Thread: Jbl Le15b--16 Ohm Version???

Jbl Le15b--16 Ohm Version???

Good evening. It is a pleasure to make my first post on here. I have used this site as a learning tool for some time and just joined today. I am ready to contribute however that I can in the future. But first, I have a question...
    I bought a pair of JBL L200 woofers...they were the LE15B. The original owner said his lenses fell into the cones back in the seventies and around 79 he had them reconed because of the damage the lenses caused to them.
    All of the 15B's I have seen have the gray cone. However, these cones are black and are labeled WHF 5516(I believe the last digit is a 6. The last digit on each cone is a little offset and hard to read)
    These were supposed to have been reconed by JBL itself in '79. The next peculiarity is that each one measures a 10.3 and 10.8 resistance as if it were possibly reconed to 16 ohms.
    Does anyone have any ideas on this? The frames and foil labels are exactly like every other LE15B I have ever seen. Just the cone and ohm reading have me wondering what is up. Thank you so much!

Here are a few photos...

Here are a few photos of the woofers I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

waldom

Those are aftermarket waldom cone kits. The "W" gives it away. Looks like a painted aluminum dustcap too.

In Regards to the Recone Kits

That is unfortunate to hear. Thank you for sharing your knowledge there. So, any opinion on if these may have been converted to 16 ohms based on the nearly matching reading I got on them?

I don't think converted is the correct term. I assume that the 5516 in the part number denotes a 16ohm voicecoil. My guess is that a naive previous owner took his blown 15B woofers to an unauthorized repair shop who was able to save him a lots of money by not using the "Overpriced" JBL cones, and put in what they had, knowing the owner wouldn't know the difference. I wonder if that kit was designed for a D130?

Anyway, you're stuck with a woofer of unknown, but certainly lower quality that isn't worth anything, and requires that you determine the T/S parameters before you can build a box around them. Good luck, I think Craigslist is calling...

I think Craigslist is calling...[/quote]

I agree! Here are some replacements for you.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LE-15A-BLUE-...item19b997f250

Thread Information