use 2226 in place of the 2204.. or 2118 if I was trying to downsize.
    16cuft
    Do you remember the crossover point and slopes between 2245 and 2204?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    16cuft
    Do you remember the crossover point and slopes between 2245 and 2204?
    Pos,

Not exactly, but it was around 100 Hz. It appears 2245 is very limited on it's upward range and should be considered solely a sub. Is that your experience?

In my thinking, a 2225, 2226 or E145 could give more slam and nicer sound than 2204 when operated from 80-100 Hz up to the 600 to 800 where I'd cross to a compression driver.

What a system that should make!

Pos,

Not exactly, but it was around 100 Hz. It appears 2245 is very limited on it's upward range and should be considered solely a sub. Is that your experience . . . .
    When set up as a sub, 10+ cu ft and tuned low, it should be used as a sub. When set up as a woofer, 8-9 cu ft and tuned to about 30 Hz, as in the 4345, then it works well as a woofer; one of the best.

Thread Information