Thread: Oscar best sound and sound effects nominations 2010

JBL 4645

Oscar best sound and sound effects nominations 2010

I’m more of a keen a listener for technical awards.

I guess will all, have to wait till March 7th until it’s unveiled live!

This years best sound and sound effects editing nominations are

Sound Editing
    “Avatar” Christopher Boyes and Gwendolyn Yates Whittle
    “The Hurt Locker” Paul N.J. Ottosson
    “Inglourious Basterds” Wylie Stateman
    “Star Trek” Mark Stoeckinger and Alan Rankin
    “Up” Michael Silvers and Tom Myers

Sound Mixing
    “Avatar” Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers, Andy Nelson and Tony Johnson
    “The Hurt Locker” Paul N.J. Ottosson and Ray Beckett
    “Inglourious Basterds” Michael Minkler, Tony Lamberti and Mark Ulano
    “Star Trek” Anna Behlmer, Andy Nelson and Peter J. Devlin
    “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers and Geoffrey Patterson

I have only one of this nominee on Bluray Star Trek and I was quite impressed I think most of us where impressed with the sound mix on this summer blockbuster.

There are few that are out on bluray that I might consider picking up before the ceremony. “Inglourious Basterds” has Michael Minkler and been quite impressed with his past works of achievement, such as Black Hawk Down and Chicago (DVD).

“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” now not being a huge Bay fan I guess I could consider it a worth by for Greg P. Russell and former Skywalker Sound (Gary Summers) whom has picked up Oscar several times in the past.

“Up” “The Hurt Locker” and “Avatar” not out on region B and I guess money is riding on “Avatar” to sweep the sound awards which wouldn’t surprise me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645

Thumbs up The hurt locker 10 out of 10

Wow, wow, wow 10 out of 10 for The Hurt Locker it was intensively intensified sinking at times grittily pulse rising.

I had to reduce the level of the LFE.1 track down touch during the opening as I had sixth sense this was going to go down low and very dynamic in level.

The use of the sound field voices panned over the LCR and occasionally onto the split-stereo surrounds totally encompassed around listening area. I could almost taste the dryness of the desert openness.

This was an eye opener, on what it takes for bomb disposal troops working in Iraq.

I kinder lost my appetite as some of the scenes was just shocking, the kinder thing you’d see on the news.

One little gripe I have is the dtsHDMA the end credits clearly shows Dolby digital. Optimum Release could at least put two digital tracks for the consumer to chose.

Other than that it was flawless mix. It stands good chance of winner best sound. We shall see on the BIG NIGHT?

One last thing Kathryn Bigelow for best director, wow!

Some waterfalls of this years Academy Award nominated best sound and sound effects editing The Hurt Locker chapter 1 time 8m:27s to 9m:35s

JBL 4645

Thumbs up The hurt locker 10 out of 10

More wacky waterfalls

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    If you are gonna do all these splat patterns and such, AT LEAST GET THE NAME OF THE MOVIE RIGHT!!!

Its The HURT Locker, not The HUNT Locker ... sheesh
    Didn’t I mention before that I’m dyslexic?

The Hunt Locker wow I’d have to edit the post wave to the future and I only have 24 hours in which to do otherwise I’m buggered.

Edit complete!
    I must have been thinking it rimes with Hunt LOL plus I’ve been up 14 hours since 6am and I’m knackered.

The Oscars will be quite interesting this year. AVATAR is a Motion Caption. The Hurt Locker is a Motion Picture.

JBL 4645

Inglourious Basterds 7 out of 10

This is one that I can’t even watch again. Overlong too much centred dialogue no crazy dialogue panning wow I seriously got stiff bored at times waiting for bloody onslaught bloodbath which really didn’t come till the end.

Wow at 2 hours 22 minutes (The Wilhelm Scream) was placed on the sound of falling Nazi out bell tower.

I’d find it tense at times but it really dragged at the opening and in the middle.

The explosively ending with the cinema going up in smoke due to extremely flammable film, god damn the LFE.1 belted out a large that felt like earthquake.

LFE.1 was sparingly used while LCRS produced most of the low end.

The part when “Putting out fire” by (David Bowie) featured in Cat People (1982) was bizarre nice touch it sounded better then region 2 DVD end credits, without having to play the DVD as I heard it many times before.

So I have to give the sound a fair 7 out of 10.

I see this as the weakest best sound, sound effects editing. Well we shall see on the BIG NIGHT?

In might consider doing a few only few tiny waterfalls because this really did bore me to tears waiting for action.

Even Sooty was nodding off and he gives it 1 paw rating.

JBL 4645

'The Hurt Locker'

Best Sound
    'The Hurt Locker'
    Paul N.J. Ottosson and Ray Beckett

Best sound effects editing
    'The Hurt Locker'
    Paul N.J. Ottosson

Too bad on AVATAR and STAR TREK

The Hurt Locker
    Paul N.J.Ottosson and Ray Beckett